If you could buy one of three things..?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
oregondiver
Submariner

If you could buy one of three things..?

Post by oregondiver »

First of all, thanks to the many folks on this board for their help in talking me through some of my weighting issues, and also the folks at the club dive that helped me try out new gear and move weights around.

I dove a BP system yesterday. I dove with people who had HID. And I figured if I had a steel tank, I would be able to drop some weights from my gear.

I already have a good bc that fits well, comfortable, holds my weights. I only have a normal flashlight (ie sucks compared to the guys with the HID's). And I have two alum 80's. I sip my air and I get cold before I ever run out of air.

So, if you had $300-$500 to spend...what one item would you get?
A SS backplate system with wings and be able to drop some weight and carry the remaining weight you in better location so you are trimmed out better?
A HID light that lets you see all the fun stuff even in pea soup like at Redondo yesterday?
A steel tank (will need adapter too?) that will reduce some the weight I carry...?

What are your thoughts?
Shell
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: If you could buy one of three things..?

Post by cardiver »

You wouldn't need an adapter, as the steel cylinders come with a k valve insert. When you change your first stage over to din you just use a hex wrench to remove the insert.
As to your other question......I'd buy a can light!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Shell,

You could probably find a used 10 W Can light for around $450-500.

You could easily get a New BP/W for under $500. https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=home

You can rent or borrow Steel cylinders until you find the ones you want. Most of us love our HP119's

If I was doing it all over again, I'd do what I did and get the BP/W first and build off of that.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

You can get a brand new DR for 499 or the Niterider 13 watt that I just bought for 499 also.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, the issue with canister lights is that most of them are difficult to attach to a traditional BC. Some people mount them next to the tank, but then the canister is behind you and you can't reach the on-off switch. The Nite Rider 10W has a plastic clip on the battery which can be attached to a BC that has some portion of webbing on the waist belt, but it's not a light I'd highly recommend, because it's not very well focused for murky water. (Ideal tropical night light, though.)

A BP/W will move weight off your belt and onto your back, and decrease the lead you have to wear by 5 lbs from the plate, and 2 to 3 pounds from the positive buoyancy of the BC. You can move the weight onto your back with many traditional BCs by the use of trim pockets and camband weights, though. You won't get the modularity of the BP/W that way, though.

Changing to a steel tank will also take weight off your belt, and put it on your back -- 5 to 10 lbs, depending on the steel tanks you buy.

For me, total weight I schlep into the water is a big deal, so the steel tank change would be a very attractive one. But I also have to say that I think good HID lights are a BIG safety factor in Puget Sound diving, so maybe the answer is to find a used BP/W setup and a used HID!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

My can light is hands down my favorite piece of gear, and the posts above mention some affordable options. Lynne is correct that there are few options for mounting them on a traditional BC, but you can find ways, and your buddy can turn them on or off for you if you can't reach it.

Tanks I would buy last, personally....if you're driving up from Oregon to dive, your probably doing multiple dives in a day, and having two or three tanks that are the same makes life easier (you don't have to adjust weights and trim as you switch) . Two or three steel tanks would blow your budget unless you got a screaming deal on some used ones, which you can find occassionally on craigslist.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Personally, I'd go with option D. Buy a P-valve!!! You can pee while diving!!! It's sweet!!!

Seriously though, I'd echo what others have said. BP/W first, then build on that. When buying tanks, it's much easier to get all the same size to start off with. As far as the light, it's not just being able to see in the pea soup, it's also having a controlled light that still allows you to use both hands. Goodman handles are a HUGE help when you are trying to minimise task loading.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

another vote for the bp/w first, can light second, tanks last.

get used to the bp/w and your new weighting before you add the can light variable. and like PPants said, the tanks will blow your budget and are easily rentable/borrowable until you get your own...
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Same here.

BP/W first because it's the foundation. Don't forget proper length hoses for your regs as part of this.
Light next.
Tanks last (because you can rent until then).

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I don't get it. :dontknow: Everyone says bp but the op stated that her bc fits perfectly well. If your bc fits well and is fairly new, I would still go for the light.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

cardiver wrote:I don't get it. :dontknow: Everyone says bp but the op stated that her bc fits perfectly well. If your bc fits well and is fairly new, I would still go for the light.
I'm with you on that one, Ron. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I too went from a well fitting BC to a bp/w first, and it was nice, but I found myself asking why I really needed to make that switch.

