Too far too fast

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Re: Too far too fast

Post by Dmitchell »

Josh,

How much condensation do you have in your can after an hour dive? Not much I presume, so even inverting the unit shouldn't be a problem for the cells. With the Meg and it's little chamois inside, isn't it pretty uncommon to see much if any condensation?

I suppose if the unit was inverted and the DSV open then the head might get flooded but given the plumbing of the Meg it's still questionable.

Wonder what a Meg head does if we power it up and drop it in the bathtub? Josh, Calvin can I borrow your head for a few minutes?

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dmitchell wrote:Josh,

How much condensation do you have in your can after an hour dive? Not much I presume, so even inverting the unit shouldn't be a problem for the cells.

Actually, there's a fair bit inside of there- nothing too bad, mind you, but I wipe the inside of the sensor carriage down after every dive, and orient it "cell face down" so that any residual moisture on the cell faces can evaporate. And I'm not a "loose lipped" CCR diver- I get very little moisture in my counterlungs, loop, or in the can. I can clearly see how an inverted Meg could build up moisture over the (very small, recessed) cell faces. I mean, let's say I did an hour dive on my unit, closed the loop, and just turned the whole thing upside down- there would easilly be enough water in the small compartment that the 02 sensors ride in, to completely cover the faces of the cells. And the faces of the cells would be perfect "traps" for the condensation to collect in, in that orientation. The cells would be effectively blocked from reading the gas in the loop, because they would be underwater- 1/16" of water, but underwater nontheless. This part of the chain of events actually makes perfect sense to me.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Thanks Nailer, very helpful visual description.

So if you dropped your unit, which way would it naturally orient. Upside down, CL up and loop sorta neutral/floppy??
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:Thanks Nailer, very helpful visual description.

So if you dropped your unit, which way would it naturally orient. Upside down, CL up and loop sorta neutral/floppy??

You know, I have absolutely no idea what it would do in the water if it wasn't strapped to my back! But now, I'm curious- might have to do some testing on that. When you spend that much money on something, the idea of taking it off of my body underwater is kind of..........unsettling. (aside from the fact that it's my primary life-support system, and my back up system is physically attached to it, of course!) Might have to ask around and see- has anyone here ever doffed their Meg in the water?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have to admit that...
The only reason I know my (OC) hp100 and lp85 doubles (and all my single steel tanks) end up valve down at about a 70deg angle with the wing up is because I have to take them off get get back into my boat. I'm not sure about my Al80s on a steel BP/W. Not stuff I typically drop anywhere! Don't feel you need to test your Meg "orientaton" on my account. Or if you decide to for giggles, just don't flood it and make a caustic mess. :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.