Puerto Vallarta

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
defied
I've Got Gills

Puerto Vallarta

Post by defied »

Leaving tomorrow. I've convinced my wife to go on a discovery dive, so she can see if she likes it, however the one site I found (PV Scuba) is $115.00 (150?) to dive her, and 85 to dive me with her (as I'm the licensed one). She has concerns about this, as do I (I did a discovery dive with a friend in Cabo San Lucas that was pretty awesome for not passing 30 feet, and it was $90.00 for him).

Also, I'm not sure what the experience will be like, one bottle, two bottle, mud, glass, etc...

So I'm looking for something with a better price where someone has experienced a great dive. 0]

I really want her to experience some serious beauty to get her all sorts of turned on to diving, but she is concerned about the cost.

Thanks!
D(B)

PS: Please no, "You get what you pay for" posts. Thanks.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Re: Puerto Vallarta

Post by Diver_C »

BbbleMkr and I dove with http://www.pacificscuba.com.mx/ 2.5 years ago. We had a great time! Not sure if I'll ever get back to PV, but would dive with them again. I've heard of this other place http://www.oceanquestmexico.com/divesites.html but know nothing else of them.

Good luck!

Rich
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Thanks!

D(B)
crbrown
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by crbrown »

I would recommend making a decision based upon comfort level rather than price. Visit the shops upon arrival & go with the one that makes her (& you)the most comfortable, regardless of price. I was in a similar situation 10 years ago & went with the cheapest dive shop in town (at the time). We were treated like cattle even though there were only 4 people in the class. The open water dive turned into an absolute catastrophe & my wife is just now (for our 10th anniversary) getting her full open water cert. In hindsight, there were red flags popping up in my head the entire time in the pool & I allowed my enthusiasm to overshadow common sense. I have since paid for my negligence for 10 years that could have been spent diving happily together. Discover scuba experiences can be wonderful & trigger the love affair with diving that you are hoping for in your wife. Be smart in your choices & don't be afraid to pull the plug if anything seems out of line. You will not regret saying no but you may regret saying OK at the wrong time.

BTW. I was very impressed with the diving in PV. We did Los Arcos & I was not dissapointed. It is very possible that with the right combination of personnel & dive conditions, this experience may end up costing you a lot more than you anticipate. With the full open water class & all the shiny new gear you'll be buying for your wife upon your return!
If we couldn't splash, we'd all go insane.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

crbrown wrote:...It is very possible that with the right combination of personnel & dive conditions, this experience may end up costing you a lot more than you anticipate. With the full open water class & all the shiny new gear you'll be buying for your wife upon your return!
That is the plan. 0]

Allthough I'm being a cheapskate at this time, I'm still going to be looking around the shops for what I feel will be the best experience for my wife, naturally. My question posed here was because I was wanting to hear peoples opinions, and include the price factor, so I had somewhere to start. 0]

Thanks for the input!
D(B)
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Thanks all!

I ended up going with Alex (Alejandro) at PvScuba, and it was a pretty awesome trip. 100.00 each, and she got a $25.00 pool lesson.

She loved it!