exercise after diving

General banter about diving and why we love it.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

exercise after diving

Post by pogiguy05 »

So I have been wondering about the effects of nitrogen increased during diving and exercising after diving? I am just wondering if there could be any harmful side effects if you do exercise after diving like increasing your risk for DCS.

I know some of you out there are also wondering what the heck would he want to hit the gym after a day of diving. #-o
Jeff Castor
Solitary
Just Settling In

Re: exercise after diving

Post by Solitary »

DAN says wait two hours just to be safe, despite no real data indicating that exercise after diving increases the risk of DCS.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medic ... ?faqid=166
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Jeff,
strenuous activity after diving does increase the risk of DCS.

This article has some good (basic) info about it:
http://awoosh.com/Doc%20Vikingo%27s%20R ... nd_DCS.htm

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Solitary wrote:DAN says wait two hours just to be safe, despite no real data indicating that exercise after diving increases the risk of DCS.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medic ... ?faqid=166
I think you misread this page:

You should always start off a dive well rested, with muscles that are cooled down and not calling for more oxygen and increased blood flow.

Exercise before diving may be your best bet. We all enter the water warm and take on nitrogen at a similar rate. Once in the water, we begin to cool, blood vessels constrict, and we take on less nitrogen. This means that after the dive, we are still cool and not offgassing as a mathematical model may predict. This would appear to favor a diving-after-exercise procedure. (For additional information, see “Thermal Facts: Dr. Bennett explores the relationships between cold, exercise and DCS risks” in the January/February 1997 issue of Alert Diver.)

In the 1990s, an altitude study by Mike Powell, Ph.D., showed that if you waited two hours to go to altitude after doing a series of deep knee bends, the number of Doppler bubbles produced at altitude decreased to a baseline level after a two-hour wait.

There is, in the final analysis, no definitive answer about diving after exercise. One might consider at least a two-hour wait as a guide for diving after exercise. A more conservative suggestion would be four hours to allow your body to cool down and rest before a nitrogen exposure.

We have documented cases of decompression illness in divers who exercise, work out or perform a strenuous task too soon after diving. Remember also to rehydrate after exercise. Although dehydration doesn’t cause decompression illness, increased fluid losses may contribute if a problem occurs, so be sure to get plenty of water on dive and exercise days.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Scubagirl45 wrote:Ben, you bring such a wealth of information to NWDC :book: ; thanks for your contributions!
Nah... I just know my way around the digital library. I don't hold a candle to the real brains of this outfit. But thanks. :hello2:
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

You know I think to be overly conservative I would just go with the same as the DSAT time for flying.Then you know for sure if you can fly you can exercise.
Jeff Castor
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

EXCERCISE?!?!?! :pale: Why would anyone want to do that? Sheesh! #-o Just getting up and going to the fridge for a beer is excercise enough for me after a dive. Of course a six pack doesn't have nearly the same health benefits as a case. :occasion5: afterall, it takes four times the effort. And whoever, said Nitrox (Yawn...) would prevent after dive fatigue is mistaken.......... (Yawn...)
Solitary
Just Settling In

Post by Solitary »

dsteding wrote: I think you misread this page:
It wouldn't be the first time. I'm usually happy if I can sound out all the big words.