Communicating your remaining PSI

General banter about diving and why we love it.

I tell my buddy my PSI by:

using both hands in multiples of 10
No votes
using one hand in multiples of 5
51%
using the "fingers on forearm" technique
2%
showing him/her my gauge
12%
stomping my foot like Mr Ed
12%
some other way that noob didn't add to this poll
23%

Total votes: 43

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
Penopolypants wrote: Haha, what's the underwater signal for "Who the hell ate my gauge?!"
Its a derivative of "6"
=D> :prayer:

Nerd Alert!

The derivative of any constant is zero. #-o

For anyone who didn't catch it - "6" is signaled by 1 finger side-ways with the back of the hand toward your buddy. Which finger you elect to use is up to you...
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

CaptnJack wrote:
Penopolypants wrote: Haha, what's the underwater signal for "Who the hell ate my gauge?!"
Its a derivative of "6"
A useful signal, for sure. :supz:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Its a derivative of "6"
i use it all the time when i'm driving....
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Its a derivative of "6"
i use it all the time when i'm driving....
It also means something's broken or not working... :rr:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I've used it followed by the self hugging signal to indicate I am past the point of just being merely a little cold.......
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:I've used it followed by the self hugging signal to indicate I am past the point of just being merely a little cold.......
Sucks to dive wet, eh? :bootyshake:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

So it's settled then? From now on it's palm-out 1-5, palm-in 6-9? Lets lock this up with a vote and sign it into law. All in favor: Aye!

The Ayes have it (because I didn't hear any Nays).

-Ben
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

airsix wrote:So it's settled then? From now on it's palm-out 1-5, palm-in 6-9? Lets lock this up with a vote and sign it into law. All in favor: Aye!

-Ben
My vote would be for which ever system the buddy team feels is best... and this is the one I find works best for me.

It's interesting though, the majority of votes are for the 5's. It'd be fun to take another vote in a month or so to see if people switched.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sounder wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:I've used it followed by the self hugging signal to indicate I am past the point of just being merely a little cold.......
Sucks to dive wet, eh? :bootyshake:
Yes it does, and that's why I'm going dry! Soon as I have my selection nailed down. Gonna be warm!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

airsix wrote:So it's settled then? From now on it's palm-out 1-5, palm-in 6-9? Lets lock this up with a vote and sign it into law. All in favor: Aye!

-Ben
The poll reflects that most of us use the "Flashing Fives"
But hey, If It comes with a trip to Bonaire to learn the other way.
Sign me up!
Being that Tom Nic has been my normal dive buddy since we got certified and now he is being forced, I mean, taught, by Sounder to signal the "Other way" I'm sure I will be following that train of thougt soon.
But I will still cash in on a trip to Bonaire for sure!
After reading this thread. It seems to be a more acurrate way of signalling with the fingers up and then to the side.
so just to clarify...
How do I signal 1500 psi?
and 1000 psi?
Does my budy need to be counting multiple Zeros?
and is there a possibility of miscounting the zeros?
or mistaking a zero for an "Okay"
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

BASSMAN wrote: After reading this thread. It seems to be a more acurrate way of signalling with the fingers up and then to the side.
so just to clarify...
How do I signal 1500 psi?
and 1000 psi?
Does my budy need to be counting multiple Zeros?
and is there a possibility of miscounting the zeros?
or mistaking a zero for an "Okay"
Leave out the zeros (however, for zero, many people make an"okay" using all their fingers. In other words, instead of just the index finger to the thumb, touch all 4 fingers to your thumb.

So, 1500 would be a 1, followed by a 5.

1000 would be a 1.

You're assuming it's not 150 or 100 because:

A) You've discussed the gas plan and you've dived with this person (regular buddy) and are on the same page, or

B) You've discussed the gas plan, and since you're diving with a new (to you) buddy, you'll have an idea of where he's at on gas because you've been communicating your gas back and forth.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Strange but true...

We did our OW through one of the shops in Boise, and our instructor taught us to use the "one hand flashing fives" way. Just a couple of months later we did our AOW through the same shop, but with a different instructor. On our first dive, he asked how much air I had and I flashed it back using that method. He stared at me as if I had two heads. I finally flashed numbers at him, 1, 3, 0, 0 and he nodded and gave me an OK. So much for shop consistency!

We still use the fives because we're all used to it, though since I know the quirks of my girls' gauges now, as often as not I just ask to look at them.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

BDub wrote: So, 1500 would be a 1, followed by a 5.

1000 would be a 1.

