Skills needed for technical diving

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Skills needed for technical diving

Post by dsteding »

Totally serious.

Not the time for the top ten hijack of the year-I was actually enjoying and appreciating John's comments-his point about spotting the clueless divers from afar was an interesting one, hadn't thought of it that way (because I was thinking along the lines of what makes the overall dive community safer, too much skills or too little).
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:Totally serious.

Not the time for the top ten hijack of the year-I was actually enjoying and appreciating John's comments-his point about spotting the clueless divers from afar was an interesting one, hadn't thought of it that way (because I was thinking along the lines of what makes the overall dive community safer, too much skills or too little).

Sorry- the hijacks seem to take on a life of their own around here. I enjoyed John's comments too- they were insightfull.
But what the heck do you mean by "Makes the overall dive community safer, too much skills or too little?"
Obviously, too much is better than too little. But why isn't "just enough" or, "it depends" an option? "Too much" and "Too little" both start with "Too." Some pretty good divers have their confidence blown out by some small skill they "struggle with", and get hung up on it like it's life and death.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

dsteding wrote: What is your perspective on the base level of skills needed for the following:

1) to begin technical training

and

2) to be a competent technical diver.
To me,
1) being able to walk around (and dive) with a ton more crap attached to you, and accepting the higher risk of technical diving. Having the right buddy (or buddies) to learn and dive with is also crucial.

2) remembering that there's more than one way to skin a cat and continuing to improve your gear config and techniques in ways that best suit you.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Nailer99 wrote:
dsteding wrote: But what the heck do you mean by "Makes the overall dive community safer, too much skills or too little?"
Obviously, too much is better than too little. But why isn't "just enough" or, "it depends" an option? "Too much" and "Too little" both start with "Too." Some pretty good divers have their confidence blown out by some small skill they "struggle with", and get hung up on it like it's life and death.
Sorry, probably wasn't clear.

There are two perspectives, I think:

1) Keeping yourself as an individual safe. That involves spotting the divers on boats that you wouldn't feel comfortable diving with and staying out of the water. I believe John's point is that those are easier to spot when they have been trained with an inadequate skill standard.

2) Hand-wringing about the overall safety of the dive community: I care not only about my personal safety, but I really hate to see or hear about crazy, patently unsafe actions by other divers. Usually at the root of that is a lack of training, not a reckless attitude. This is the point I was trying to make in the other "where to go from here" thread, and also a sub-context to why I started this thread.

Agreed that some good divers get hung up on the small stuff. That is also why I started this thread, it is about skills needed to start technical diving, not skills needed to be a perfect technical diver. I do believe there is a base level of skills, including in-water skills, mindset, and attitude, and I thought it would be a good and timely topic to discuss.

No worries on the hijack, I want me one of those cards. Is there a DIR version? Lemon wedges aren't DIR because the acidity they contribute to your cocktail can lead to issues with offgassing. Everyone knows if you have a lemon wedge in your cocktail you could die.

Duh.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Nailer99 wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:Geez, I thought this tech diving stuff was supposed to be serious? :dontknow:
Yep. Deadly serious. No fun involved, just steely-eyed men and women with grim faces doing battle with the ocean.
... with balls of steel ... don't forget that part ...

... never could figure out what they use 'em for ... buoyancy control, perhaps? :dontknow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:Geez, I thought this tech diving stuff was supposed to be serious? :dontknow:
Yep. Deadly serious. No fun involved, just steely-eyed men and women with grim faces doing battle with the ocean.
... with balls of steel ... don't forget that part ...

... never could figure out what they use 'em for ... buoyancy control, perhaps? :dontknow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They help with trim.....
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

NWBrewer wrote:They help with trim.....
:laughing3: :laughing3: I hope I'm not the only one who got that! =D>
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Finally, someone came up with a reason that my trim is so bad!!!! It all makes sense now...

:bounce:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:
NWBrewer wrote:They help with trim.....
:laughing3: :laughing3: I hope I'm not the only one who got that! =D>
I just caught it... #-o =D>
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm kind of noticing something, here. We have more than a few tech divers on this board with tons of deep dives under their belts. But none of them has posted anything in this thread. (With the possible exception of John Benway, but nobody seems to actually know him.) (Part of me can't help picturing a 14 year old kid in Mexican Hat, Utah laughing his ass off at me right now).

I wonder why that is?

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nailer99 wrote:I wonder why that is?

Never mind. I just hit "post reply" and suddenly, I was staring at my "Super Trimix Lemon Wedge Instructor" card. That probably explains it. I'd be intimidated, too.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nailer99 wrote:I'm kind of noticing something, here. We have more than a few tech divers on this board with tons of deep dives under their belts. But none of them has posted anything in this thread.

I wonder why that is?
I certainly don't know the answer to that, but an observation I've made is that sometimes the more experienced tech divers / instructors don't give their 2 cents worth because they don't feel that this is the forum to do it in. ...a little knowledge being a dangerous thing and all. Or maybe think that a class is the only place to talk about this stuff. Or perhaps they're tired of all the endless conversation. Or perhaps anti-social because of too much nitrogen loading addling the brain. Or... :dontknow:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

Because we are out doing a tech dive. No time to talk. :bootyshake: :bootyshake:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I think it might be a case of "why bother" syndrome ... #-o

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:I think it might be a case of "why bother" syndrome ... #-o

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
touche. :smt065 I'm shutting up now.

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Romer Treece wrote:Because we are out doing a tech dive. No time to talk. :bootyshake: :bootyshake:
If only you were at the shop filling my cylinders :bootyshake: .............I could go out and practice some skills :smt064
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Grateful Diver wrote:I think it might be a case of "why bother" syndrome ... #-o

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm sure that is it.

Not that it is a bad thing, I appreciate the levity around here, but I do think some of the more experienced tech diver types have written this board off because of the inability to keep on topic . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Romer Treece wrote:Because we are out doing a tech dive. No time to talk. :bootyshake: :bootyshake:
Ahh, but, you responded within 20 minutes of Nailer posting his question, so clearly you were paying attention . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm not chopped liver, but I have over 50 cave dives now . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

1. Get these in check and you will find your path easier:

Awareness
In water Comfort
Buoyancy
Equipment Familiarization

You must be a “Thinking" diver before you choose this path

You should always know “why”:

Why you use the equipment you choose
Why you choose the gases you use
Why you implement the protocols you use
Etc.

Everything you do underwater has a reason for it.

Get very comfortable at each level “you” set for yourself BEFORE moving on

Depth level (30 ft, 60 ft, 100 ft, 130 ft, 150, ft, 180, ft, 200 ft, etc.)
Equipment level (reel, 1 bottle, 2, bottles, multiple bottles, scooters, etc.)
Environmental level (cold water, high current, low viz, silty bottom, etc.)

2. Competency increases with experience

Dive within the level you set. When you are ready to move to the next level you will know.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Good Stuff Scott.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

It is summer so a lot of us are out of the area diving in warmer places. did the best shore dive yet here in California yesterday off point Lobos Monterey :supz: . I will say one of the best dives i have had in a long time. I hope things have been good up their for you all.

Greg
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Lobos is awesome! One of my all-time favorite places to shore dive.

Next time I go, however, I wanna do it on a scooter ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

That is how i have been doing all my shore dives down here. Been scaring the hell out of life guards all the way up the coast with the long body form San Diego :axe: . Doing 2-3 hr scooter dives solo they do not like. Had a few of them thinking they lost a diver :dontknow: . I usually told them i was headed out for a few hours but they apparently do not know RB's.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

loanwolf wrote:That is how i have been doing all my shore dives down here. Been scaring the hell out of life guards all the way up the coast with the long body form San Diego :axe: . Doing 2-3 hr scooter dives solo they do not like. Had a few of them thinking they lost a diver :dontknow: . I usually told them i was headed out for a few hours but they apparently do not know RB's.
Did I hear something about you seeing a shark down there, Greg?