Elliot Bay Chocolate Milk

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Elliot Bay Chocolate Milk

Post by Sockmonkey »

I think the Duamish needs some immodium AD.

Or maybe someone redirected the Mississippi river into Puget sound last night?

I took these photos this morning from Pier 69 on Elliot Bay right near high tide across the water from Alki. If anyone is headed to cove2 today I would rethink you plans.

From experience can anyone say if this is going to persist through the weekend and if so what about points south?

Thanks!

-Eric
Attachments
chocomilk 006.jpg
chocomilk 004.jpg
chocomilk 002.jpg
chocomilk 001.jpg
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Elliot Bay Chocolate Milk

Post by Sounder »

More than likely you can thank the big rains we had for it. Don't know how long it'll stick around.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Hmmm ... should make this week-end's navigation training dives interesting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Samson

Post by Samson »

Great!.......We are supposed to be doing our final OW dives there this weekend.... This should be interesting......

Samson-
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

This stuff often layers out on the surface, and if you can get under it, the viz may not be horrible. The question always is, just how thick is it?

The Coves have the Duwamish, Les Davis has the Puyallup, Edmonds has some creek just north of it that spews crud. Sites that are away from major inflows are frequently better choices after this much rain. For example, the Alki Pipeline might not be nearly as bad.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Last Sunday the water looked like it does in the pictures. We dove in front of the Seattle Aquarium and the layer of murk was about 10 feet thick. Once we got below it the visibility opened up to about 30 feet and it was surprisingly bright at depth considering the crud overhead. My only disclaimer would be that last Sunday was at the start of the latest rainy period and it has had a week of runoff and flooding so the murk layer might be much deeper like 30 feet or more. For me I am going to let things clear out a bit before I go back in the water. There has been a lot of stuff flowing down the rivers and that stuff always ends up at my favorite dive sites.

Mike