Going, Going, Gone!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Going, Going, Gone!

Post by dwashbur »

That's what this guy did. During our final dive at Monterey, under Wharf #2, we encountered this little guy, about 3-4 inches long. As we watched, he stood on his tail, dug a hole with it, worked his way down and vanished. Malinda and I just stared, astonished, while Kathy snapped pictures with the Canon as quickly as the flash would recharge. First, the pictures, then the conundrum:

After that last one, he not only disappeared beneath the sand, but did some wiggling under it until even the little mound left behind settled and was no more. Curious, I dug a little with my finger where we had seen him go down. He wasn't there. Where he went, I have no clue. But that's not the problem. The problem is one of ID.

Humann p. 79 lists two species that do this tail-burrowing thing. We initially identified this guy as the Catalina Conger, Gnathophis catalinensis, based on its appearance and the burrowing thing. But today we happened to be looking at this site:

metridium.com/monterey/fish/fish.html

and noticed that his picture of the Spotted Cusk-Eel, Chilara taylori, looks just like our guy. We hadn't considered that critter, because one of Humann's boldface ID features is the dark brown spots all over the body. Our guy doesn't have that. And from our pictures (and our memory) we're not sure whether he actually has the whisker-like dingfods under his chin, though it sure looks like it in a couple of our shots. The range on the Conger is a little iffy, depending on one's definition of "southern California," so I'm not sure. Either way, it was mesmerising to watch. We actually came upon a second one, but he did his burrowing thing before we could even think about getting the cameras into play.

Thoughts?
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Did he make little beeping noises as he backed into that hole?

Very nice sequence ... =D>

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Dave, how cool!!!

I've never seen one of these guys - that must have been a real treat to watch him backing into the ground like that.

Anyway, my vote is for the Spotted Cusk-Eel. (are we voting?)

Your guy clearly has the whisker-like ventral fins (how totally weird!), which the Catalina Conger lacks. PLUS, Gotshall's Pacific Coast Inshore Fishes (another recommended book to keep on hand that covers California) explains that young Spotted Cusk-Eels (under 4 inches) lack spots!! :book:

So, ta daaaaaa! There you have it!

Spotted Cusk-Eel it is indeed!

No more conundrum. You can get some sleep now.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Grateful Diver wrote:little beeping noises

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Ha Ha! \:D/ Thanks for the laugh!
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.