Edmonds Oil Dock to be removed soon.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Edmonds Oil Dock to be removed soon.

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sea of Green wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Somehow I managed to miss this thread (most of it happened while I was in Port Hardy), and just stumbled on it.

Hate to say it folks, but a lot of it sounds like something out of an AM radio talk show.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah, like Air America and NPR...
I don't need to go any further than that ... you just made my point.

None of the rest of your post addresses the topic of this thread, which is the oil dock.

If you want to discuss that topic, fine ... I'll be happy to listen, and share my viewpoints. Just be prepared to deal with differences in a respectful manner.

But let's please leave the political crap off this board ... there's too many other places on the Internet where you can talk about that stuff ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

So, what are you saying? Is Creosote a new miracle tonic that we should rub on babies to make them healthier and stronger?
From the Department of Health and Human Services agency for toxic substances and disease registry:LINK
Breathing vapors of the creosotes, coal tar, coal tar pitch, or coal tar pitch volatiles can cause irritation of the respiratory tract. Eating large amounts of creosote (any form) may cause a burning in the mouth and throat and stomach pains. Eating large amounts of herbal remedies containing creosote bush leaves may cause liver damage, while large amounts of coal tar creosote may result in severe skin irritation, eye burns, convulsions, unconsciousness, and even death.

Long-term (365 days or longer) exposure to lower levels of coal tar creosote, coal tar, coal tar pitch, or coal tar pitch volatiles by skin or air contact can cause skin damage such as blistering or peeling.

Animals fed large amounts of wood creosote had convulsions and died, while those fed lower levels had liver and kidney problems. Animal studies have shown that when pregnant animals breathe creosote, it may cause harmful effects to the baby.

Sea of Green wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:I got no letters after my name. But I have gotten liquid creosote in an open cut on my arm. It burned like acid, and some of the tissue around the cut died, even though I rinsed it with fresh water immediately. Another time, I got a huge chunk of a creosote railroad tie stuck in my leg- like a splinter, only it was the size of a pencil. Had to pull it out with pliers. The wound was incredibly painfull, turned bright red, got infected almost immediately......

I think anyone who questions the toxicity of creosote ought to duplicate these two "experiments."

Going back a few pages, I agree with those who think it's OK to remove the oil dock, but would like to see it replaced with some kind of structure.......
I'm sure it didn't feel good, but it's not a good example. Put seawater on an open wound and see what happens. I had a small cut one time from an oyster shell trying to shuck oysters in my bare hands. I ignored it, it didn't heal and festered up, turned green until good ol' Mom told me to take a sterlized needle, break it open and clean out the gunk (I couldn't believe how bad it stunk!) and use a strong disinfectant on it (Bag Balm). It healed right up after that. All because a little bit of seawater got in a relatively minor scrape. Lesson learned: Wear gloves when shucking oysters, and never ignore even minor wounds that come in contact with seawater.

But yeah, I don't see any reason why we couldn't use the area for a EUP south, unless they decide to ban diving altogether from Marina Beach. But the city of Seattle tried to do that at Cove 2, remember? Divers got together and pointed out to the powers that be that they cannot ban one type of recreational activity while allowing others. Maybe they would rather plant eel-grass there for salmon habit (can eel grass be planted?). I'll support that too, even volunteer to help, since the salmon population has solid scientific evidence of being in danger, and the causes.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sea of Green wrote: I'm sure it didn't feel good, but it's not a good example. Put seawater on an open wound and see what happens. I had a small cut one time from an oyster shell trying to shuck oysters in my bare hands. I ignored it, it didn't heal and festered up, turned green until good ol' Mom told me to take a sterlized needle, break it open and clean out the gunk (I couldn't believe how bad it stunk!) and use a strong disinfectant on it (Bag Balm). It healed right up after that. All because a little bit of seawater got in a relatively minor scrape. Lesson learned: Wear gloves when shucking oysters, and never ignore even minor wounds that come in contact with seawater.
Hmmm ... during my sailing years I got plenty of cuts and scrapes soaked in seawater ... some of them for days at a time before I had a chance to get off the boat and apply anything more than a bandage. None of them ever got infected as you describe. Perhaps whatever bacteria caused your infection came from the oyster shell, and not from the water.
Sea of Green wrote: But yeah, I don't see any reason why we couldn't use the area for a EUP south, unless they decide to ban diving altogether from Marina Beach. But the city of Seattle tried to do that at Cove 2, remember? Divers got together and pointed out to the powers that be that they cannot ban one type of recreational activity while allowing others.
Sure they can ... if it can be justified as a safety issue. Divers didn't "point out" any such thing at Cove 2 ... a group of divers representing dive clubs (primarily Marker Buoys and Seahorses) proposed a compromise solution that, fortunately, addressed the safety concerns of the folks at the Seattle Parks and Recreation Dept, and so they agreed to give it a try. But it didn't happen without a lot of cooperative effort between the dive community and the SPR. Had it been undertaken in a confrontational manner, I doubt it would've gotten anywhere.

