Cove 2 go boom?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Cove 2 go boom?

Post by Penopolypants »

Sergeant Pepper and I were diving Cove 2 early this morning and heard a few loud, sharp explosion-type sounds. They weren't successive and seemed random. I have heard them once before although I can't quite remember what time of day I heard them the first time.

Has anybody else heard them and/or have a clue as to what they are? I kept looking around to see whose tank had exploded.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

That was probably Nailer doing Boom drills. #-o
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I hered them also a few weeks ago. I thought mabey some kinda O-ring failure. 40 minute dive I hered that noise about 6 times..
Who run barter town?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Cove 2 go boom?

Post by Joshua Smith »

Penopolypants wrote:Sergeant Pepper and I were diving Cove 2 early this morning and heard a few loud, sharp explosion-type sounds. They weren't successive and seemed random. I have heard them once before although I can't quite remember what time of day I heard them the first time.

Has anybody else heard them and/or have a clue as to what they are? I kept looking around to see whose tank had exploded.

I've heard this, too- a couple of times, on a recent dive. I had a theory it was the floating platform by the water taxi slapping the water in just the right way when a wake hit it, or something, but I didn't walk down and check it out. It was really loud, and I immediately reached back for my valves, thinking a burst disk had blown......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I thought maybe someone was dynamite fishing. To me it sounded like a small explosion, or something large and not very hyrdodynamic being dropped into the water from a decent height.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Pile driving? This time of year is an "in water" construction season.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I don't think it's pile driving...that has a rhythm, this was random and spaced far apart. It could be some other construction related noise, though.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Well the drydocks are real close. It could of had to do with something there.
Charles
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

The dry docks were the other thing that I thought about. Maybe loading containers onto a ship?
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Naah... I work around those containers some, and any loader/forklift operator/crane operator clumsy enough to make that kind of a boom loading containers would not be employed long.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Remember sound can really travel a long distance underwater. It could have been something all the way across the harbor.
I was diving there once with Zen Diver and Bob Lew. I kept hearing these horrible pounding, clanging noises. It made my whole body pound. They started when we were pretty deep. I looked over at Valerie who wasn't reacting at all, Bob's deaf so he of course wasn't reacting. I thought, I'm really narced! But the noises kept up until we were pretty shallow so I figured it was some sort of construction going on somewhere. Nothing to be seen anywhere around Cove 2 so I thought it may have come from over in Seattle somewhere. Valerie heard them too and was going through the same thing I was. I guess we just kept looking at each other when the other one wasn't looking.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option