Permanent Dive Buddy

General banter about diving and why we love it.
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Re: Permanent Dive Buddy

Post by diver-dad »

Maverick wrote:I asked Cuppie to Marry Me over the weekend and she said YES. \:D/
That's absolutely fantastic! ...... Sincerely wishing you all the happiness that life can bring! =D>
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:Does it count that I lived in Israel, speak Hebrew, and got married under a huppah? :rr:
that would probably work for me, but Mav will have to make the call on that one!
Tom Nic wrote:Oh well, I at least want to fineagle an invite to the Red Sea reception and dive festivities! \:D/
me, too! can i hold one of the chuppah poles?
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

spatman wrote:can i hold one of the chuppah poles?
Whats a chuppah, and why would you want to hold his pole? :smt064
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Pez7378 wrote:
I love this site! It sends me running to wikipedia at least once a day. While I was looking up chuppah, I had to look up goy, too, so I'd be able to describe myself.

Congratulations and best wishes!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:
it's not often i offer to hold a pole.

a chuppah is an awning or canopy under which a jewish couple gets married. it's usually four wooden poles supporting a cloth square which is often embroidered or decorated in some way. these days, most chuppahs are free-standing, but it's traditional to have four people symbolically holding the tent-poles. jewish traditions are laden with symbolism, so if you really want to know why it's part of the ceremony and what it represents... well, don't ask me! ha! :dontknow:

chadad's description of a chuppah and some symbolism

EDIT: i just read the Chabad description a little more closely. it's pretty obtuse, and also from a very orthodox standpoint. here's a better description, borrowed from bnaimitzvahguide.com:

The wedding ceremony takes place under a wedding canopy, or chuppah, easily the most recognized feature of a Jewish wedding. The origin of the chuppah in the Talmud is not certain, even its exact form is not. In any case, the symbolism in the chuppah has many sides (no pun intended). Chuppah means literally "that which covers or floats" in Hebrew. Traditionally, weddings occurred outdoors, under the stars, and the canopy created an intimate, sanctified space in which to take the vows. It also represents the new home for the married couple. The chuppah is a reminder of the desert tents of our nomadic ancestors. For these reasons, some traditional reception facilities have skylights positioned over the place where the chuppah will stand.

A traditional chuppah is a fabric covering held up by four poles, open on all four sides. Since there are no legal requirements as to a chuppah's shape or dimensions, however, couples have created chuppahs and new chuppah traditions that expressed their unique personalities. Some customs have involved using a tallit, perhaps a family heirloom or your Bar Mitzvah tallit. Others have used craft-type projects such as quilts, embroidered or silk-screened fabric, or custom lettered projects. In fact, the chuppah can be a group or community project of special sentimental value.
Last edited by spatman on Thu May 29, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

spatman wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:
it's not often i offer to hold a pole.

a chuppah is an awning or canopy under which a jewish couple gets married. it's usually four wooden poles supporting a cloth square which is often embroidered or decorated in some way. these days, most chuppahs are free-standing, but it's traditional to have four people symbolically holding the tent-poles. jewish traditions are laden with symbolism, so if you really want to know why it's part of the ceremony and what it represents... well, don't ask me! ha! :dontknow:

chadad's description of a chuppah and some symbolism
Aha! So, if you're holding the Chupah pole, you have the best view of the ceremony! I'm in, I wanna hold a "corner" too! (wink wink) Thanks for the education Matt. I always learn cool, new and interesting stuff on this site!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:Aha! So, if you're holding the Chupah pole, you have the best view of the ceremony!
definitely the best view. you can see the beads of sweat on the grooms forehead...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez, you shouldn't be holding someone elses pole, Joe will get jealous . :smt064
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Nwbrewer wrote:Pez, you shouldn't be holding someone elses pole, Joe will get jealous . :smt064
Jake...........Were DIVE BUDDIES not LOVERS! :violent1:

and if you had paid any attention to the conversation, a Chupah Pole is for the Canopy, and it's the best seat in the house!

Now to get back on topic, BJ Nice Catch..........and the Sturgeon looks pretty good too! =D>
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Oh.... You can see how I may have made that mistake though. :evil4:

Sorry to detract from your thread mav, but I really couldn't resist. Congratulations again! :partyman:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Congratulations Mav and Cuppie! :occasion5:
That is so cool you caught her by surprise. Good job BJ! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

BASSMAN wrote:Congratulations Mav and Cuppie! :occasion5:
...and here I thought Bassman would ask if the wedding was going to be on a Tuesday. :smt064
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

Thank you all so much for the comments and best wishes!! It was a total surprise for me, I had no clue what was in store for the weekend. We will keep you all posted on any planning updates!!! We might have to add a few poles to the chuppah, so many volunteers!!! thanks again!! \:D/

~cups
"I peed my Weezle John!!!"
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Sounder wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:Congratulations Mav and Cuppie! :occasion5:
...and here I thought Bassman would ask if the wedding was going to be on a Tuesday. :smt064

Good one Sounder! =D> =D> =D>

Truth be told, My days off are changing next month and my new dive day might be Thursdays. :dontknow:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Haven't been around the dive site for awhile. I just wanted to add my congratulations. =D> :partyman:
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I know you both wil be happy for many years to come

congrats and give my love to the new MRS.Mav to be

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him