And I don't think they're planning to ban diving from the Marina Beach area ... but once the oil dock is removed, there may not be a lot left over there to attract divers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

"sea water" is not a standardized solution composed of known compounds. The effects of sea water on wounds can vary drastically, based on its composition, the temperature, nature of the wound, physiology of the person in question, etc. It's a myth that sea water invariably helps wounds.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

tangfish wrote:"sea water" is not a standardized solution composed of known compounds. The effects of sea water on wounds can vary drastically, based on its composition, the temperature, nature of the wound, physiology of the person in question, etc. It's a myth that sea water invariably helps wounds.
Kinda goes without saying, Calvin ... and I didn't say it helps wounds ... I said it doesn't infect 'em.
Sea of Green wrote: Put seawater on an open wound and see what happens.
I did ... a few dozen times over the years. What happened? Nothing ... the wound healed pretty much as it would have if I hadn't been out on a boat getting seawater all over it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

So, Seawater causes leprosy, and creosote cures cancer. I think we can all agree that these are well established scientific facts.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Yup that sounds like you got it right Nailer and Doesn't Bacon help keep kosher #-o
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Sea of Green wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Somehow I managed to miss this thread (most of it happened while I was in Port Hardy), and just stumbled on it.

Hate to say it folks, but a lot of it sounds like something out of an AM radio talk show.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah, like Air America and NPR...
I don't need to go any further than that ... you just made my point.

None of the rest of your post addresses the topic of this thread, which is the oil dock.

If you want to discuss that topic, fine ... I'll be happy to listen, and share my viewpoints. Just be prepared to deal with differences in a respectful manner.

But let's please leave the political crap off this board ... there's too many other places on the Internet where you can talk about that stuff ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob -

You started it with your crack about some of the posts resembling AM Radio, how "respectful" is that? But yeah, whatever, ok. The rest of my post merely reflects the progression of any thread or topic that resembles normal conversation, in that it will wander a bit, but it was still diving related, NOT political.
Last edited by Sea of Green on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Sea of Green wrote: I'm sure it didn't feel good, but it's not a good example. Put seawater on an open wound and see what happens. I had a small cut one time from an oyster shell trying to shuck oysters in my bare hands. I ignored it, it didn't heal and festered up, turned green until good ol' Mom told me to take a sterlized needle, break it open and clean out the gunk (I couldn't believe how bad it stunk!) and use a strong disinfectant on it (Bag Balm). It healed right up after that. All because a little bit of seawater got in a relatively minor scrape. Lesson learned: Wear gloves when shucking oysters, and never ignore even minor wounds that come in contact with seawater.
Hmmm ... during my sailing years I got plenty of cuts and scrapes soaked in seawater ... some of them for days at a time before I had a chance to get off the boat and apply anything more than a bandage. None of them ever got infected as you describe. Perhaps whatever bacteria caused your infection came from the oyster shell, and not from the water.
Perhaps. It sure as hell wasn't an aphrodisiac!
Grateful Diver wrote:
Sea of Green wrote: But yeah, I don't see any reason why we couldn't use the area for a EUP south, unless they decide to ban diving altogether from Marina Beach. But the city of Seattle tried to do that at Cove 2, remember? Divers got together and pointed out to the powers that be that they cannot ban one type of recreational activity while allowing others.
Divers didn't "point out" any such thing at Cove 2 ... a group of divers representing dive clubs (primarily Marker Buoys and Seahorses) proposed a compromise solution that, fortunately, addressed the safety concerns of the folks at the Seattle Parks and Recreation Dept, and so they agreed to give it a try. But it didn't happen without a lot of cooperative effort between the dive community and the SPR. Had it been undertaken in a confrontational manner, I doubt it would've gotten anywhere.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
However you want to word it, Bob, but they did try to ban diving altogether at first, which IMHO is as heavy-handed and confrontational as you could get, and they didn't ask for anybody's input before they did (but I guess City Hall doesn't need to). As you already know, the MB's, Seahorses and a few others thrown in for good measure "pointed out" (in a non-confrontational, nicey-nice way) a compromise/solution whatever you want to call it. Point being the same could be tried with Edmonds, City of, in regards to doing something once the Oil Dock is gone, especially since there is a precedence of heavenly cooperation in a non-confrontational nicey-nice way with the BHUT :bootyshake: (I just LOVE that acronym!) just down the road.
Last edited by Sea of Green on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Nailer99 wrote:So, what are you saying? Is Creosote a new miracle tonic that we should rub on babies to make them healthier and stronger?
No, but it probably goes good with Vodka...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sea of Green wrote: However you want to word it, Bob, but they did try to ban diving altogether at first, which IMHO is as heavy-handed and confrontational as you could get, and they didn't ask for anybody's input before they did (but I guess City Hall doesn't need to). As you already know, the MB's, Seahorses and a few others thrown in for good measure "pointed out" (in a non-confrontational, nicey-nice way) a compromise/solution whatever you want to call it. Point being the same could be tried with Edmonds, City of, in regards to doing something once the Oil Dock is gone, especially since there is a precedence of heavenly cooperation in a non-confrontational nicey-nice way with the BHUT :bootyshake: (I just LOVE that acronym!) just down the road.
Well, get ready for Round 3 ... Yvonne told me last week that the water taxi goes in permanent ... and year-round ... starting in 2010. Once that happens, look for them to expand service.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sea of Green wrote:[
Bob -

You started it with your crack about some of the posts resembling AM Radio, how "respectful" is that? But yeah, whatever, ok. The rest of my post merely reflects the progression of any thread or topic that resembles normal conversation, in that it will wander a bit, but it was still diving related, NOT political.
I was responding to the "eggheads, Queen Christine, Flo-ri-duh" remarks ... all of which I believe you made.

I don't really care what your political leanings are, but please keep comments like that out of these conversations ... they're just political "hot-buttons", and they add nothing at all to what's being discussed.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Just when the DIR / UTD stuff finally starts dieing down, here we go again with something else! Must be that time of year... :violent3: Come on people, let's "play nice" - give your opinions, but try and keep the jabs, etc. to a minimum... I know it's hard... but, please! :smt051 Thanks for doin' your best...

What we need now is a GOOD thread hi-jack! Caption for this pic anyone? "Yada, Yada, Yada" or "One side of a political argument."

More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tom Nic wrote: What we need now is a GOOD thread hi-jack! Caption for this pic anyone? "Yada, Yada, Yada" or "One side of a political argument."

I'll have a creosote and vodka on the rocks, please ... shaken, not stirred ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

=D> Nice...
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:Image
do i have any creosote stuck in my teeth?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yowza! What's a sweet-looking saddle-back babe like you doing in my neighborhood?! Yo baby!! Woooo Woooo!! :sign10:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Double Nice!! =D>
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Sounder wrote:Image
"That's as wide as I can open, pull the @#$% tooth already!!!!"
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

OH SOOOOLOOOO MEEEEYOOOOOOOOO!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:OH SOOOOLOOOO MEEEEYOOOOOOOOO!
Well Done!! :laughing3: I can just "hear" it! :hello2: (Must of been inspiration from your trip to Italy!)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote:
spatman wrote:OH SOOOOLOOOO MEEEEYOOOOOOOOO!
Well Done!! :laughing3: I can just "hear" it! :hello2: (Must of been inspiration from your trip to Italy!)
You must fly out tonight. You're not stuck in an airport, yet.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea
(cue the gunnellettes backup signers)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

airsix wrote: Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea
(cue the gunnellettes backup signers)
Sweet! The perfect song to get stuck in my head while I'm FLYING OUT FOR BONAIRE!!! :bounce: Did I mention I'm leaving for Bonaire tonight?!? \:D/
Sounder wrote:You must fly out tonight. You're not stuck in an airport, yet.
Lift off at 9:25 PM!! :bounce: Say, did I mention I'm LEAVING FOR BONAIRE TODAY?!!!

(I need to photoshop a Hawaian shirt and mask on that gunnel!)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:Lift off at 9:25 PM!! :bounce: Say, did I mention I'm LEAVING FOR BONAIRE TODAY?!!!
have a great time, tom!