Spear Fishing Next week...!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Spear Fishing Next week...!

Post by H20doctor »

Anyone Spear a Ling Cod....? I bought a spear Gun and want to know if anyone here on the Board is a Hunter? I am thinking Of diving the Barges In everett for a Ling.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: Spear Fishing Next week...!

Post by Pez7378 »

You spear the fish and cook it, I'll bring the beers! :occasion5:
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Something I've always wanted to try. Maybe this will be the year!
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I was given a gun but need to replace the bands, then I want to hook up with someone to show me the ropes.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

I got attacked by one earlier this year. He was lucky that it was out of season but I've got a dinner plate with his name on it. :evil4:

I've never tried a gun but i've used Hawaiian slings around here. It is fun but takes two divers to hold down a large one. you can also shoot large flounder most of the year (delicious, but make sure you are in clean water - They get stinky!) Theoretically you can take kelp greening too all year. I've never gotten one but they are just a small lingcod.

Word to the wise - Just avoid the popular dive sites so nobody get ticked off at you.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Also - just for information...

Shooting the "biggest" ling isn't a good idea. Lingcod hang out on the bottom and have worms in their meat - especially the belly meat. The larger they are, the more worms they've got. :vom: Additionally, the larger they are the more "mushy" their meat is - it's not good for eating.

Another reason NOT to take lingcod of substancial size is that the larger ones are the "breeders."

I was taught to look at the 2-3' long ones and to be prepared to grab them once you shoot it so they don't get off the spear and head off to die somewhere where you can't find them.

Hopefully Rob Holman will chime in here with more information for those who are interested. Rob is a proficient hunter and an avid conservationist - he can describe the "balance" of how to conduct responsible, sustainable hunting.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Sounder wrote:I was taught to look at the 2-3' long ones and to be prepared to grab them once you shoot it so they don't get off the spear and head off to die somewhere where you can't find them.
Yeah, with a Hawaiian sling, anything over that size would kick your butt for trying to shoot him. Plus you would probably not land him anyways.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Chevayea wrote: Word to the wise - Just avoid the popular dive sites so nobody get ticked off at you.

I hear that! Even crabbing can get people riled up. :dontknow:
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

I've been spearfishing for a long time now and Sounder is right about the bigger fish being the breeders. We usually look for Ling Cod that are in the 24" - 40" size range. Anything bigger and they are not very good eating.

An excellent piece of advice that a police officer friend of mine gave me is to be aware of what is behind your target. It could be a rock (which will break off a spear tip), log, wreck or even your buddy if you are in poor visibility. With the power of today's guns you can shoot right thru a fish and into something else.

Also be sure of what area you are fishing in as pertains to the fish and game laws. You don't want to ruin a good day of diving with a ticket because you shot the wrong species in the wrong area.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Mike
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Hopefully, as with all shooting buddies don't venture down range, and you always need to be aware of the background.

I always check the regs just to be sure. I've seen alot of crab taken out of season by divers at Mukilteo. I understand not being aware, but when I inform them of the regs I get a mind your own business remark. That's when I will make a call to a buddy that is a WFW officer to have him keep a sharper eye out. Though I've never given him names or license numbers and only would if a human life was in trouble.
Looking for dive buddies

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I was invited on a spearfishing day last season where we went to an undived site (not a "virgin site," just one that isn't dived). Every once in a while I see someone coming out of Cove 2 with a fish on a stringer - I sure wouldn't eat anything that came from Cove 2 and Iappreciate people who want to spear choosing less popular sites.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Sounder wrote:I was invited on a spearfishing day last season where we went to an undived site (not a "virgin site," just one that isn't dived). Every once in a while I see someone coming out of Cove 2 with a fish on a stringer - I sure wouldn't eat anything that came from Cove 2 and Iappreciate people who want to spear choosing less popular sites.
Yeah, there's an active pipeline right next door in Cove 1...Yuck! :vom: I don't know why even the anglers want to fish on the Alki peers.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I would at least want to make it look like I was avoiding the raw sewage. Then again there are alot of folks that are unaware that sewage still makes its way into the sound.

Maybe the magic bottom dwelling leprecons magically convert all waste into pristine sea water.... :laughing3:

I kill me...
Looking for dive buddies

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I know about the big fish rule.... And the meat is not good. I have head that when you get a ling ... youd better hold on!!! cause they put up a huge fight and will take you for a ride...As for hunting in the area I would most likely go off a boat, So We know there wont be a problem with divers in the area etc..etc.. Speaking of crab.. when does crab season open?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yes - when you spear a ling, the rodeo begins. You'd better be ready to jump on it or it WILL get off your shaft and go off and die somewhere. There are also effective ways of dispatching the fish quickly that can injure a diver who doesn't heed the warnings that certain objects on a ling are razor sharp.

It's really best to go with an experienced, RESPONSIBLE mentor who is concerned about sustainability.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

H20doctor wrote:Speaking of crab.. when does crab season open?
For the most part, July 2nd, depending on the area you are fishing. Most Puget Sound areas are only open from Wednesday through Saturday. WDFW has it on their site here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/crabre ... ndex.shtml
Just click on your zone for that area's regs.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you don't get a head shot, dispatch the fish by ripping out the gills so they quickly bleed to death. Not a job for dry gloves, they have lots of spines.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:If you don't get a head shot, dispatch the fish by ripping out the gills so they quickly bleed to death. Not a job for dry gloves, they have lots of spines.
That's the razor sharp part I was talking about.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

i spearfish for black rockfish, they'er easier to find and shoot, and i only need one band, I doubt my 32 ab billar is strong enough to penetrate a lings bony head for a kill shot. I also don't see the lings out much where i dive and the way i dive and oregon has a 32 inch minimum length, don't wanna shoot a small one. My buddy gets lings in the same area on regular basis though. :prayer: :prayer:
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I was told that if you don't get a head shot then you need to get in with your knife and either scramble their brains or cut the spine, true/ false?
Looking for dive buddies

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

TCWestby wrote:I was told that if you don't get a head shot then you need to get in with your knife and either scramble their brains or cut the spine, true/ false?
True, they will thrash forever. Cut the spine (they have a tough head) or rip out their gills so they bleed out (easier). If you totally botch it and belly shoot them, most fish will swim off your spear and die about ~45 mins later.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Good to know, now I just need a range to practice my aim. I don't think the kids will appreciate my shooting holes in the above ground pool...
Looking for dive buddies

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

TCWestby wrote:Good to know, now I just need a range to practice my aim. I don't think the kids will appreciate my shooting holes in the above ground pool...
The standard ling-shot is less than 12"... these aren't blue-water long shots.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:
TCWestby wrote:Good to know, now I just need a range to practice my aim. I don't think the kids will appreciate my shooting holes in the above ground pool...
Aim for somewhere between the eye and 3" behind the operculum (the plate covering the gills). If you can't hit them cleanly wait or reposition for a better shot.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
Sounder wrote:
Aim for somewhere between the eye and 3" behind the operculum (the plate covering the gills). If you can't hit them cleanly wait or reposition for a better shot.
Yup. It also helps to have proficient buoyancy and trim so you're not moving much as you adjust your position... movement spooks them.