Diving in or around Marinas

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Samson

Diving in or around Marinas

Post by Samson »

Excuse me if this is a really dumb question. As I am new to diving and the NW I dont fully know the rules yet. However, back home in Idaho, one of our fun things we used to do was go diving around the boat docks in the local lakes and reservoirs. Obviously, we were cautious of boat traffic and such. It was our little "treasure" dives we called it. It was a hoot to go and find the things that boaters had dropped in over the years. We used to find sunglasses, watches, chairs, etc. Once, my buddy even pulled out a 25 hp evinrude outboard! Took it home and flushed the cylinders, changed the plugs and it fired right up! I was just curious if anyone did any diving around the local marinas? Is this even allowed?? Seems like a good place to go "treasure hunting"

Samson-
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: Diving in or around Marinas

Post by defied »

It's been a few years since I've last done it, but generally, common courtesy dictates asking the office if it would be allright to help remove trash from their marina's, find a dock to dive off of that does not have any running vessels (be careful of Sea Chests!!!), and make sure you set up a flag from your start point. Don't go messing around under peoples boats either. 0]

Have fun. I used to do it in some of the marinas in San Diego back in the day! I came out of it with a wallet filled with 100 rotten dollars, and a pair of those $300.00 Oakley POS glasses. I wore them around the base until I sat on them (As I do with all my other $8.00 pairs I buy). 0]
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Hey Samson,
Where were you in Idaho? Our home base is in Boise at the moment.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Samson

Post by Samson »

I used to live in Boise also. Born and raised...... We used to dive arrowrock and lucky peak alot, even once or twice in Anderson.
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Samson,

I know that you can dive in Everett but it is not allowed in Edmonds marina.
Sean
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Many marinas here have shore power and sometimes it "leaks" through faulty wiring . This can pose a serious electrocution hazard to swimmers and divers. Diving (without permission) is prohibited in most marinas for this reason and the prop strike issue. And because their tenants will have to avoid you. And because most are quite contaminated with various nasties like fecal coliforms. An engine left in saltwater for even a week is going to be nearly beyond economical repair.

Seriously, if you want to treasure hunt try a swimming beach in the off season. You'll probably find a few dollars, watches, and ear rings.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote: Seriously, if you want to treasure hunt try a swimming beach in the off season. You'll probably find a few dollars, watches, and ear rings.
In rivers where people jump off bridges (for fun not the other :pale: ). Impact tends to cause things to float to the bottom.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

More than one expensive watch has been found at my favorite little public dock in the off-season... :evil4:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

Anyone want to go do the Kirkland dock and see how many Rolex watches we find... lol and hopefully a pair of my sunglasses I dropped right by the Argosy boat. Do we need to ask permission for that or can we just walk outon that little beach and go?
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

Just called Kirkland Marina and spoke to a really nice guy who works there his name is Mike. He called me right back after doing his research and said that there is a general "no swimming" law for King County in Marinas.

He also mentioned that he checked his books and in Kirkland there is a specific "no skin diving within the harbor or 300 feet near docks and ferries." Making the entire thing illegal.

However he did mention that there is a group of divers that meet up every earth day and with special permission go clean up the Marina.

So I guess this is pretty good info to know. Thank you Mike!