When I went from my light cannon the can light I was ecstatic, and I've never questioned that decision once.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:
cardiver wrote:I don't get it. :dontknow: Everyone says bp but the op stated that her bc fits perfectly well. If your bc fits well and is fairly new, I would still go for the light.
I'm with you on that one, Ron. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I too went from a well fitting BC to a bp/w first, and it was nice, but I found myself asking why I really needed to make that switch.
it doesn't have to be broken to want to replace it. sometimes people want to upgrade.

my BC fit me well, and for the most part i liked it. it served me fine in warmer waters, and, even if a bit bulky, it did an ok job here as well. but after i tried bob's bp/w, i realized that my jacket-style bc was limiting me and making some things more difficult. my choice was to move to a back-inflate system, and since i had liked the fit and the way the bp/w trimmed, that's what i chose. i was also attracted to a gear config that many other people i dived with used and appreciated.

these are all my personal choices. some people may be very happy with whatever style of BC they have, or even if they're not, there are others to chose from besides a bp/w.

shell tried one out on saturday, seemed to like it, and is now asking about getting one. seems to be her choice to move from a BC (even if it fits well) to a bp/w at some point. to each their own.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

The key phrase being, "at some point" I think she asked what she should get first. If her bc fits her well and she is comfortable wearing it, then a light would seem to make more sense.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

cardiver wrote:The key phrase being, "at some point" I think she asked what she should get first. If her bc fits her well and she is comfortable wearing it, then a light would seem to make more sense.

to me this was the key phrase:
oregondiver wrote:So, if you had $300-$500 to spend...what one item would you get?
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Her question was about how to "drop" some weight. A can light will only add weight. A can light will not serve to resolve the weighting and trim issues that Shell is trying to overcome. A Backplate and wing will help her to shed some weight off of her hips, center the weight over her lungs, and serve as a foundation for establishing the balance and trim that she is seeking.

Although I'm not the best person to discuss all the nuances of Balance, trim and proper weighting, I'm certain that I could not offer any suggestions for dropping weight with her current configuration. Moving it around to establish proper trim will help, but I think it would only be a couple of pounds.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I think that the best way to drop weight is to dive more. We all started out wearing waaaay too much weight but as we got more comfortable in the water the weight started dropping off.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

cardiver wrote:I think that the best way to drop weight is to dive more. We all started out wearing waaaay too much weight but as we got more comfortable in the water the weight started dropping off.
Good point. And I think you just saved Shell several hundred dollars! =D>

Shell, get an air card....... :bootyshake:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Pez7378 wrote:
Her question was about how to "drop" some weight. A can light will only add weight. A can light will not serve to resolve the weighting and trim issues that Shell is trying to overcome. A Backplate and wing will help her to shed some weight off of her hips, center the weight over her lungs, and serve as a foundation for establishing the balance and trim that she is seeking.
Subtracting weight is a holistic concept, since all the weight you need stays the same. Where you put it is the question. A can light adds weight, but that means she can subtract weight from her belt. A steel tank and a steel backplate also add weight, which means she can subtract weight from her belt, too. The total remains the same. She would be able to subtract a couple of pounds for padding if she got rid of the BC.
spatman wrote: to me this was the key phrase:
oregondiver wrote:So, if you had $300-$500 to spend...what one item would you get?

Yes, and what we're all saying is what we would do and what makes sense to us. :)

If I had limited cash, and I wanted three pieces of gear, and I already had a version of one of those pieces of gear that I was comfortable with, I would go for what I didn’t have before I upgraded what I already have. That’s logical to me. YMMV.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Penopolypants wrote:
Yes, and what we're all saying is what we would do and what makes sense to us. :)

If I had limited cash, and I wanted three pieces of gear, and I already had a version of one of those pieces of gear that I was comfortable with, I would go for what I didn’t have before I upgraded what I already have. That’s logical to me. YMMV.
Well put and exactly what my feelings would be. It sounds like to me the light would be first on my list. It won't reduce weight but it will increase the fun and safety of diving. Isn't that what it's really all about?
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Here's why I say ditch the BC now: It's still relatively new and can be sold for a fair price. Proceeds can be applied to the desired upgrades. Since she indicates a desire for a BP/W, having tried one recently why continue to depreciate the value of the BC and postpone the purchase of the desired alternative? I'm not captain backplate or anything - I'd argue the same point with any gear upgrade. For example if you've got a good drysuit but for some reason it's not ideal for you I say sell it while it still has good resale value and get what you need. Don't continue to dive something you're not entirely happy with until it's worn out and has no value. That doesn't make sense to me. :dontknow:

On the other hand if Shell is happy with her BC do what Penelope/Ron/Dusty say.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

I should mention, all my dive gear is 9-11 years old. I take care of my gear pretty well. If any of you saw it this past weekend, you can see that it has held up extremely well for the 200+ dives that are on it. So my BC might not have any resale value at this time.

I don't normally have gear envy. ANd I am a true gear whore (with a husband that allows me to buy whatever I want, and actively encourages me to do so. Maybe it is because I let him buy yet another kayak last week?!?! ](*,) ).

And after diving with Benoit and Chris (and Peter). I got to see the BP systems on Chris (and others gear) and I got to see Benoits light. Holey moley..and all that is sacred. I ended up huge gear envy.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-56/0263 ... Torch.html

Here is what Benoit wrote me about it:
The light is a BrightStar Darkbuster 24W hid. I bought it just two months ago for 389$ from Scuba.com - and that's for the 24W SPOT reflector. They now want 560$ for it!!! It's a good light, but it doesn't seem as much of a great value at that price point. I had to deal with the US importer to correct an issue with my light and I've been trying to get him to sell the light to local shops around here. I'll let you know if it works (it could mean I can get the light for cheaper).

So it wouldn't be a can light, but one that fits in your had. And those of you who saw it in action Saturday...don't you agree it was darn sweet/light/bright/blow your doors off? \:D/
Seems like comments are almost spread between BP & Light.

Where can I go to find used BP systems besides craigslist (incidentally, that is where I do most of my shopping, including finding my husband there. DOH!).
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I always steer people toward Salvo canister lights. Several people here have a variety of other brands, but I just can't say enough amazing things about Salvo.

You think you have light envy now, you need to come diving with me... bring your sunglasses. :smt119

If your husband lets you buy whatever you want, why not buy it all at once? :dontknow:

Here's my advice (my personal opinion, what I would do)...

I had the good fortune of having great mentors who we willing to tell me what they used and why, and I was fortunate enough to buy the gear I wanted the first time instead of buying what my shop sold and then finding I wanted to replace it. I trusted the recommendations I received and I am VERY glad that I did. I was fortunate enough to "know what I didn't know" in this regard.

Buy a light first, but wait until you can get/find a new/used Salvo can-light... it's really REALLY worth waiting for. Same with the bp/w - save for the Deep Sea Supply rig because it's worth waiting for. Yes, in my opinion DSS and Salvo are WORTH WAITING FOR if you can't buy them now.

Then go buy your tanks. For you, I'd recommend HP100s or HP119s.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I would wait for a canister light. They are wonderful because they don't get in your way. You can use both hands because of the Goodman handle, and the canister is tucked back out of the way. You don't even notice you're packing around the hardware. With a pistol-grip or lantern-handle light it's heavy and always either occupying one hand or swinging like a brick from a lanyard. :vom: I did that for many years and much prefer the canister. As a result I now have a strong primary light on every dive, whereas when I used a pistol-grip light I'd leave it behind whenever I could because It was a PITA.

-Ben
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Sounder wrote:I always steer people toward Salvo canister lights. Several people here have a variety of other brands, but I just can't say enough amazing things about Salvo.
True. I bought mine used and it's several years old. When I had a problem with it a couple of weeks ago, I shipped it priority mail on Monday, and by Wednesday it was fixed and on its way back to me, no charge for anything.

They have excellent customer service!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

GET A BP AND WING

it the foundation to mounting you can light, and nice steel tanks. buy the tanks last because you can rent tanks and if we dive together again i will loan you one of my 20 tanks, i am kind of a tank pimp. \:D/

a good BP and wing is the way to go. I like my GOLEM GEAR, although sounder will steer you toward Deep sea supply. it is also good but not even close to as bullet proof as golem gear. check it out at golemgear.com and they have full set ups. Harness, d-rings, BP, wing for a very fair price
:evil4:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.