What's the advantage of a BP?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: What's the advantage of a BP?

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah- I'm still in a wet suit, there....so, within my first 50 dives. and I had that 55# wing w/ STA- man, that thing sucked. Totally unstable, and the bungies didn't work right- they'd trap lots of air in places I couldn't vent- and I had that clear mask....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dude, don't knock the mask ... it's exactly like my first one. Same color and everything. I thought it was one of Apollo's better products ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

what the big deal about clear masks, anyway? is there a legit reason to have a black mask over a clear one, or is it just a cool factor?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hey, Clear masks are good enough for Richie Kohler- I'm not gonna knock them. I, personally, see better with a black mask. I find the glare in the peripheral kind of distracting.

(But let me ask you this: What color was the Lone Ranger's mask? :smt035 )

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:Hey, Clear masks are good enough for Richie Kohler- I'm not gonna knock them. I, personally, see better with a black mask. I find the glare in the peripheral kind of distracting.

i actually like the extra light the clear masks let in. i don't know if it's just psychological, but it seems like my eyes focus better.

and the lone ranger, puh-lease. that dude would have been just another cowboy if it wasn't for tonto.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Yep, glare is a huge problem in Puget Sound. :evil4: Once it was so bright my pupils almost contracted a bit, but not quite. :smt064 (sorry Josh, it's Friday. I can't help myself)
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I've been thinking about just getting implants ... octopus eyes would be nice ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Hey, Clear masks are good enough for Richie Kohler- I'm not gonna knock them. I, personally, see better with a black mask. I find the glare in the peripheral kind of distracting.

i actually like the extra light the clear masks let in. i don't know if it's just psychological, but it seems like my eyes focus better.

and the lone ranger, puh-lease. that dude would have been just another cowboy if it wasn't for tonto.

OK. Let's look at all the people who wear black masks, then:

-Ninjas

-Navy SEALS

-SWAT team dudes

-super-cool bank robber outlaw guys

-Batman

- badass tech divers

-uber-sexy S and M model chicks

Now, let's contrast that with a list of the people who wear cool clear masks:

-Richie Kohler

-Spatman

-

-

-

I made my choice. I'm pretty comfortable with it.

MarcG
Getting To Know Folks

Post by MarcG »

Not too mention the fact that clear silicon turns piss yellow after a while. Hard to look cool in a piss yellow mask. Just my opinion. :salute:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote: I made my choice. I'm pretty comfortable with it.
so it is just a cool factor then. you just want to roll with the cool club. i understand, josh, it's ok. some people just feel they need to belong.

me and richie will just continue to do our own thing. and someday, you'll probably want to emulate us, and that will be ok, too, josh. i don't hate, i congratulate.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

With all the really flattering pictures of me in this thread- including the drunken, brain damaged, hillbilly pedophile one I, myself, posted- do you *really* think I'm the kind of person who worries about looking cool?

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:With all the really flattering pictures of me in this thread- including the drunken, brain damaged, hillbilly pedophile one I, myself, posted- do you *really* think I'm the kind of person who worries about looking cool?
hey, i'm sure batman and the lone ranger both have some college frat pictures they regret, too. besides, me and richie will be sporting piss-colored masks soon enough. we can post some pics of those too.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:With all the really flattering pictures of me in this thread- including the drunken, brain damaged, hillbilly pedophile one I, myself, posted- do you *really* think I'm the kind of person who worries about looking cool?
hey, i'm sure batman and the lone ranger both have some college frat pictures they regret, too. besides, me and richie will be sporting piss-colored masks soon enough. we can post some pics of those too.
Look, dude- I don't want to hear about this strange "Richie Kohler watersports" fantasy of yours, and I REALLY don't want to see any pictures of it. Besides, Richie's a happily married man.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:Look, dude- I don't want to hear about this strange "Richie Kohler watersports" fantasy of yours, and I REALLY don't want to see any pictures of it. Besides, Richie's a happily married man.
touchè, dude. i can't top that one. :notworthy:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

OK, lets break down this list a bit.

-Ninjas - guys running around in pajamas and socks.

-Navy SEALS - OK I'll give you this one. The only valid entry in your list. I respect service men and women, especially the ones who have endured what SEAL and other special ops require.

-SWAT team dudes - Ever met any of these guys? "I'm better.""No, I'm better.""No, I'm better.""No, I'm better"... :boxing:

-super-cool bank robber outlaw guys - More like super moron loser. "Lets steal 1years wages, get caught in 2 weeks, and go to prison for 25-life." Brilliant. Ever watched "My name is Earl". Put a mask on them and there you go.

-Batman - Where do I start. Darth Vader meets Richard Simmons. Strange car, cape, mask with pointy ears, spends much of time with a young man in tights.

- badass tech divers - Now if you'd just said tech divers that would have been fine. But badass tech divers? Those are the twin brothers of the SWAT team dudes. "I'm better.""No, I'm better.""No, I'm better.""No, I'm better"... :boxing:

-uber-sexy S and M model chicks - I don't think it's going to work for you the same way it works for them. I'm just sayin' :dontknow:

:evil4: -Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ben, ninjas are cool. in fact, if there were a ninja scuba club, i would buy a black mask. hate to say it, but i'm a joiner when it comes to ninjas.

airsix wrote: I don't think it's going to work for you the same way it works for them. I'm just sayin'
you don't think this is sexy?

me neither.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

spatman wrote:what the big deal about clear masks, anyway? is there a legit reason to have a black mask over a clear one, or is it just a cool factor?
Personal preference. My mask has a black skirt, but I chose it because of the fit, not the color. I do find the black skirt a little better for photography for some reason - perhaps there's less distracting light when I'm trying to see the screen on my camera. On the other hand, when I dive with a buddy I sometimes get complaints to the effect of "I tried to get your attention with my light so I could show you the [insert cool critter here], but you didn't notice". Some might say that ignorance is bliss.

When it comes to skirts, length is far more important than color.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:OK, lets break down this list a bit.

-Ninjas - guys running around in pajamas and socks.
What's the matter? You got stars in your eyes, or something? Oh.....wait.....those are throwing stars. Man, he was fine a second ago......who left that window open?
airsix wrote:-Navy SEALS - OK I'll give you this one. The only valid entry in your list. I respect service men and women, especially the ones who have endured what SEAL and other special ops require.
We agree, then. Of course, a lot of these guys go on to join the Swat teams when they get out of the military.
airsix wrote:-SWAT team dudes - Ever met any of these guys? "I'm better.""No, I'm better.""No, I'm better.""No, I'm better"... :boxing:
Not them. The cool ones. See above. Think "flashbang grenade through the window, door blown off hinges, everybody down on the ground RIGHT NOW!"

airsix wrote:-super-cool bank robber outlaw guys - More like super moron loser. "Lets steal 1years wages, get caught in 2 weeks, and go to prison for 25-life." Brilliant. Ever watched "My name is Earl". Put a mask on them and there you go.

You can't be an American in the Western United States without some respect for the word "outlaw." Think Butch and Sundance. Go watch the movie "Heat."
airsix wrote:-Batman - Where do I start. Darth Vader meets Richard Simmons. Strange car, cape, mask with pointy ears, spends much of time with a young man in tights.
You haven't seen the new Batman movies? The Dark Knight stuff? Angry, brooding, dark, etc? Batman the way he was supposed to be, before Hollywood got ahold of him?
airsix wrote:- badass tech divers - Now if you'd just said tech divers that would have been fine. But badass tech divers? Those are the twin brothers of the SWAT team dudes. "I'm better.""No, I'm better.""No, I'm better.""No, I'm better"... :boxing:
Good point. I retract the word "badass."
airsix wrote:-uber-sexy S and M model chicks - I don't think it's going to work for you the same way it works for them. I'm just sayin' :dontknow:

:evil4: -Ben
I wasn't implying that it would, just trying to use sex to sell an idea. Usually works pretty well.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
airsix wrote:-Batman - Where do I start. Darth Vader meets Richard Simmons. Strange car, cape, mask with pointy ears, spends much of time with a young man in tights.
You haven't seen the new Batman movies? The Dark Knight stuff? Angry, brooding, dark, etc? Batman the way he was supposed to be, before Hollywood got ahold of him?
word.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Alright you two. You know I'm just messin' with you, right? I loved the last two batman movies as well as the last 007. I dig the "this is why he is the way he is" storyline. :supz: Still not to solid on ninjas though. They were cool in their day, but their technology is getting a little dated. They are no match for thermal imaging, motion sensors, weapons with night-vision optics... My enemies have never been smart enough to send more than three at a time, which proved to be no match for a guy with a dog, a short 12ga. and a flashlight. :dontknow:

-Ben
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:Alright you two. You know I'm just messin' with you, right? I loved the last two batman movies as well as the last 007. I dig the "this is why he is the way he is" storyline. :supz: Still not to solid on ninjas though. They were cool in their day, but their technology is getting a little dated. They are no match for thermal imaging, motion sensors, weapons with night-vision optics... My enemies have never been smart enough to send more than three at a time, which proved to be no match for a guy with a dog, a short 12ga. and a flashlight. :dontknow:

-Ben

Obviously, those weren't ninjas. Sounds more like CLINJAS to me.