Another dive job

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Another dive job

Post by Diver_Dave »

3rd boat this week and its ony Thursday.....

D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

seems like they can't keep their boats afloat there in Alaska.
Scott
Avid Diver

Post by Scott »

The viz sure looks good.

Scott
Nootka Sound- probably the best kept secret on the west coast
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

As this is under the "diving education" portion of this forum, I'd like to ask what this sort of job looks like. What exactly is the procedure to resurrect a boat having been recently forced underwater by the elements? Do you complete the task with a team, or is it a one man job? (please tell me it is the latter, because that would be awesome...I get the image of a guy with a bed mattress poorly strapped to the top of the car, arm out the window as if he could actually prevent it from flying off while driving down the road...only single-handedly an entire boat is brought from the depths).

Logically I'd say a crane of some sort, or lifting bags...but that dock doesn't look fit for a crane and I wouldn't think lift bags would work too well in 10 fsw. Plus, if those were a viable option, how would you counter the weight of water in the boat? Too much stress on the hull?
hoover
Frequent Bubbler

Post by hoover »

mancub wrote:Plus, if those were a viable option, how would you counter the weight of water in the boat? Too much stress on the hull?
he hasn't responded yet, and I have done a few de-sinkings on smaller scale. the weight of water on the inside of the hull isn't an issue unless you brink the boat up high in the water so that the inner waterline is higher than the outer waterline. only THEN does it exert pressure on the hull....and it isn't necessarily that much if the waterline difference is only a couple inches.

all you have to do is get the boat to the surface using floatation or lines/winches so that the rail of the boat is at the surface (or slightly above). this gives you just a hair of freeboard all around, then you just drop a pump in and watch the rest of your freeboard come back.

i have done this singlehanded with a 20' keelboat i intentionally sunk at the dock to test floatation.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Scott wrote:The viz sure looks good.

Scott
Yesssssss! the vis looks very good!
I'll let you guys know, how good, in a couple of weeks! :supz: :supz: :supz:

The only thing better might be a trip to Bonair.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I think Dave uses a combination of bags and His boom on his boat.

We generally use bags. If all went well, with 2 divers, and a surface guy this would be be about a 3 hour job. If not, it could take all day.

Whit this boat, the biggest problem would be keeping it from rolling once you had some lift on it. That comes with experience and proper bag placement and proper bag filling sequence.

Once you get the gunwales out of the water, the scuppers plugged and all the other holes plugged, hit it with pumps.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Re: Another dive job

Post by thelawgoddess »

Diver_Dave wrote:3rd boat this week and its ony Thursday.....

ouch. that so sucks!!!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Re:

Post by diver-dad »

mancub wrote:As this is under the "diving education" portion of this forum, I'd like to ask what this sort of job looks like. What exactly is the procedure to resurrect a boat having been recently forced underwater by the elements? Do you complete the task with a team, or is it a one man job? (please tell me it is the latter, because that would be awesome...I get the image of a guy with a bed mattress poorly strapped to the top of the car, arm out the window as if he could actually prevent it from flying off while driving down the road...only single-handedly an entire boat is brought from the depths).

Logically I'd say a crane of some sort, or lifting bags...but that dock doesn't look fit for a crane and I wouldn't think lift bags would work too well in 10 fsw. Plus, if those were a viable option, how would you counter the weight of water in the boat? Too much stress on the hull?
I'd start with getting the snow off of it that put it down to begin with?

I would imagine that would allow the compartmented bouyancy of the hull to raise it some, and it would be more predictable (less likely to move unexpectedly should snow slide off of part of it while you're diving on it).

the rest, I'm nor sure about... :dontknow: ... but from reading above, looks like bags would be the way to go....
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain