bottles!!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: bottles!!

Post by Sounder »

Oh Jake, you didn't REALLY go there, did you? #-o [-X ](*,)
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:Oh Jake, you didn't REALLY go there, did you? #-o [-X ](*,)
c'mon, sounder, lighten up. you know jake's just playing.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I've got some empties over here from last night. You're welcome to them guys. Corona, Ketel One, Bombay Sapphire....
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:I was just kidding around- yeah, the spot Howard's talking about is around 155-165 fsw- definitely not a rec dive.
Whatever dude, I carry a SpairAir. :la:
Yeh Baby!
I have two SpairAirs I can be down forever and a minute. :bootyshake:

Actually if you want to see bottles you should see Diver-Daves collection(s) :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

60south wrote:
Burntchef wrote:right now we go to a general area and dig away
Dig? You DIG for them? Eeeeeewww! :toimonster:

I'm too lazy for that. Nature is my shovel -- when they're ripe they pop out of the sand.

glenn
Same here. I found out about "privy digging" when I researched the dairy bottle I found. Some amazing finds in those old privies, but like you, I'm too lazy to do the research and all that digging.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I was just thinkin'
How many SKYY VODKA Bottles are at Three Tree N? :dontknow: :smt064
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Howard and I had another successful bottle hunt. I found a little one that I was able to date. The photo I attached is not the actual bottle but exactly the same. I'm going to have to soak mine in CLR for a bit to get the crud off. I found a really cool vintage Pepsi bottle and Howard got a nice vintage Coke.

This is an old Listerine bottle. Listerine was originally sold by different pharmaceutical companies and this bottle was produced for the Lambert Pharmacal Company. This bottle measures 5.3125" tall with a max circumference of 7.25" and holds an unknown volume.

"LISTERINE" is embossed on the side of the bottle just below the neck. "LAMBERT PHARMACAL COMPANY" is embossed on the side of the bottle just above the bottom.

"This still familiar brand was first produced in 1879 and was only available by prescription until 1914. Machine-made and date from the late 1910s or 1920s as they have the "diamond I" makers mark for the Illinois Glass Co. Alton, IL. which the company used from 1915 to 1929 "
Attachments
05.jpg
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

F........k i missed it again due to being lazy, i just didn't want to clean gear again before my mix class tonight. serves me :crybaby: right
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i told you :bootyshake: dont worry bj we found a new sweet spot anyway that isnt picked over.

and just for other bottle hunters if you come across a bunch of bottles that are stuck in the mud top down that means those have allready beed picked over and arent worthy.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BASSMAN wrote:I was just thinkin'
How many SKYY VODKA Bottles are at Three Tree N? :dontknow: :smt064
I've never found any cool bottles. Darn it! :crybaby: And somebody at TTN has a SERIOUS vodka drinking problem!
Burntchef wrote:i told you :bootyshake: dont worry bj we found a new sweet spot anyway that isnt picked over.

and just for other bottle hunters if you come across a bunch of bottles that are stuck in the mud top down that means those have allready beed picked over and arent worthy.
Ah, the bottle hunting equivalent of peeing to mark your territory, no doubt. OR.... is it just a clever way to guard your stash so that no other experienced hunters will look there?! :smt027 Hmmm??? :smt064

[Tom sits back and smiles realizing that he's just made sure every compulsive bottle hunter will never be able to overlook a site again.]
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

no tom that one is true, we overturn them so we dont waste time at depth. or do we?? on a low tide with some 30% there are some nice finds to be had at cove 2
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I found a SWEET 1/2 pint Milk bottle from Portland Dairymens association inc. It was a sweet find, found it at 150fsw on my first helium dive ever and my first real good bottle find, and them i found a medicine bottle 3 minutes later at 130fsw. this was all at the yellow house in hood canal. it was deco diving (dah, mentioned helium) and deco diving is not for everyone, but boy is it for me. i had so much fun i still can't get the smirk off my face. :dontknow:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Joshua Smith, Maverick, Bigsky, Romer Treece and I went bottle hunting again tonight. We pulled up some unusual and very cool stuff. Here is my milk bottle.
Attachments
DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0009_renamed_19793.jpg
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I love hunting bottles, it's a blast. I need to get either some acid or CLR to clean up all the stuff i have found. I have a bunch of old bottles and now what we believe to be and old ink reservoir. it is a really interesting deign, looks like a gerber baby food jar with a rolled lip like Ken's milk bottle and a divider down the middle of the bottle, but its off the the 1/3 side and at a slight angle for the ink. very interesting and a rare find. It gets me all lacked up to find stuff like this and think back to the time when there was no BIC pen. :occasion5: I will post pics one day
Maverick

STAIRS.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

That was a fun dive! I got a WWI era coke bottle, and another odd bottle with a "fill to this line" marking on it. Also- there were a lot of cool critters out last night! We saw a bunch of stubby squid, many nudibranchs, a skate, and a huge lingcod.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

One of you should post the pic of that item we found at Muk St. Park :evil4:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I think Kevin and I already found that. We left it alone...

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... ids#p42807
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Dan (Romer Treece) and I did some monkey diving today and found some great bottles. Im going to start cleaning them up and give them a soak in muriatic acid. Dan found a bong too but I rammed him with my scoot and broke it. Sorry buddy!
Attachments
bottles.jpg
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I believe what you broke is technically called a "Water" Pipe! :rofl:

I found a bottle the other day that has "Hill Syrup Co. Seattle" embossed on the bottom. Can't find any information on it. It's a cool looking bottle, when I clean it up, I'll post a pic.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Pez7378 wrote:I believe what you broke is technically called a "Water" Pipe! :rofl:

I found a bottle the other day that has "Hill Syrup Co. Seattle" embossed on the bottom. Can't find any information on it. It's a cool looking bottle, when I clean it up, I'll post a pic.
This is the bottle I found at Three Tree N. that had "Seattle Syrup Co." embossed on the bottom!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

That's it! Identical.
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

Ken G wrote: Dan found a bong too but I rammed him with my scoot and broke it. Sorry buddy!
What!?!? I thought it was a vase!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Question:

To clean or to not to? I have seen people do both, and I'm wondering if there is some kind of bottle hunter protocol here? Or is it simply personal preference?
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

I clean, but don't scrape or scour.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

For the most part I clean them. Dan told me about Muriatic acid and it works great. I soak and dont scrub. I have left a few alone though as I like them left in the state I found them.
Personal choice I guess.