Instructor Liability Thread - split from "Diver Death in HC"

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Re: Instructor Liability Thread - split from "Diver Death in HC"

Post by Peter Guy »

Dave, don't hold back. Please tell us how you REALLY feel about attorneys!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Image I try not to generalize. I know there are good ones out there, in fact I've known and worked with a few. Unfortunately, in the litigation-happy world of torts and personal injury, the ones that make the most noise (and money) are the ones with no scruples like this jerk that came after me. Thankfully, the lawyer that the insurance company hired for me was better. And I even got to date his legal secretary a couple of times while I was there :supz: At the same time, had the other guy had any scruples at all, none of it would ever have happened. After the verdict, I heard him talking with the jury forman. The foreman told him the case should never have gone that far, because they had absolutely nothing but a woman with a stiff neck whose own doctor testified that it was probably early arthritis because of her age. But this guy was playing a game: the original suit was for $50K, and just before the trial started he bumped it up to $100K, hoping my lawyer and the insurance company would settle for the lower amount. Translation: he knew he had nothing, but he tried to jerk the system around anyway just so he could get money from what he perceived as a set of deep pockets. I've seen this sort of thing too many times, having lived for 54 years in 8 different states. (Actually, I guess I can now count Washington, so it's 9. But I digress.) I've seen too many people hurt by weasels like that guy. I really hope they don't cause serious damage to the diving world the way they have to some others.

*Rant Mode Off*

And besides, my point was actually that in this sort of case, ignorance is definitely NOT bliss [-X
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

dwashburn wrote:And besides, my point was actually that in this sort of case, ignorance is definitely NOT bliss [-X
Crap! :pale: Well, I guess I knew better. That never works for me on the job either. This has been an eye opening topic however so thank you all for the education.