Travel gear bag

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Travel gear bag

Post by scottsax »

I'm planning on doing a fair amount of traveling and diving, and so I want a travel bag for my gear. It seems to me it should have big wheels, a telescoping handle, a removeable regulator bag, and...what else? The 2 that look best to me so far are the XS Scuba and the Akona. Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Re: Travel gear bag

Post by Dmitchell »

The new Scubapro is Sweet but it cost more than an ticket to mexico.

I was looking at the Akona <10lb bag last night.

Since luggage is becoming such an issue now a days, I'm starting to think going back to the old style with backpack straps might be an option. It will save 3-4 lbs and I'm usually right at 49lbs per bag so that makes a difference.
Dave Mitchell
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We have bought wheeled duffle bags at Costco. They have a bunch of compartments, are very light when empty, collapse so that they don't use much space in a hotel room, and do not scream "expensive scuba equipment worth stealing inside". They're also cheap, and some seem to be pretty durable.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Scuba bags say "SCUBA GEAR!" on them, and they tend to be expensive. I'd go with a Costco or REI special. Also remember that ger weighs a TON... that weight limit comes quickly when packing gear. I check my clothes and stuff and carry on all my gear minus fins, wetsuit, and of course knife.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:I check my clothes and stuff and carry on all my gear minus fins, wetsuit, and of course knife.
So what sort of carry on do you use, then? BC, regs, light, and mask aren't small items...
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:
Sounder wrote:I check my clothes and stuff and carry on all my gear minus fins, wetsuit, and of course knife.
So what sort of carry on do you use, then? BC, regs, light, and mask aren't small items...
I was able to fit EVERYTHING I dive with except knife/fins/wetsuit in a standard-sized rolling "carry-on" sized suitcase. You just have to pack carefully and realize that you MUST carry that on because it'll be over-weight limits for checking. Yes, this included can-light and back up lights, long-hose regs, bp/w with harness, when I say everything I literally mean everything... and there wasn't a stich of extra room, but it fit quite nicely.

BTW - you need a SCAP. http://www.thescap.com :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I put all my heavies in our carry-on. Standard roller square thing. 4 backup lights, 4 regs, 2x canister light, O2 analyzer. I use a t-shirt for padding. Cheap without scuba labeling. The checked bag is a larger sister to the carry-on.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

True - I DID pack a change of clothes in my carry on - but that's about all the room I had to spare. I also carried on a back-pack with a book, phone charging cord, medicines, passport, DAN/C-cards, etc.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I use the Eagle Creek 22" switchback and it's bigger brother. Both are solidly built good quality travelling luggage and I can get all my gear in one or the other or both sans fins. I actually got the bigger bag so I could take my fins, and I can get everything in there plus clothes plus accessories. Problem is I have to check it which is hard on the nerves. The 22" I can carry on and it has an integrated backpack. My first trip I only had the 22" for my BP/W, regulators, mask, compass, computer, and all my clothes. The only thing missing was fins and a wetsuit. I was warned off of buying a bag that says "SCUBA GEAR INSIDE". However, if you do have a bag marked GEAR of some sort, you can get some allowances on weight. It's a catch 22. Contact your carrier for information on that.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote: However, if you do have a bag marked GEAR of some sort, you can get some allowances on weight. It's a catch 22. Contact your carrier for information on that.
Really? I'd like to learn more about this... do tell! I can put a "gear" sticker on anything!!
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Sounder wrote:... Scuba bags say "SCUBA GEAR!" on them, and they tend to be expensive. I'd go with a Costco or REI special. ...
LCF wrote:We have bought wheeled duffle bags at Costco. They have a bunch of compartments, are very light when empty, collapse so that they don't use much space in a hotel room, and do not scream "expensive scuba equipment worth stealing inside". They're also cheap, and some seem to be pretty durable.
FWIW, thats exactly the way I go - I travel a bit & am lucky enough to go to HI 3-4x/yr for business, usually able to get a couple of dives in on my off time.

I got a decent wheeled duffle bag that only cost me $34, and looks pretty generic (well, ugly, actually) - no screaming "steal me" scuba gear signs. think STEALTH Even if it only lasts a year, I'm $$ ahead compared to a name brand setup (besides, I've never found one that does what I want it to very well).

