My Words

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

My Words

Post by Maverick »

Before I can't post anymore I just wanted to say Sorry to anyone who I offended and I Will still be around diving and Hope to still have a few friends around on the Board. I am sincere in my apologies and have learned that the power of the net is a power and I've lost it. ](*,)

Everyone have safe dives, and enjoy our hobby the way YOU feel is right for you!

I'm OUT
BJ
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: My Words

Post by dwashbur »

Mav,
I certainly wasn't offended. In fact, I probably should let you know I borrowed some of your words. Since I'm currently in California, I hang out on a board related to this area, and there was a dispute about a local shop that several people, myself included, can tell horror stories about. Well, one of the instructors who works through that shop had a cow, and was basically echoing what you said about people who will defend the shop. I blanked out the shop name in your last paragraph and posted it over there as something that was said on another board, and concluded with "that pretty well says it." I found your comments about "this is what happened to me and until you can convince me it didn't, save it" to be right on the money, and said so. You said it much more eloquently than I could have. I would have to say if someone was offended by your story, that's their problem, not yours.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Just for clairification, that was Joe ("Fishstiq") you're quoting:
Fishstiq wrote: I expect someone will stand up for the shop. Guess what? I don't care. I know what happened concerning my experience, and unless you can convince me that what happned didn't happen, save it. Thanx.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Yeah that was Joe, I'm sure you wouldn't have quoted me, or maybe you would have but sounder is right. that was joe. it just so happened that i to bought new gear that was used and didn't know it till i got home.
Mav
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

#-o
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

My bad ](*,)
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Maverick wrote:Before I can't post anymore I just wanted to say Sorry to anyone who I offended and I Will still be around diving and Hope to still have a few friends around on the Board. I am sincere in my apologies and have learned that the power of the net is a power and I've lost it. ](*,)

Everyone have safe dives, and enjoy our hobby the way YOU feel is right for you!

I'm OUT
BJ
BJ ... I'm glad to see you didn't get kicked off the board. It wouldn't be the same here without Maverick kickin' up a bit of sand from time to time.

I didn't see the post that got you in hot water, but I can speak from experience that it's too easy to say something we don't think will be all that offensive ... something we feel completely justified expressing ... only to discover that we were wrong. Sometimes words read a lot different to others than they read to us, and the Internet lacks the nuances of facial expression and body language ... and so people tend to view them in the worst possible way. And the cost is almost always greater than the benefit.

Words have power ... and consequences. I'm speaking from experience here ... as one of those people who sticks my foot in my mouth at regular intervals.

Dude ... this is about diving ... a recreational activity. Consider that the person you feel justified blasting on the Internet today might be someone who you will really want to go diving with a year from now. Talk to me someday about missed opportunities ... I'm an expert on that subject.

Let's try to keep this place as friendly as we want the beach to be when we show up for a dive ... it's a small community, and most of the things we find to get pissed off about will be stuff that won't make a bit of difference in our lives a day or two later. That's small stuff ... no need at all to turn it into big stuff.

If we learn from our mistakes ... then there will be no need to apologize for them after the fact. I've heard that message from a few folks who are important to me.

And if you really feel you gotta say something less than friendly to someone, say it in a PM or e-mail. Or better yet, say it in person over a beer. Words tend to mellow with the proper application of Mac and Jacks, ya know ... :occasion5:

Let's keep it friendly ... that's why we're here ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:Words tend to mellow with the proper application of Mac and Jacks, ya know ... :occasion5:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Obviously, you've never had beers with BJ, Bob.

I'm at a loss, here- I switched BJ over to "read only" last night, but it didn't work. I have no clue as to why. Calvin, the uber-admin,is in Hawaii without a computer, on vacation right now.

I have, quite correctly, been accused of covering up for my good friend BJ in the past. It has been pointed out to me, again, quite correctly, that BJ has gotten away with stuff that would get anyone else on this board banned.

I'm not sure what to do next- I have a message out to Calvin asking for help to change BJs permissions- I just want everyone to know that I'm not "doing nothing" about this.

And Bob- excellent post. Really enjoyed our dive the other night- let's make a point of doing it again soon.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Maverick wrote:Before I can't post anymore I just wanted to say Sorry to anyone who I offended and I Will still be around diving and Hope to still have a few friends around on the Board. I am sincere in my apologies and have learned that the power of the net is a power and I've lost it. ](*,)

I'm OUT
BJ
BJ ... I'm glad to see you didn't get kicked off the board. It wouldn't be the same here without Maverick kickin' up a bit of sand from time to time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thanks Bob, I hope to I can keep posting. I did learn my boundaries from right to wrong on this last post. I have not been treated any different from others on the board, I don't think. I always get talked to by the Mods and such. I sure hope that the master Admin allows me to continue using this site for more than just reading. Likeyou said Bob it just isn't the same with out Mav, only I won't be stirring things up anymore. Not only because it is not nice but because I really don't want to lose my posting ability. I should have by now, but there is a glitch in the board and although I have been banned I can still post. (thank God for that one) It's like I am meant to beable to post. I sure hope that I can stay around. :dontknow:

Only time will tell. See you Saturday Bob. I am looking forward to a tour of redondo, as i have only dove it twice, once on my own and saw nothing, and once with Rawlings and saw everthing but think i wouldn't find anything alone, i need a tour guide.
BJ
Maverick

STAIRS.