Cove 2 death?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

hard to say if his tank was dry, one of my students who performed CPR thinks he had gas, not sure if he was slinging a 40cf bottle, but I know he owned one.
Truthfully I had done one dive with him before and he was over-weighted, i suggested he shave some pounds on the next dive we would do a weight check, but we never did a dive again.

Josh brought Reasa to the shop to be certified so he could propose to her underwater, the story should be inthe next NAUI Sources magazine. He was a DIT student and when he purchased the 40cf bottle from me, he said it was for DIT. I thought I should give him my anti-solo divign speach but lately I have been getting soft with my views as more people become advocates for solo diving. I kick myself now.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Slightly off topic but does anyone know what the DIT curriculum is like? Do they train from OW or is one already OW OC trained before enrolling at DIT?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

OW is part of their required curriculum. They typically bring instructors in from local dive shops to teach the class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

gcbryan wrote:Slightly off topic but does anyone know what the DIT curriculum is like? Do they train from OW or is one already OW OC trained before enrolling at DIT?
DIT used to teach OW and AOW in the begining of their course. They stopped because too many students were dropping out because they either couldn't handle it, or became bored with the recreational diving part. DIT now does the recreational certification at the end of the class, right before they graduate. From what I understand, it is all NAUI training.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Found this ...

http://www.komotv.com/news/13486762.html

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Sad story.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

I feel esp terribly for his fiance'. Tragic. ....

There was one thing that caught my eye in this string that I didn't notice anyone else discuss:

From lamont's entry / forwarding jodomonk's account:
jodomonk wrote: ........... I heard his fiance mention something about him being prone to panic attacks. ......
If accurate, that makes a really poor recipe for scuba diving at all, let alone going solo.
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

You know, I didn't notice that. You are right, panic has no place under water.

I'd like to see though just how clear headed I am when something bad does happen to me though. Practice, practice, practice till I no longer have to think about dealing with problems and it becomes second nature.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

TCWestby wrote:You know, I didn't notice that. You are right, panic has no place under water.

I'd like to see though just how clear headed I am when something bad does happen to me though. Practice, practice, practice till I no longer have to think about dealing with problems and it becomes second nature.
Practice is good ... more people should do it (most divers don't). But dealing with a real emergency isn't anything like practice. Adrenalin kicks in ... emotions become an impediment (yours and theirs) ... and things NEVER happen the way you practice them.

Even a diver who's not panicking can do really unpredictable things that can get you in trouble ... had a guy go LOA on me once at China Wall. I donated my air, gave him an OK, and signaled to ascend ... just like we do in practice ... then he reached over, grabbed his inflator, and inflated his BCD ... #-o

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

TCWestby wrote:I'd like to see though just how clear headed I am when something bad does happen to me though. Practice, practice, practice till I no longer have to think about dealing with problems and it becomes second nature.
You hear all the time about soldiers, marines, pilots, EMTs, LEOs, etc who say "then the training kicks in and...". Notice they're the ones talking, not their buddy. Train, practice, take classes and don't go outside your comfort zone.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

laivindil wrote:You hear all the time about soldiers, marines, pilots, EMTs, LEOs, etc who say "then the training kicks in and...". Notice they're the ones talking, not their buddy. Train, practice, take classes and don't go outside your comfort zone.
I agree with this.

Having been in adrenline pumped situations, the training DOES kick in. That being said, when a police officer is in a shooting situation, it's very different from the range. This is why the training has to be as random and varied as possible. The more variety of training and practice you've got, the more prepared you may be for the REALLY strange situation that comes at you. It helps you to keep your mind open to the next bizarre situation that will come at you and thereby will help you be more prepared for the appropriate response.

I also think there is such a thing as too much training - sometimes you just need to have fun.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!