Better Than....?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Better Than....?

Post by Fishstiq »

During a surface interval yesterday, an interesting subject was brought up and discussed by my diving cohorts. We all decided the best way to answer the question was to post it up here and see what peoples opinions were. So, as P.G. as possible, here goes..... :dontknow:

Let's say you wake up on a Saturday morning, mildly overcast but no real wind or rain to speak of. All your tanks are full, your gear is all rinsed, dried and ready to go. The smell of a fresh pot of coffee drifts in from the other room, and you know you are a hot shower and a car ride away from the flattest table-top tides in 4 months. You toss back the covers and swing your legs out of bed thinking "Here I come, (insert dive site here)!!!" And then it happens....

Your significant other steps around the corner from the other room, stops in the doorway, and leans against the doorjam with that "come hither" look in their eyes. You know, the look that says this coould be a very, very, VERY good morning.

So, wich would you choose? Tides will go to @*%#* in a little while, and if you don't go now you'll miss them. Then again, if you do go..... we all know the answer to that. Hmmmm.. is diving better than.......?

:fish: :fish: :fish: or \:D/ :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :evil4: :evil4: :smt119 :sign10: :sign10: ... :dontknow:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Re: Better Than....?

Post by Zen Diver »

Well, since there has been no significant other in MY life for many years, I'd have to say that YES, diving is better than the other....

:dontknow:
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

One would have to take a look at the relationship first. How healthy of a sex life do you currently have with your significant other. Do you have healthy sex everyday, 2-3 times a week. Or are you like many of my friends and my sisters you are lucky if you have sex once a month or longer between. And when you do it is being used as a playing card to judge how much you love your significant other, whether male or female. I have more friends who are female and have for many years listened to them talk in detail about relationships and their perceptions. That is why I only married once I believe. If the relationship is the latter, one I would not be in it first of all, if I was in that type of relationship, god forbid, I would go diving.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Multitask.

Forget coffee, or put it in a to-go cup. Combine things with the shower. Take breakfast to go.

Have both.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yep.

(And in Steding's case, it only takes 45 seconds anyway.)
dsteding wrote:Multitask.

Forget coffee, or put it in a to-go cup. Combine things with the shower. Take breakfast to go.

Have both.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

dsteding got it right. The shower is there grasshopper; use it. Commuter mugs are insanely popular for a reason. Breakfast sandwiches were invented for multitasking Americans.

I have no advice on what to do about the speeding ticket though. For those of us who aren't minute men. #-o

You could always find an S.O. who's like the one girl I know from my previous college. She gets that "come hither look" after diving. Maybe it's the increased PPO? :dontknow:

Edit: Your smiley depiction of *$^@ing made me laugh.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Have both.
Joshua Smith wrote:Yep.

And you know this because............?
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Skip the shower... you'll want to take one when you get home anyway. :rr:

Be advised - that "come hither" look on a Saturday morning may be followed by the news that she's going to the mall with her girlfriends while you go hit the flat tides. :crybaby:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

No dilemma.

Tides are predictable, and good ones will come around again.

Come-hither looks may be unpredictable, and if you don't take advantage of them they may never come back.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

My dive buddy is my spouse, so I (we) would get the best of both worlds! :supz: \:D/
Life is good, Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

60south wrote:No dilemma.
Tides are predictable, and good ones will come around again.
Come-hither looks may be unpredictable, ...
BINGO.
In my opinion there is no dilemma. In the words of Denny Crane (paraphrased) "Everything we do is for the girl. Even when the girl isn't there." I can choose when I dive, but I can't choose when I get a come hither look. I love to dive. LOVE it. But being desired by the woman I love? Nothing compares to that. When she shows it there is nothing that could take precedent. Sorry guys, I'll catch you on the next one...

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

My answer is.... Is there actually a question there??????????

If your relationship is like most you would have to be crazy to miss what could be the most awesome morning you have had in a long time. The water ain't going no where and if it took you more than ten seconds to make the "right" decision then I fear your chances of such opportunities in the immediate future are very dim indeed.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Which is going to be more p-oed about being stood up, the SO or the dive buddy? And which one is easier to replace?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

LCF wrote:Which is going to be more p-oed about being stood up, the SO or the dive buddy? And which one is easier to replace?
Spoken like a person well experienced in Triage :laughing3:
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

go diving, if ur good you can create that come hither look again when you get back home \:D/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I say take full advantage of the situation. It's morning, there will be another slack tide later in the afternoon, and if not, Cove 2 is always full of surprises. Another fine piece of reasoning is this, as you get older, you can continue diving. You may not be able to continue to take full advantage of the "Come Hither Look". In fact, as she gets older, and her face changes, you may not even recognize the look. :prayer: Or your tired old eyes don't see it. :crybaby: Or you get the look, go to the bathroom to pee, and forget that you were going to hop back into bed and have some fun. #-o In some cases, you could get the look, but not even remember who it is your getting it from. :dontknow:

So while it may be hard to say if diving is "Better than..." it is advisable to "get it" while you're in your younger years. :naka:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Guess it depends on which kind of diving you prefer ... \:D/

With tides, there's two periods of slack every day.

How often do those "come hither" looks come around? ... and how much slack are you gonna get if you don't "come hither"?

If it was me, I'd be hithering ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

If you already have a shower in the schedule I agree with others in that, utilize the shower! If the shower fun lasts longer than the shower then go later, and let the buddy know that you had some marital obligations to consider and hit the afternoon slack. I would consider that a big no no to not acknowledge the wife in her time of need, that could bite you in the ass!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Like they say: "Hell hath no fury like an unhithered woman."
Grateful Diver wrote:Guess it depends on which kind of diving you prefer ... \:D/

With tides, there's two periods of slack every day.

How often do those "come hither" looks come around? ... and how much slack are you gonna get if you don't "come hither"?

If it was me, I'd be hithering ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Norris wrote:If you already have a shower in the schedule I agree with others in that, utilize the shower! If the shower fun lasts longer than the shower then go later, and let the buddy know that you had some marital obligations to consider and hit the afternoon slack. I would consider that a big no no to not acknowledge the wife in her time of need, that could bite you in the ass!
... in this case, a little ass biting might be appropriate ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Text message dive buddy, then turn phone off. Hit Redondo in the afternoon, if at all.

But then again, I haven't had a come-hither look in quite awhile ](*,) , so that's where my priorities lie right now.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

airsix wrote: BINGO.
In my opinion there is no dilemma. In the words of Denny Crane (paraphrased) "Everything we do is for the girl. Even when the girl isn't there." I can choose when I dive, but I can't choose when I get a come hither look. I love to dive. LOVE it. But being desired by the woman I love? Nothing compares to that. When she shows it there is nothing that could take precedent. Sorry guys, I'll catch you on the next one...

-Ben
Your wife is very lucky! :)

My SO knows how much I love diving, he and does what he can to make it happen, so I can't imagine he'd put me in that spot to begin with. If he did, though, I'd go with the come hither and the diving would just have to wait.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Joshua Smith wrote:Yep.

Have both.
OUCH!!!!
But I hear he has a fantastic SAC Rate!!! :laughing3:
k
"Let's go diving!"
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

This thread had me laughing so hard, I had tears in my eyes...
I never realized the shower was so popular and how many people multi task!
This thread will get my vote for thread of the year in two catagories...educational and entertaining.
Thanks so much...
K
"Let's go diving!"
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I would be all over the "Come hither look", I get more dive oppurtunities than I do the Come hither oppurtunities.
But in a perfect world, I would work at getting both done in the same day. :naka:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: