Technical diving info

General banter about diving and why we love it.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Technical diving info

Post by scottsax »

In this thread y'all started talking about deco obligations and stage bottles and calculating the requirements for your dives.

As a recreational diver, a lot of that is over my head, but it is very interesting to me. Are there books or manuals or software programs that I can look at to give me a better understanding of deco theory? I'm not where I want to be, skills-wise, to pursue that kind of diving, but it seems to me that understanding deco better can only help me with the diving I'm doing now, right?

Any suggestions, as always, are greatly appreciated. :notworthy:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Re: Technical diving info

Post by Dmitchell »

The technical diving encyclopedia - Tom Mount
The GUE books are good reads (I didn't say that #-o )
Google "DIR III" and see ig you can find the video, if not, the audio is worth listening to. GI III may be a PITA but there's good info in that or you can buy the newer 6hr set if you want to watch it.

You could always buy the various different agencies student books for Tech classes.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

several good (free) articles here:
http://www.dive-tech.co.uk/links.htm#deco
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

scottsax wrote:Are there books or manuals or software programs that I can look at to give me a better understanding of deco theory? I'm not where I want to be, skills-wise, to pursue that kind of diving, but it seems to me that understanding deco better can only help me with the diving I'm doing now, right?
Anybody doing serious amounts of diving -technical or otherwise - should read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Bennett-Elliotts- ... 0702025712 It's "Bennett and Elliott", for short, or, in other words, the basic textbook if you're headed down the path to a specialty certification as a hyperbaric physician.

Deep reading, lots of math, a little history, and definitely geared more toward the commercial diving spectrum, but absolutely incredible as to the detail and depth of what's contained. It's not a light read, and you will definitely have to work out things with pencil and paper over many long hours. It is dense - having at least some college level biology, biochem, physiology, and anatomy classes would be highly advantageous in getting through it, too.

Frankly, after reading that, I've been so abysmally (pun intended) disappointed with most of the "tec" agency books on 'mix, deco theory, etc. They're so watered down in comparison that it's a shame. Sure, they'll keep you alive and "safe," but you don't really come away from them with any real idea of what's happening in your body, like you will from the textbook.

The other outstanding one is Bove and Davis, "Diving Medicine" (http://www.amazon.com/Diving-Medicine-A ... 0721694241). Same league as Bennett and Elliott, and a good bit of duplication, although Bove is more about treatment and the clinical side of hyperbaric medicine than the theory that's in Bennett.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There is some really good reading on the web. Google "Erik Baker" and you'll come up with his paper on M-values (in several places) and his article on deep stops. On TDS, there is a superb article by Steve Lewis of TDI on "The Shape of the Curve", which talks about the commonalities in decompression strategies. Ross Hemingway has some good stuff on the VPM site, as well. Lippman and Mitchell's Deeper into Diving is a very good book.

GUE has an excellent DVD out, entitled, "The Mysterious Malady", which consists of a lot of interview time with Erik Baker, David Doolette from Duke, several folks from DAN, and others, discussing a lot of things about decompression and mixed gas diving. It was well worth the price, although the bottom line is that what we don't know in many cases exceeds what we do.

You can spend a lot of time learning about this stuff! I'd also HIGHLY recommend attending Andrew Georgitsis's Ratio Deco seminar, if he has another one up here. Although some of the seminar is on planning deco dives, a lot of it is on comparisons between various approaches to modeling gas loading and unloading, and how the resulting profiles differ. I thought it was well worth the cost and the day of my time.

BTW, I'm with you . . . I don't do, and don't have any plans to do any staged decompression diving. I just find the topic fascinating, and I think it makes my behavior as a recreational diver a bit more rational.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

A lot of Eric Baker's work can be found on the Shearwater computers website, along with a lot of other cool stuff:

http://www.rebreather.ca/Library.htm

Feel free to ask or PM more specific questions- If I don't know the answer, someone here does, or I know where to ask for it!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."