I Took The Plunge

General banter about diving and why we love it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: I Took The Plunge

Post by CaptnJack »

Cool. Just be aware of the potential for "dropped knees" kicking up silty poo. Not that its necessarily a disaster for many dives. Although your pics might end up a little "snowy" if the currents aren't in your favor. I actually use my suit for alot of my bouyancy too
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

CaptnJack wrote:Cool. Just be aware of the potential for "dropped knees" kicking up silty poo. Not that its necessarily a disaster for many dives. Although your pics might end up a little "snowy" if the currents aren't in your favor. I actually use my suit for alot of my bouyancy too
[-X :bootyshake:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Its freeze and then end up in the chamber or use my suit for bouyancy a fair amount. Choose your poison. At least I'm not solo diving :violent3:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

CaptnJack wrote:Cool. Just be aware of the potential for "dropped knees" kicking up silty poo. Not that its necessarily a disaster for many dives. Although your pics might end up a little "snowy" if the currents aren't in your favor. I actually use my suit for alot of my bouyancy too
Yup. Been there, done that, and have worked hard on trim and the appropriate kicks to avoid that. How successful I've been is another story... Doug or someone else I dive with occasionally / regularly is probably a better judge than I am. Back in cold water and the giant zip-lock baggie they call a dry suit the first challenge that I noticed was going head down to take a pic. Doable, but not easy, just a skill to work back into.
CaptnJack wrote:Its freeze and then end up in the chamber or use my suit for bouyancy a fair amount. Choose your poison. At least I'm not solo diving :violent3:
Me too! I was COLD yesterday, even using my dry suit for buoyancy... sigh... need a Weezle... sigh... more scuba units that I don't have. :-({|=

Finding the proper trim with different gear configs isn't always easy, and sure isn't taught in typical open water classes, but that's another rant that shall not happen today! :rr:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yes, Tom has made the switch from knee-down photography to hovering photography... and now he doesn't have to snap a few pictures quickly before the cloud shows up. We've all certainly been there!! Tom's trim is great and he's developed a good frogkick too - I have lots of Bonaire photos of Tom photographing something in great form... now if we could just do something about those split fins!! :smt064
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:Yes, Tom has made the switch from knee-down photography to hovering photography... and now he doesn't have to snap a few pictures quickly before the cloud shows up. We've all certainly been there!! Tom's trim is great and he's developed a good frogkick too - I have lots of Bonaire photos of Tom photographing something in great form... now if we could just do something about those split fins!! :smt064
Thanks Doug... (I think!?)

Perhaps if they made blade fins that didn't weigh 5lbs apiece and feel like 3/4" plywood nailed on your feet I might be persuaded! :axe: (I do need a stiffer fin, however... every model of split fin I've seen since I've bought mine is stiffer than the ones I purchased (Including the newer ones of exactly the same name) :violent1: before my open water class 2 and a half years ago.)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

We've all been knees-down at some point... and you said that someone like me who you dive with regularly could confirm whether you've fixed that or not... and you have! So I'm just confirming what you said!

...but I'll always give you a hard time about your splitties. :bootyshake:

MY latest thing is maintaining depth within less than +/- 1' while task loaded... ](*,) Everybody should have something their working on!!

That'd be a great thread... "what's your next skill to tackle?!" \:D/
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Sounder wrote:We've all been knees-down at some point... and you said that someone like me who you dive with regularly could confirm whether you've fixed that or not... and you have! So I'm just confirming what you said!

MY latest thing is maintaining depth within less than +/- 1' while task loaded... ](*,) Everybody should have something their working on!!

Why the hard time about split fins, Doug?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

That 5lbs is what keeps those floaty feet in check while you frog kick!
Last edited by CaptnJack on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

cardiver wrote:
Sounder wrote:We've all been knees-down at some point... and you said that someone like me who you dive with regularly could confirm whether you've fixed that or not... and you have! So I'm just confirming what you said!

Why the hard time about split fins, Doug?
Because it's hard to come up with anything else to tease Tom about!! :dontknow: