10 Signs You're Addicted to Diving

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Re: 10 Signs You're Addicted to Diving

Post by Kalatin »

defied wrote:
your bath tub is filled with Dive fins, a drysuit, three different masks, and a rubber ducky.
Dude, how did you get into my house? I should take a picture, but the tub in my spare bathroom actually has all of this gear AND a rubber ducky. Creepy.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

I have been diving 3 days a week for the last 15 years. Shit, I'm not addicted I could quit anytime I want to!!!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

When driving in bad weather you pull over and ziptie glow sticks to the bumper and front grill...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You're justifying a $1700 computer because, after all, you've already spent MORE than $1700 on the other four computers you've bought.

You're trying to decide which of the three dry suits to sell.

You're trying to figure out if you should upgrade your canister light because the new ones have banana plugs and only cost about three hundred dollars more than the one you bought did, new.

2009 is already almost completely scheduled out for dive trips. And there are no other trips.

You've already broken almost all the "I'll never"s that you've said about diving, and the ones you haven't broken yet terrify you with their prospects. (Tech 2, or rebreathers, anybody?)

You're excited about buying sexy new undergarments, as long as they're Thinsulate.

Your Christmas want list begins with stage bottle rigging.

The concept of nitrogen deficiency makes SENSE to you.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

-You compiled all the reasons listed in this thread into a Word document, which you'll be happy to email to anyone that asks....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I didn't include Pez's pamphlet-you-find-outside-the-school-nurses'-office material... because it was just that funny.... and scary.

Did I miss anything?
  1. You start to assess your land friend's ability to have your back when things go to hell.
  2. You no longer detect the musty mold smell your car has acquired.
  3. You’ve created a new Quicken category for scuba gear.
  4. You're able to plan an entire week's worth of diving but have no idea what's for dinner.
  5. You evaluate potential real estate rental/purchases by the amount of adequate drying and storage area it has.
  6. You put on your coat, carry your shoes to the door, and put a hand on your significant other's shoulder to put your shoes on.
  7. You've purchased replacement pages for your dive log more than twice in the last year.
  8. When asked questions you reply with hand signals.
  9. You know how much remaining gas you had and how long into the dive you were when you saw the octo, but cannot recall what you ate for lunch that day.
  10. Your significant other starts to ask “What days are you diving so I can schedule ____?” before he/she makes plans.
  11. You store your scuba gear in the garage, and put the car in the driveway ... because your gear is worth more than your car.
  12. You name your first-born child "Deco".
  13. You spend more time at the dive shop than you spend at home.
  14. You buy your wife scuba gear for her birthday ... and she doesn't even dive.
  15. You haven't seen your parents in eight years ... because they live in the mid-west and there's no diving there.
  16. You service your dive gear religiously ... your car, on the other hand, has gone 15,000 miles since the last oil change.
  17. You deny that any of these things have anything to do with you.
  18. You seriously think of changing your car to a more appropriate "dive car".
  19. You start re-evaluate your living situation and think of moving to a bigger place with a garage or more room to stow gear.
  20. Your non-diving friends and family start thinking and continue to think you are a kook for all the diving.
  21. Your vacation plans become dive oriented.
  22. You've lost interest in shoe shopping or generally shopping, if it is not dive gear shopping.
  23. You realize you work so you can get more dive gear.
  24. You feel bad for consuming fish or seafood, because you'd rather see them alive below sea level.
  25. You've already checked this thread more than once.
  26. In addition to your regular vehicles for daily use, you own a vehicle (for me, a little gray pick-up truck) exclusively to be used for diving.
  27. Your friends see you so often in your dive-mobile that they think that's the only car you own.
  28. Your friends see you so often in your drysuit that they think that's the only clothes you own.
  29. You fail to recognize what other divers look like without their drysuit/dive gear on.
  30. You only recognize dive buddies if they have their masks on.
  31. You no longer use the "thumbs up" sign to indicate something is good, you use OK.
  32. High heels and perfume no longer excite you, but the smell of seawater and neoprene is the greatest aphrodisiac.
  33. You have more dive t-shirts than non-diving t-shirts.
  34. You spent more on dive gear last year than you paid in taxes.
  35. Your non-diving friends are no longer in your life.
  36. Your dive gear gets serviced every 6 months to a year, but your saxophone hasn't been in the shop in 6 years (and your name is Scott)
  37. When in an elevator, you hold the door open on a floor between 10 and 15 for a safety stop.
  38. Your dive computer costs more than your home computer.
  39. House repairs usually involve a D-ring, locking clip, and at least one bowline knot.
  40. Your bath tub is filled with Dive fins, a drysuit, three different masks, and a rubber ducky.
  41. You're justifying a $1700 computer because, after all, you've already spent MORE than $1700 on the other four computers you've bought.
  42. You're trying to decide which of the three dry suits to sell.
  43. You're trying to figure out if you should upgrade your canister light because the new ones have banana plugs and only cost about three hundred dollars more than the one you bought did, new.
  44. Next year is already almost completely scheduled out for dive trips. And there are no other trips.
  45. You've already broken almost all the "I'll never"s that you've said about diving, and the ones you haven't broken yet terrify you with their prospects. (Tech 2, or rebreathers, anybody?)
  46. You're excited about buying sexy new undergarments, as long as they're Thinsulate.
  47. Your Christmas want list begins with stage bottle rigging.
  48. The concept of nitrogen deficiency makes SENSE to you.
  49. You wonder if this list would look good on a dive club t-shirt.
  50. You compiled all the reasons listed in this thread into a Word document, which you'll be happy to email to anyone that asks....
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

To steal a line from Mr. Lutovsky:

Clearly you people have an addiction to diving that makes Crack addicts uncomfortable!

