What's the advantage of a BP?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Metal man
Aquaphile

Re: What's the advantage of a BP?

Post by Metal man »

Wow! Thanks for all of the input folks. I'll definately be renting a set up and trying it out, possibly tomorrow =D>
I wish I could get out there on a Tuesday but I work when most people are out playing...or in bed for that matter.
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

vbcoachchris wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote: In fact you can spend a few days here and Scubaboard reading the pros and cons of a bp/w.
There are cons?

Scott
The cons are also what most consider to be pros: this is a piece of metal with webbing pulled through it. It's not a very sophisticated or inherently ergonomic piece of equipment. But, it is fairly customizable, so if you want to spend the money and time tinkering with a bunch of accessories, clips, buckles attachments, cutting and burning the webbing, etc., etc., etc. - then maybe a BP/W is for you. I personally typically prefer to buy products that have three dimensional design elements and thought put toward ergonomics. Again, take what I say with a grain of salt because I actually dive a BP/W here in the PNW, but only because a Megalodon canister would look really silly attached to a jacket BC :evil4:
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

tangfish wrote:
vbcoachchris wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote: In fact you can spend a few days here and Scubaboard reading the pros and cons of a bp/w.
There are cons?

Scott
The cons are also what most consider to be pros: this is a piece of metal with webbing pulled through it. It's not a very sophisticated or inherently ergonomic piece of equipment. But, it is fairly customizable, so if you want to spend the money and time tinkering with a bunch of accessories, clips, buckles attachments, cutting and burning the webbing, etc., etc., etc. - then maybe a BP/W is for you. I personally typically prefer to buy products that have three dimensional design elements and thought put toward ergonomics. Again, take what I say with a grain of salt because I actually dive a BP/W here in the PNW, but only because a Megalodon canister would look really silly attached to a jacket BC :evil4:

Now I understand “con” was just a synonym for some of the “pros”. =D>

Scott
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

laivindil wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:Or you take a lot of PADI classes that require that you don and doff your BC at the surface?
I've taken off my BP/W on the surface twice. Release waist buckle, undo crotch strap, undo drysuit hose and take off bungied octo if so equipped, slide one arm out, slide other arm out. I wasn't in a pool either. Granted I haven't tried putting it on in the water but I don't see how it'd be overwhelmingly difficult.
fwiw, i've doffed my bp/w at the surface 3x, donned at the surface 2x, as well as doffed and donned on a sandy bottom in 20' of water. it's really not any more or less difficult than when i did it with a jacket BC. just takes a little practice and be sure to keep your reg in your mouth for the donning part. especially in 20' of water. :evil4:
Metal man
Aquaphile

Post by Metal man »

Thanks Spatman for that link to the not so long ago thread on this subject, it was very helpful. :supz:
The whole part about being streamlined, having your weight distributed, and the simplicity of the set up just really appeals to me. For some reason I think I'll miss the pockets, even though I have yet to use one :smt119
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Metal man wrote: For some reason I think I'll miss the pockets, even though I have yet to use one :smt119
Not a problem. Fully customizable -

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/pockets.shtml

Or you do like most folks and get a Drysuit with pockets. I have a thigh pocket similar to the diverite one, but I only use it on some dives. For the most part I find that not having pockets makes it so I don't take crap I don't need.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Pockets? You want pockets? All the BP/Wing mfg make pockets that actually "fit" on the waist belt better than most BCD's

But hey. You are basically hearing only one side of the argument here and all those companies producing BCDs aren't doing it for laughs. There are allot of folks out there that actually dive BCDs all there diving lives and do so quite effectively even here in the northwest. I have even been in several shops that don't even stock BP/wings although they will order one for you.

Best advice is get out there and try all the types you can and make your own mind up. Don't buy cause that's what all the guys out there are wearing. Buy what works for you and hey if it's green or chartreuse who the hell cares at least your buddy will know you from the rest of the crowd!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Metal man wrote:For some reason I think I'll miss the pockets, even though I have yet to use one :smt119
you could always add pockets to your wetsuit/drysuit if you find you need them.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

spatman wrote:
probably something about getting a lime-green slap upside your head if you go there....
=D> Tru dat. Scott, about that ride..... :)
CaptnJack wrote:
scottsax wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:Could be that you're really into lime green dive gear?

-Eric
There's gotta be a Penopolypants joke in there somewhere.... :smt064
Sockmonkey wrote: Also maybe they <insert crotch strap related joke here>?
This isn't it already? :dontknow:
I am soooo getting a lime green crotch strap now!!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:I am soooo getting a lime green crotch strap now!!

this i have to see!
Metal man
Aquaphile

Post by Metal man »

spatman wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:I am soooo getting a lime green crotch strap now!!

this i have to see!

Ooooh, look at all the pretty colors!! I could look like a true fish lure :fish:
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Metal man wrote:Thanks Spatman for that link to the not so long ago thread on this subject, it was very helpful. :supz:
The whole part about being streamlined, having your weight distributed, and the simplicity of the set up just really appeals to me. For some reason I think I'll miss the pockets, even though I have yet to use one :smt119
When I'm diving wet (in the tropics) I use X-shorts. Dorky? Way.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

tangfish wrote:I think "FUFU" means that he thinks these are for wussies (like fu-fu drinks).
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

if josh got even the smallest royalty each time that photo was used, he'd never have to buy sorb again...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

heh..... heheh :evil4:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Another good one. Am I photogenic, or what?
Attachments
scary.jpg
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

before:

2184876204_3e443f4549_o.jpg

after:

scary.jpg
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Metal man wrote:For some reason I think I'll miss the pockets, even though I have yet to use one :smt119
Try using the pockets some - chances are you'll come to despise them like everybody else does :)
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

My first BCD had this cool feature: inflating it would eject the pocket contents. I was like an aquatic jack-in-the-box. Or if you were below me... piñata.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

airsix wrote:My first BCD had this cool feature: inflating it would eject the pocket contents. I was like an aquatic jack-in-the-box. Or if you were below me... piñata.
-Ben
Coooooooool!!! :bounce:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

tangfish wrote:Image
Is that a coast guard boat on his back?
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

dsteding wrote:
I can't believe you survived that dive! I heard that you will die a horrible death if your wing is bungeed......I guess you got lucky! :dontknow: :violent3:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

cardiver wrote:
dsteding wrote:
I can't believe you survived that dive! I heard that you will die a horrible death if your wing is bungeed......I guess you got lucky! :dontknow: :violent3:

I got lucky. Notice all the retractors and stuff? They didn't kill me, either.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Joshua Smith wrote:
cardiver wrote:

I got lucky. Notice all the retractors and stuff? They didn't kill me, either.
It is a miracle.

Please tell me this was a couple years ago and not "nostalgia day" at Cove 2 last weekend.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.