Edmonds Oil Dock to be removed soon.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Edmonds Oil Dock to be removed soon.

Post by ljjames »

I have hours and hours of video of the life at the docks if that can be of any assistance...

excerpts here:

http://www.vimeo.com/2285614

http://www.vimeo.com/1207580
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

laura, thanks for the links... that's a cool sight you have put together!! I did notice that you mention the unical pier as being removed as part of the ferry relocation... just want to make sure that you and everyone knows that there are no current plans to build the ferry terminal there anymore, in fact there are no solid plans at all. the main driver now seems to be that the city does not want to maintain the pier (can't blame them exactly) and that the public funding was had at no expense to the city (the tax payer instead) through the WSF which is chalking the whole thing up the environmental mitigation to get the funding. For those who still have some fight left in them, focusing our message on support of cleaning up of the toxic mess and inshore hazard while carefully preserving the reef in the deep water portion seems like our best bet, the WSF gets their mitigation credits needed for other projects, the city is absolved of much of the expense and hazard, most of the nasty toxic crap is removed. the end portion is not going to be removed till much later in the project according to a contact... there might still be time. Until it's gone, i'll plug away with attempts to inspire the council with the wonders of the life there, they were clearly ignorant of what is down there... probably a bio mass equivalent to the entire 23 acre under water park.

please all, give us your best shots of the life down there. A photo still speaks a thousand words! Video would be great to.

for lack of adequate public notice, for apparent misleading of the site being needed for a future ferry terminal and for lack of an environmental impact study that is actually done on site and not a comparison of a site "like it" (which there isn't as best I can tell), we have viable points to urge reconsideration right up to the point where they remove the end part of the pier. Does anyone know if there are laws requiring land use action notices going up on site before a project of this magnitude begins? A few weeks notice sure doesn't seem right.

g
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

I finally got a chance to put a little video together that highlights some of the issues with the lack of public comment, lack of site specific hearings and the amazing abundance of sea life. If Edmonds had not exempt WA state ferries from the usual permitting process we would have all known about this much sooner through on site public notice, public hearings etc. and a lot more folks would have gotten motivated to give input. It would seem that there is some kind of conflict of interest where the one who is in charge of holding the hearings is benefiting from not having them. It wouldn't be any of our business except that our tax dollars are paying for the removal... that makes it our business!

Enjoy,
G
Check out the video:
http://www.vimeo.com/2555390
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

George has done a great job of communicating this issue with all of us, and I personally want to thank him for that. Now it is time to maybe do something, lets not give up on this !!!!! I think we should start a legal fund, raise some $$$$ and try and legally get this stopped.

I will step up to the plate here and contribute and I might know an attorney that would be willing to get involved, we also need some press coverage and a news story to put some pressure on the the people that are making these decisions that might not be in the best interest of the general public nor the environment.

I know Calvin might have some media connections, is he around or still on vacation ?????.

Because of George's efforts, he now has gotten my attention and we need to do something !!!!!!

Curt
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Curt McNamee wrote: I know Calvin might have some media connections, is he around or still on vacation ?????.
He is in the Cayman Islands until X-mas