What kind of anemone am I?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

What kind of anemone am I?

Post by Chevayea »

Can anyone tell me what kind of Anemones these are? It was taken at Alki, cove 2 and we aren't exactly sure what they are. Thank!
Last edited by Chevayea on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i'm going to guess that it's a type of plumose called a Metridium Senile. but i'm not an expert, just a guy with a book...
Crystaltear
Avid Diver

Post by Crystaltear »

They look like Orange Zoanthid (Epizoanthus scotinus), up to 2 inches tall, usually can be found from intertidal to 180 ft.

I could be wrong.
Guanjin
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Hi Crystaltear, that sure does look like 'em, doesn't it.

Thanks!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Crystaltear wrote:They look like Orange Zoanthid (Epizoanthus scotinus), up to 2 inches tall, usually can be found from intertidal to 180 ft.

I could be wrong.
looks like it to me, too. thanks for the correction, i guess i need more books...
Crystaltear
Avid Diver

Post by Crystaltear »

:$
I actually saw those a few times diving in BC, and confused them with the strawberry anemone(♡♡) until I was corrected. #-o That's why I kept it in mind :p
Guanjin
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Crystaltear wrote::$
I actually saw those a few times diving in BC, and confused them with the strawberry anemone(♡♡) until I was corrected. #-o That's why I kept it in mind :p
That's what my dive buddy thought they were too but it just didn't seem to fit the profile. Thanks for the links and insight. Well done!