A) You've discussed the gas plan and you've dived with this person (regular buddy) and are on the same page, or

B) You've discussed the gas plan, and since you're diving with a new (to you) buddy, you'll have an idea of where he's at on gas because you've been communicating your gas back and forth.

No assumptions. I do not want the language to change based on how long we have been in the water. What if someone has had an unexpected loss of gas or higher-than-expected consumption? If they throw you a 3 for 300 you don't want to confuse that with 3000. If you want to finish the dive signaling in hundreds, start it signaling in hundreds. Do not switch from 10s to 100s at some point mid-dive. If 3 means three hundred at the end of the dive it should not mean 3 thousand at the start. IMHO.

-Ben

ps - Everybody, HERE is another link to the one-hand numbering system in a nice one-page pdf from Advanced Diver Magazine.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:ps - Everybody, HERE is another link to the one-hand numbering system in a nice one-page pdf from Advanced Diver Magazine.
awesome, ben. thanks for that link.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

airsix wrote:
BDub wrote: So, 1500 would be a 1, followed by a 5.

1000 would be a 1.

No assumptions. I do not want the language to change based on how long we have been in the water. What if someone has had an unexpected loss of gas or higher-than-expected consumption? If they throw you a 3 for 300 you don't want to confuse that with 3000. If you want to finish the dive signaling in hundreds, start it signaling in hundreds. Do not switch from 10s to 100s at some point mid-dive. If 3 means three hundred at the end of the dive it should not mean 3 thousand at the start. IMHO.

-Ben

ps - Everybody, HERE is another link to the one-hand numbering system in a nice one-page pdf from Advanced Diver Magazine.
Maybe "assumption" was the wrong term....

My normal dive buddies don't ask how much gas I have. We know the gas plan before getting in the water and we know that each person in the team is managing their gas according to the plan. If, for some reason, we do ask each others air pressure, if I get a 1 and a 5, that's 1500. If he had a large loss of gas, chances are very good that he noticed it and/or the team noticed it. If he has a higher than normal SAC, we'll just turn the dive earlier than planned, cause he'll hit turn quicker. But, none of my buddies are going to let their gauge fall below turn or rock bottom, let alone 150psi.

If it's a buddy that I haven't dove with before, I'll ask for his/her pressure often. By the third or fourth time I've asked them I have a pretty good feel for where they're at before I even ask. Likewise, we can adjust the dive if they have a higher SAC, and if they have a loss of gas, even if they don't notice, I'm pretty confident I'll catch it quickly. And, if they're the type of diver who doesn't manage their gas (which, pretty much any student of mine would attest that is an automatic fail for any of my classes), I've asked enough to not let them fall below turn, let alone 150psi.

In addition, we are speaking in 100's throughout the dive. So, 1 and a 5 means 1500. 2 and a 4 means 2400.

Edit-
Just read Sounder's post and reread my original post. My apologies, 1000 would be a 1 and 0, NOT just a 1...early morning brain fart.
Last edited by BDub on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

For 1500, I would signal "1" then "5."

For 1000, I would signal "1" then "0."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I'm thinking that in general, body language and the size of someones eyes is gonna tell you the difference between 300 and 3000, and definitely the difference between 1500 and 150. :pale:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:I'm thinking that in general, body language and the size of someones eyes is gonna tell you the difference between 300 and 3000, and definitely the difference between 1500 and 150. :pale:
...and most gauges aren't accurate below 200psi or so anyway. If someone's at 200psi, it's time to share. Don't wait for the OOG - it's bad for your gear and causes gray hair.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Let's just all get Re-Breathers! \:D/
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

BDub wrote:Edit-
Just read Sounder's post and reread my original post. My apologies, 1000 would be a 1 and 0, NOT just a 1...early morning brain fart.
OK. Cool. That was my only concern. :salute:

-Ben
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

airsix wrote:
BDub wrote:Edit-
OK. Cool. That was my only concern. :salute:

-Ben
Good catch and good reply.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Pez7378 wrote:Let's just all get Re-Breathers! \:D/

:supz:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kenpodan
Avid Diver

Can anyone spot me ten grand?

Post by kenpodan »

Since we are all getting rebreathers now... \:D/
kenpodan
Avid Diver

Post by kenpodan »

Try this again...
I was gonna say 'can anyone spot me ten grand, since we are all getting rebreathers now'. #-o
For what it's worth though, I did a dive recently with a guy who was very new to cold water diving (this was his 2nd dive out here after getting his cert in Coz), I had no idea what he was trying to say when I asked for his pressure. Finally just swam over and looked at his guage. Better to sort that out on the surface!