Frankly I think you folks need an intervention................... [-X
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote:To steal a line from Mr. Lutovsky:

Clearly you people have an addiction to diving that makes Crack addicts uncomfortable!

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Why do I think he was talking about himself?
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Pot.
Kettle.
Black.
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Story time. Out your friends.

I'll go first.

Grateful Diver is an addict.

I met him in person for the first time this summer. We met on a weekday. To go diving. It was either his 4th or 5th dive of the day.

Bob, I salute you. :salute: You are a shining example of commitment to your addiction.

OK, who's next?

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Airsix is an addict.

Earlier this year he visited Yellowstone National Park and dove in a river. What the heck he was doing running around the inland northwest with his dive gear is a question that can only be answered by a true addict. Judging from the photos, this was no ordinary dive and looked to be quite dangerous.

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... one#p63931

Ben, you need help.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

dsteding is an addict.

When you visit him, you have to thread your way through an entry foyer that is completely STUFFED with tanks. He's only one guy; how many tanks can he need?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Lynne is an addict. You can find this petite 120lbs woman hauling a scooter, doubles, and soon a deco bottle down to the beach, in pouring rain in the dead of winter, to go dive a site, again, that she's dived to so many times she's lost count.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
ppharman
Just Settling In

Post by ppharman »

A group of us were diving in Cozumel and the non-diving spouses remarked that we were all obsessive about diving. We looked at each other and one of the divers remarked "and the problem is".

Nah I am not addicted I can quit anytime I want.

Pat Harman
Will Dive For Food
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Nwbrewer wrote:

Who is this "Luvotorskee" you speak of?

And the line was "Makes a heroine addict uncomfortable"...
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

You might be addicted IF

Your garage is much more equipped than your local dive shop.
Jeff Castor
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Fishstiq wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

Who is this "Luvotorskee" you speak of?

And the line was "Makes a heroine addict uncomfortable"...
Butt out FishFace!! It's my Quote quote so I can quote it anyway I like. Besides, the originator is Polish so he doesn't know what he's talking about.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

rjack is an addict.

His car lives in the driveway. The garage has the boat and the COMPRESSOR!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I'll out myself. I help my wife take travel assignments based on what the diving is like. If there's no diving, we don't go there.

We are addicts and consider "intervention" a four-letter word! :bootyshake:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

babs13 wrote: 17. You feel bad for consuming fish or seafood, because you'd rather see them alive below sea level.
this one doesn't apply to me, I like to eat what I see :evil4:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:Lynne is an addict. You can find this petite 120lbs woman hauling a scooter, doubles, and soon a deco bottle down to the beach, in pouring rain in the dead of winter, to go dive a site, again, that she's dived to so many times she's lost count.
Doug Marcoux is an addict ... how many other people do YOU know who gets a backplate and wing for his kid before he's even born? ... and upgrades to a custom-built rig for his kid's second-week-old birthday? How many people do YOU know who purchase an HID light powerful enough to par-boil a fish simply by shining the light on it ... and then trades up when a more powerful light becomes available?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Sounder wrote:Lynne is an addict. You can find this petite 120lbs woman hauling a scooter, doubles, and soon a deco bottle down to the beach, in pouring rain in the dead of winter, to go dive a site, again, that she's dived to so many times she's lost count.
Doug Marcoux is an addict ... how many other people do YOU know who gets a backplate and wing for his kid before he's even born? ... and upgrades to a custom-built rig for his kid's second-week-old birthday? How many people do YOU know who purchase an HID light powerful enough to par-boil a fish simply by shining the light on it ... and then trades up when a more powerful light becomes available?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Guilty. :dontknow: ... but for the record, Tobin (the DSS Yoda) is an enabler!! HE sent Baby Sounder the custom gear, and to clarify, it was on his one-week birthday, not his two-week birthday.

I'm glad you didn't mention the time Mrs. Sounder caught me in the garage with my head in my rinse bucket trying out a few different pieces of new equipment.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

SockMonkey is an addict. He was out at Cove 2 tonight in weather that made ME wonder if I wanted to go diving, and what did he want to do? SKILLS!
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

Maverick wrote:
babs13 wrote: 17. You feel bad for consuming fish or seafood, because you'd rather see them alive below sea level.
this one doesn't apply to me, I like to eat what I see :evil4:

AWFUL! So carnivore- how many humans have you consumed today...? :evil4: :evil4: ](*,)

Sea life is my friend- until they give a welt or sting. That's the exception- then I'll start eating them and their friends. :fish: Yum...yummy...chomp....

Dern jelly! :evil4: :evil4:
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

OK, 1 more....

You use spit or 'sea drops' to defog your car windshield.......

:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!