What makes the sound warm up?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: What makes the sound warm up?

Post by Nwbrewer »

Especially since they are predicting massive snow runoffs Friday and saturday.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Nwbrewer wrote:Especially since they are predicting massive snow runoffs Friday and saturday.
whats the temperature of the duwamish where it dumps into elliott bay though?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

lamont wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Especially since they are predicting massive snow runoffs Friday and saturday.
whats the temperature of the duwamish where it dumps into elliott bay though?
The river is not really relevant. The Green is regulated, any snowmelt is first trapped behind Seattle's Howard Hansen Dam and then gets released (from depth). A day or 2 of hot weather doesn't change its temp much. Current temp is around 7 to 8C in Tukwila (very close to Elliot Bay's temp).
http://dnrp.metrokc.gov/WLR/Waterres/St ... cator=0309

Additionally, the general (net) circulation pattern in Elliott Bay is counterclockwise. "Up" along the waterfront, west along Magnolia. That combined with the fact that even in August the Duwamish can only create a very thin sliver of marginally warmer, less salty, less dense water on the surface means it doesn't do much overall.

Lots of things cool the Sound off. The big driver warming it up is daytime solar radiation, both short and longwave. Basically the same engine warming up streams and lakes.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

I made it to the Lake yesterday, temperatures were up 3 degrees (48->51) all the way down to 50 feet as compared to last weekend.