Help ID'ing These Stars

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Help ID'ing These Stars

Post by dwashbur »

I suspect they're both the same kind. They were maybe 5" across each. My daughter thinks they're just your basic ochre stars, juveniles maybe, I'm not so sure. I found them both within about 50 feet of each other around the Narrows Bridge yesterday (2-3-08).

Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Anybody figure this out yet? I'm insanely curious, not to mention impatient :-({|=
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
whatevah
Aquanaut

Re: Help ID'ing These Stars

Post by whatevah »

dwashbur wrote:I suspect they're both the same kind. They were maybe 5" across each. My daughter thinks they're just your basic ochre stars, juveniles maybe, I'm not so sure. I found them both within about 50 feet of each other around the Narrows Bridge yesterday (2-3-08).
I think your daughter is right. The second specimen has unusual (by my own experience) coloration but they certainly fit the description for Pisaster ochraceus.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm no critter maven at all, but I was taught that the pentagon on the central disc was positive identification of an ochre star.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames