New CCR Book by Mel Clark

General banter about diving and why we love it.
RebreatherNut
Frequent Bubbler

New CCR Book by Mel Clark

Post by RebreatherNut »

Rebreathers Simplified

A Complete Guide to Choosing, Understanding and Diving a Closed Circuit Rebreather

Hi all,
I just wanted to spread the word about Mel Clark’s new CCR Book.
I had the pleasure to be one of the first one out there to receive a copy from Curt and I sunk my teeth into it right away.

This book is 312 pages thick and is geared towards the “newbie”, or I shall say the OC diver who is just about to switch over to CCR, wants to learn all there is out there in regards to rebreathers and in the end to make a selection with what system (eCCR or mCCR) and what rig to go with.

There is so much information in this book; I decided to just quickly list the Chapters:
(each chapter contains tons of sub-points and topics) The wealt is spreadin

Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Why bother?
Chapter 3: Rebreather Design and how it works
Chapter 4: Selecting the right CCR for you
Chapter 5: Generic Rebreather preparation and post dive steps
Chapter 6: CCR Skills
Chapter 7: Survival Operations
Chapter 8: Physiology
Chapter 9: Dive Planning

There is a huge Appendix section that contains for each rebreather following:
- Picture build check sheet
- Build check sheet
- Pre-dive check sheet
- Post dive check sheet

The appendix section looks like this:

Appendix 1 Evolution
Appendix 2 Inspiration
Appendix 3 KISS Classic
Appendix 4 KISS Sport
Appendix 5 Megalodon APECs
Appendix 6 Megalodon COPIS
Appendix 7 O2ptima FX
Appendix 8 Pelagian
Appendix 9 rEvo
I have been told that with arrivals of new CCR models on the market the appendix section of that book will be periodically updated, in order to keep this book current.

The book is full of great color pictures and the appendix section has also tons of photographs with step by step pictures and descriptions.

I believe if a scuba diver who wants to get into CCR diving were to read this book front to back, he/she would have no problem in class, because when I compare this book with what was covered in the class room portion of my Sport KISS class, there is pretty much everything there, except the unit specific details.

Anyway, this is a great new book with a wealth of information, in addition to the book that Mel published last year (CCR Trimix Simplified).

If you want to know more, you can contact Mel and/or Curt directly:
[email addresses removed, please use PM or email function]

Also, for all of you who are going to DEMA this coming week, Curt will have a limited amount of books on hand for sale at the Shearwater booth.

Happy reading,

RBN
"One minute to go, Luck-meister! Then I'll be down on you like a buzzard on a gut wagon." - ALF
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: New CCR Book by Mel Clark

Post by Joshua Smith »

Ooops- looks like you beat me to the punch, RebreatherNut! I, too have one of the early copies. I won't step on your review other than to say that I wish I had had a copy when I was pondering making the leap to CCR. There isn't another book like this out there- it fills a definite need. The hows and whys section is comprehensive and thorough, giving an excellent overview of how CCRs work, and the various different configurations. Most people interested in buying a CCR end up buying a model that their instructor or dive buddy has recommended to them, without really understanding all the various possible choices. If you want to be a well informed consumer, or you're just curious about silent diving- you can do no better than getting ahold of this book.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Joshua Smith wrote:Ooops- looks like you beat me to the punch, RebreatherNut! I, too have one of the early copies.
I'm biased towards the book, but I'm the model for the photos in the Evolution section of the Appendix. Mel was also my 'mix instructor. There's good stuff in there, even if I had to put my unit back to the stock config just for the photos! :smt038
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Like Camerone, I am also biased toward this book! The author and her "better half" are good friends of mine and I am also one of those that waded through it as a proof-reader, (whew!). As such, I also have gotten my hands on one of the first copies and, like RebreatherNut, I am impressed. The amount of time and effort to put this book together was simply incredible. I really, really wish that something like this had been available when I first started investigating CCRs years ago....it would have helped me a lot!

This is a book designed for newer CCR divers as well as those Open-Circuit divers that are first learning about CCRs and trying hard to understand them. It would also be particularly useful for those considering which way to go in terms of deciding which individual CCR unit to go with.

With those "niche" audiences in mind, the book does an absolutely wonderful job of weaving through the many intricacies of CCR design, operation, and methodology. The explanations are easy to follow and readily understandable. Those with questions about how CCRs function and why certain attributes of the various designs work as they do will find their questions answered.

Any of you thinking about "switching over" to CCR diving should really consider picking one of these up - after reading it things will make FAR more sense than they do to you now! Any of you CCR divers here on the board with potential dive buddies that are considering switching to CCR should point them toward this book, or even better give one to them as a gift - they will thank you for it.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

OK ... so y'all are raving about the book but neglecting to mention how to get ahold of a copy. No, I'm not particularly interested in switching to a CCR (not at this time anyway) ... but it does sound like a good resource for learning more about them.

I've sent Mel an e-mail asking how to get a copy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I would have LOVED to give everyone a link. Unfortunately, it's so new that they don't even have the book on their website yet! Better get on that, Curt! #-o

The only way to order one right now is through an e-mail to Curt or Mel, and RebreatherNut gave their e-mail addresses above.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

John Rawlings wrote:I would have LOVED to give everyone a link. Unfortunately, it's so new that they don't even have the book on their website yet! Better get on that, Curt! #-o

The only way to order one right now is through an e-mail to Curt or Mel, and RebreatherNut gave their e-mail addresses above.

- John
You can place on order with me direct at [please use email or PM link provided] and the book will be available on line with several distributors as soon as the big printing run is finished.
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Curt, I edited out your email address. Posting your email address to the web is how it gets onto spam lists, so I'm just trying to save you some hassle. Everyone, you can email or PM Curt directly, using the icons just beneath his avatar.

Congrats on the book Mel!
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

Calvin Tang wrote:Curt, I edited out your email address. Posting your email address to the web is how it gets onto spam lists, so I'm just trying to save you some hassle. Everyone, you can email or PM Curt directly, using the icons just beneath his avatar.

Congrats on the book Mel!
Thanks !!!!!
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com