Storm Drain Runoff Video by Rhoda

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Storm Drain Runoff Video by Rhoda

Post by nwscubamom »

Rhoda Green was underwater at Cove 1 when a flash rain storm cropped up. Here's what she filmed coming out of the storm drain:

[url=<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kI6X2KwoHGM&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kI6X2KwoHGM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>]Storm Drain Runoff Video by Rhoda[/url]
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There is a city owned combined sewer overflow in Cove1, that may very well be it.
http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wtd/cso/page02map.htm
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Yes, sorry if I didn't communicate that well in my original posting. There is a CSO there, complete with warning signs too. However, when they started the dive, it wasn't raining.

Just a graphic look at what those CSO's appear like from the bottom up. :)

BLEAH!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

:pale:

I gotta say, I don't think I would've stuck around to film that. All you'd see is a trail of bubbles, me heading in a direction away from there.

Yech.... kinda like this -> :toimonster:
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Gross! :vom:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The combined of combined sewer is typically considered to be 90% stormwater (from roads) and 10% from sewage (toilets and greywater). Seattle CSO are fairly small like that that one. King County/Metro CSOs are often huge 30-50" pipes. There's a reason people are advised to avoid Alki during and after stormevents, the advisories are mostly centered around bacteria counts (which are high in both road runoff and sewage).

I think I'd have left the water at that point as well. I also try to dive elsewhere in winter anyways. There's not even a shower now to rinse off that gunk with.
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

YUCK! I would have taken about 6 showers after that! :toimonster:
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Well all the fish seemed to be enjoying it

I am with every one else though I would have been so out of there

still a relay cool video

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

sparky wrote:Well all the fish seemed to be enjoying it

I am with every one else though I would have been so out of there

still a relay cool video

Sparky
My thoughts too, and there were lots of them swimming around, belly down. Now we know why visibility drops after a good rain and why there's so much muck at the bottom. But that's a good video, looks almost like one of those underwater volcanoes.

I wonder where all the other outfalls are at some of the more popular shore dive sites in the area? Is the Alki pipeline an active outfall?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Alki pipeline is a combined sewer overflow owned by King County. It discharges when the small treatment/pump station (the brick building ashore and slightly north) can't handle the flow.
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Reminds me of when I barfed up that Oklahoma breakfast I had just before a dive at the EUP. :vom: My two buddies below me wondered why the vis went cloudy. They failed to see the humor in it. :angryfire: Shouldn't have said anything.:axe: