technical divers

General banter about diving and why we love it.
mattwave
Amphibian

Re: technical divers

Post by mattwave »

Well Put! :rr:

Yah I think Ron needs to put the word out better, I didn't even know of this last weekends trips until a few days before them, I was already teaching.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

narcosis Junky wrote:I didn't think that weather you dive a rebreather or a single tank or a double set of tanks, would be so divided up. I though all of these technics are all considered diving period. To me diving is diving. I guess some people have a little anamossity towards people who might ware there gear a little differently. I personally like this board a lot. I don't want to go find a nother board just because I may have a question about duels or a mix gas question. I think that if you are all going to feel this way, then rebreathers shouldn't have there own title of no bubles. If they are extreem, than so is tech diving. Where do you draw the line. Is it because some members on the board have a rebreather so it makes it ok. Just wondering. You guys make me curious. Personally I dive single tanks just like every body else 99.9% of the time. I'm a dive leader that deals with open water students almost every weekend. We have a photography section. How come we don't have a spear fishing section. How come we don't have a scooter section. I reallize that you can have to many sections. In my mind, it would make it easier to discuss specific topics. This is the Northwest dive club, diving is diving no matter how you look at it. All subjects should be accepted. And pease don't hate me for my freedom of speech. Just asking and wondering. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :partyman: :partyman: :partyman: :smt064
Val and Jake pretty much summed it up- we didn't want to be like other boards that have different sections for everything- I find it distracting to have hundreds of sub-categories on a board. I think that Scubaboard and The Deco Stop are good, usefull sites, but I particularly dislike the fact that they have endless sub-forums. But when Calvin and I got Rebreathers, we created a new section for them because we're self-centered pigs, and we run the show.......no, wait......it's because of the extreme differences in the diving technique and equipment!

It's a slippery slope, and you have to draw the line somewhere- Tech/ DIR/ Cave/ Sidemount/ Freediving/ Wreck/ Wreck Penetration/ Ice/ Public Safety/ Military.....these could all be seperate forums, and they are, on some sites. But, you may have brought up a good point here- I'm going to start a mod discussion about it, and see how the others feel about adding a seperate "Tech" section.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

i vote NO, keep it simple and available for all, tech is not that alien to scuba and doesn't need its own section

its Calvins site so he can have his rebreather section because they are specialized equipment
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you want a board to be a repository of information, like a library, you need to organize it into many subforums. Personally I have needed to do subforum searches on TDS to find what I wanted many times. A "search all forums" query on even a couple of search terms was way too long and full of superfluous posts. Obviously TDS and RBW are good examples of this style.

If you want to have a free but rather transient dialogue then just a couple of big headings is fine. Just don't expect people to be able to effectively search for information, it won't happen. They have to ask again and thus the same conversations pretty much reoccur. Vs. e.g. on TDS where redundant questions are quickly linked to historic threads addressing the exact same topic (often by people like me who have a deja vu feeling by a question).

To answer the OP, a "deco" or technical section here would not be very useful to me. I'm not really getting on those charters nor matching up with buddies through here so I don't have a need for a subforum. But I'm just one person, if it existed I would probably contribute in some fashion.

Ps I hope the "dive sites" subforum stays as-is. Please don't let that get cluttered. That's one of a kind.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.