... and I hand-carry reg, computer, light, and other stuff on the plane that I really care about - if the bag doesn't make it to the destination, I can rent the basics but still rely on the life support equip I can trust.
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

diver-dad wrote: ... and I hand-carry reg, computer, light, and other stuff on the plane that I really care about - if the bag doesn't make it to the destination, I can rent the basics but still rely on the life support equip I can trust.
There's not much compensation for permanently lost bags either. Something like $200/bag. Certainly not enough to replace a good reg, canister light, or even a wing. So I try to put the cheaper, lighter, less steal-able stuff in the checked bag and keep the most expensive heavy stuff with me.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Good point!! ... and for one time I had a bag really lost, for the claim, the airline wanted receipts for everything I had in it ... (I'm talking just regular clothes!!!!)

So I said (politely and calmly) to the baggage counter attendant, that it is unreasonable to expect anyone to keep receipts for everything, and I asked her if she had receipts for all the clothes she's ever bought, and she looks me straight in the eye and says, "why, of course." :angryfire: ... Pure BS!!!

Then there is the HUGE run-around, menu-driven computer controlled call centers, and other ways they make it so darned hard to wade through the system that it is nearly impossible to get done - and you can just forget about talking to any human.

Never got a penny.

Sorry - got off-topic - I'm off my soap box now - rant is over.
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:
Pez7378 wrote: However, if you do have a bag marked GEAR of some sort, you can get some allowances on weight. It's a catch 22. Contact your carrier for information on that.
Really? I'd like to learn more about this... do tell! I can put a "gear" sticker on anything!!
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/co ... ports.aspx

Other airlines have similar guidelines.

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i have a freakin ginormous black diamond bag i used when i went to the keys. it fit 2 bcd, 2 sets of fins, 2 wetsuits, and still had room for a more. i did carrt on all my regs. the cool thing with the bag is that it has a back pack frame on it so you can wear it when shuffling around the air port. the bag materialwas also waterproof so on the boat it turned into our dry bag. if you want you are more then welcome to use it for a trip.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That too - I've got bags you're welcome to borrow too... and a little "dollie" to haul them around on if you wish. Worth every penny. I will tell you however that in Bonaire, the airport is WAAAAY small and that even if you had to carry your bags all the way to the parking lot, you're not going that far. In addition, there are great bag-carts all over the place - just grab one. It's worth not having to buy fancy new gear with wheels on it. Seriously, I've got 2 large duffels you're welcome to.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Check out American Airlines new baggage policy. Any way the airlines can nickel and dime people, they will. With this new policy, everyone is going to be carrying on luggage.

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPr ... ionContent
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Thanks for all your offers and advice! I'm going to try this weekend (I'm in CA visiting family, but maybe dad will want to go to Costco) to look for a wheeled carry-on bag for my life support gear, and I'll check a duffle with fins, wetsuit and clothes. I need a good piece of luggage anyway-had the same bags for 15 years....

If I'm suddenly feeling miserly, I may take one of you up on the loaner offer. I think Sheri, Spatman, and I (and anyone else that wants to join) are going to try to dive Sunday June 1st somewhere for Sheri's first dive back from the Keys, so aybe we could all meet up then. I'll let you know what I find and/or buy, and report back! :salute:

Thanks again NWDC!

Oh, by the way... What do I wear under a wetsuit?

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:Oh, by the way... What do I wear under a wetsuit?
:evil4:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:Oh, by the way... What do I wear under a wetsuit?
a bathing suit. not too baggy is better.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:a bathing suit. not too baggy is better.
Yeah, I tried on my 3mm Hyperstretch over my board shorts, and it looked like I was wearing the astronaut diaper. ("Ever need to drive across the country to stab a bitch, but don't want to stop for the bathroom?") :smt065

Hey-it's my thread, I'll hijack it if I want to!

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Speedo! :naka:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Always wanted a banana hammock...

This is exactly what my abs look like.

:la:
Last edited by scottsax on Fri May 23, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Check out American Airlines new baggage policy. Any way the airlines can nickel and dime people, they will. With this new policy, everyone is going to be carrying on luggage.

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPr ... ionContent
This is worth printing out Amy... From the American Airlines Website:
"Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after May 12, 2008 but before June 15, 2008 may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way. Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008 will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag. Our carry-on policy of one personal item (such as a purse or laptop bag) plus one bag remains in place."

This really sucks IMO, although I do understand the difficulties the airlines are facing. Just in case you didn't read it, if you purchase an American Airlines ticket after June 15th you are charged Fifteen bucks to check your first bag, and Twenty Five for the second. :angryfire: I did my ticketing before May 12th, so hopefully it won't apply, but you can't easily get to Bonaire for diving without checking at least one bag. We checked 4 the last time we went, including a cooler with frozen food for the barby while we were there.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

This only applies to DOMESTIC flights.