Okay, I am a little biased about this...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kenpodan
Avid Diver

Okay, I am a little biased about this...

Post by kenpodan »

But really, DIT divers sometimes really tick me off!, Granted the last DIt student I actually I knew and dove with I had to do CPR on so yeah, I am a little biased - but...I did a night dive last night at Cove 2, just going out to play around and have some fun...saw the DIT vans there, thought 'oh crud', whatever, going to dive and have fun regardless...well, the amazing DIT lazer light show hit us about midway through the dive - gotta love a bright light aimed directly at your face! Then there was the so impressive 'let's walk along the bottom and kick stuff' swim technique, followed by the 'hey, this boulder is in the way, why don't four us grab it and roll it around' silt storm. GRRR!!! My favorite though - swimming along the boundry line, heading back to the beach two pair of lights off to my right side - well within the boundry line, blazing right at me...closer...closer...closer...BAM! One diver running right over me...good time to get out of the water and no thanks, I'll skip dive number two... :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Okay, I am a little biased about this...

Post by Sounder »

Were they on surface supplied air wearing hard-hats??

I had the same thing happen to me - I was entangled in a hose and just about cut it.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
kenpodan
Avid Diver

Post by kenpodan »

No - they were on open circut scuba, paired-up, mabye 20 or 30 divers totall...Really annoying!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

kenpodan wrote:No - they were on open circut scuba, paired-up, mabye 20 or 30 divers totall...Really annoying!
See your PM box...
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Hey, if you guys have issues with them being like that, ping Joshua at Tacoma. He might be able to do something about that.

When I did the Scuba Session at DIT, We had Bill as the teacher, and he wasn't messing around. He was pretty good at taking the hardhat divers out to areas where if they went past depth, they could touch bottom. Going past depth meant sitting out the next dive though.

We only had one guy do idiotic things in our class, but he was an F'ing moron.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

They do tend to just take over the entire site and blow everyone else out of the water. That's why I don't drive all the way up there anymore. :angryfire:
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

So is that like their entry level class or something that just goes in there once a month and messes everything up?
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Alex wrote:So is that like their entry level class or something that just goes in there once a month and messes everything up?
It's either their middle of the year class, or last class, depending on which class it is. They have a few weeks of SCUBA they have to go through to get their commercial C-card.

The reason they are so messy? We wear boots, not fins. I was fortunate by having been a rec diver since I was 14, but many other students are new, and they are used to walking on the bottom, not swimming.

I agree that it's pretty rough, but there's a lot of water. Everyone can share it. Also, they may be surface supplied, but I'm sure they would be up for any advice if you talk to them on their SI's.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

We bumped into a class of them (About 20) a week ago at Cove 2. They were polite enough when we asked them what their dive plans were and we just made sure to dive deeper than they were going to be so that we had good vis.