You too can dive with 6 gills for $2300!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

You too can dive with 6 gills for $2300!

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Seems a bit much to me, what does it cost for a 100#'s of chum? Also, how thrilling can it realy be to be in a cage? :dontknow: I wondered when this would be comercialized. #-o

http://www.teamhydrus.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Gee, do you think I was in danger when Bob and I found our six gill and we weren't in a cage?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:Gee, do you think I was in danger when Bob and I found our six gill and we weren't in a cage?
It's a wonder you're still alive. That unified team training really kicked in when you kept Bob between you and the big fish. #-o

In reality though (just so newer divers who might not hear the sarcasm), if there is food/chum/etc. in the water (as is with this charter operation) and the sharks are blinded by lights (any dive light really), they may nibble on or "taste" whatever they bump into... which at the very least would cause a flood of two different colors of salt water should they bump into you. :pale:

It reminds me of a cartoon of two sharks talking while looking up at divers... one shark says to the other "don't eat the hard shell on the back - it'll give you gas."
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Fl allowed shark feeding dives and for a few years they were super popular. It was maybe 3 yrs ago that the blacktips started munching on swimmers. There were maybe 6-8 attacks that summer?? Ban on shark feeds next legislative session el pronto. Far fewer conflicts with swimmers ever since, imagine that.

Last week 3 slightly high and drunk kids taunt a tiger. Which then jumps its undersized fence, kills 1 and maims 2.

Its just a really bad idea to tease and feed things with big teeth. ](*,)
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I have to disagree with you Richard. The Aquarium has feeding the sharks for years and so have some other groups. More sightings of 6 gills at Cove 2 might be a result but there have been no attacks on divers (whether involved with the feeding or not). Feeding 6 gills is different than feeding other sharks with respect to shark attacks on non-involved people. It's not going to be a problem for swimmers here because there are not that many to begin with and the 6 gills stay deep in the day. Also 6 gills are not as aggressive as their warm water counter parts.

Now, I am not saying that feeding 6 gills is without risk for the people involved. They will eat you if you let them so don't do it! We don't need any more legislation to protect us from ourselves.

Now if you want to discuss feeding wild animals in general then that's for another thread...
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

There are a few people doing this trip. He has several that are sold out.

My impression is they are marketing this trip to people who are into diving with sharks. Last year, they dove with great whites, this year 6 gills.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yes the aquarium has been luring shark for a few years. But you can't otherwise dive the waterfront area. And there's some point to it researchwise. But it always amazes me how 'shocked' people are when something turns around and bites their butt. Like its an accident or something.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm with Jeff and Richard on this one. I see the shark feeding as having potential to create an association for the fish, but I don't think sixgills are a threat to swimmers (for sure, for reasons Jeff stated) or really to divers... unless there is active feeding going on. Moreover, the feedings the aquarium do, as I think was mentioned, do not involve hand-feeding which brings the diver=food solution to the fish's where do I find food equasion.

I guess I'm just against them commercializing the sixgills... because I like them.

I do stand by my statement, however, that if sixgills are feeding (oh say, where people have placed food in the water), and one bumps into you because it can't see well, you'll most likely end up getting nipped.

Would they eat you if you allowed them to? Of course - no doubt! But no, they're not as aggressive as other species of sharks.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Jeff Kruse wrote:I have to disagree with you Richard. The Aquarium has feeding the sharks for years and so have some other groups. More sightings of 6 gills at Cove 2 might be a result but there have been no attacks on divers (whether involved with the feeding or not). Feeding 6 gills is different than feeding other sharks with respect to shark attacks on non-involved people. It's not going to be a problem for swimmers here because there are not that many to begin with and the 6 gills stay deep in the day. Also 6 gills are not as aggressive as their warm water counter parts.

Now, I am not saying that feeding 6 gills is without risk for the people involved. They will eat you if you let them so don't do it! We don't need any more legislation to protect us from ourselves.

Now if you want to discuss feeding wild animals in general then that's for another thread...
Question... they will eat you if you let them? How do you not let them eat you? Try to not look so chewy? I'm not trying to start an arguement here (the board has been a bit sensitive as of late), that statement just struck me funny.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.