what have you learned this year?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
bigsky
Dive-aholic

what have you learned this year?

Post by bigsky »

what lessons did davy jones teach you this year?

i learned he does not want me on the admiral sampson,
i also learned to keep my reel with me, a secure location on the
upline does not mean actually mean a good location.
i know the difference between right and wrong
wrong is usually the fun one
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: what have you learned this year?

Post by LCF »

I learned that the boat works better with the plug in it.

I learned that, if you run line from open water, it doesn't matter if you end up in the wrong place in the cave, because you can get back out.

I learned I had been doing the frog kick "wrong" for two years (thanks, Richard . . .) and that you can get a whole lot more power out of it than I had been doing.

And I think, with help from a friend, that I have figured out that it's rapid head movements that trigger my midwater disorientation. That's a big deal for me!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I learned to not get complacent or to rush to get into the water. No mater how much experience you have it's still easy to forget something critical and Davey is always lurking, waiting to teach you he is still the one in control. I have had a number of small incidents, each of which experience has allowed me to calmly work thru but all of which could have been much worse. Each time I review them in my head and see where I did something wrong and bless those who taught me that I could remain calm and think through it.

I guess you could say that the one lesson I constantly bring away is that this is not my natural environment and I am only safe here so long as I am constantly vigilant and aware of the dangers that our sport involves.

Ah yes, The one most important one, If the little voice is saying that something is not quite right or your forgetting something,,, LISTEN!!! It is far better to spend a little time going through your check list again or to call a dive when you just don't quite feel good about it then to take a silly risk just to get a dive in.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

LCF wrote:I learned that the boat works better with the plug in it.

I learned that, if you run line from open water, it doesn't matter if you end up in the wrong place in the cave, because you can get back out.

I learned I had been doing the frog kick "wrong" for two years (thanks, Richard . . .) and that you can get a whole lot more power out of it than I had been doing.

And I think, with help from a friend, that I have figured out that it's rapid head movements that trigger my midwater disorientation. That's a big deal for me!
Yes the boat works better with the plug in, it also works way better if you remember to bring in the dive ladder before moving the boat!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I learned a lot of stuff this year- took Trimix and advanced trimix- still learning how to scooter decently- and I learned that the right answer to most questions is "it depends!" :supz:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Drag racers used to have an expression. "There's no replacement for displacement".

This year I've learned 'there's no replacement for fleece' when one becomes cold on dives. :pale:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i learned a LOT in gratefuldiver's AOW class and bdub's Core Components class. way too much to list, but i can say that i now know how much and what i need to keep practicing.

i learned what CO2 loading feels like and how to avoid it.

i've learned who some of my best dive buddies are.

i've learned that i both need and want to keep learning about diving.

there's probably more, but that's it off the top of my head...
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I learned that.......

Although I don't know what I don't know, I will know what I didn't know, just after I learn it.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

laivindil wrote:Drag racers used to have an expression. "There's no replacement for displacement".

This year I've learned 'there's no replacement for fleece' when one becomes cold on dives. :pale:
What about down? :smt064
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

I've learned an awful lot about critter identification and behaviors this year, thanks largely to my awesome REEF friends (Janna Nichols for her tireless efforts to get people involved; David Jennings for asking so many questions; Doug Biffard for just knowing pretty much everything; and of course Jan Kocian for inspiring us all).

I've learned to check, double-check, triple-check my rigging when sending heavy salvage stuff to the surface with a lift bag (or even when I'm just deploying my surface marker for a safety stop - hush Janna!). And I've learned that when my buddy is narc'd badly, he may opt to attach 30lbs of lead to a 35lb lift SMB and that when I then work my way up the line ahead of him it doesn't take much to pull the SMB under the surface, at which point it becomes negative, the lead goes hurtling by and we're left with a bunch of line wrapped around us (I wasn't watching when the SMB was deployed, and assumed the load was attached at the bottom, which would've been a better plan).

Most importantly, I've learned a lot recently about using better judgement to determine whether conditions are safe for a dive rescue mission - it's just not worth it sometimes, especially when the search has switched from rescue to recovery mode. Diving in conditions that are far beyond your capacity to manage the risk factors is a humbling thing and will give you cause for much sombre consideration until you are cured by some good fun diving.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Believe it or not....as much as I love it, I've learned that there are more important things than diving. FAR more important.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

very true, john, very true. i assumed the OP's question was in regard to diving, otherwise the list would be very long indeed...
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

John Rawlings wrote:Believe it or not....as much as I love it, I've learned that there are more important things than diving. FAR more important.

- John
BLASPHEMY!!

I've learned that diving is great for sanity preservation when those more important things turn painful.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

The hardest thing I've learned this year is that enthusiasm alone is not making me a better diver. I can be the most enthusiastic guy on the planet, but enthusiasm + the passing of time alone does nothing to make be a better diver if I'm not getting in the water. I made several mistakes this year that showed me I am not the diver I've dreamed myself up to be. I have no question I have the aptitude, I'm just not getting enough experience at this rate to develop the skills I want. I have to either find a way to dive more often, or readjust my expectations.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Although I don't know what I don't know, I will know what I didn't know, just after I learn it.
This is priceless!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Nwbrewer wrote:What about down? :smt064
'brewer - excuse me Scubagyver is right. Among the many things I've learned over this last year I recently learned that down can indeed be used as a drysuit undergarment layer.

It was an emergency measure though. Fleece is a better material; down is worthless when wet, more expensive and harder to launder. I'd hate to be on a 200fsw tech dive with a deco obligation wearing down undies and spring a leak :pale: :pale: :pale:
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

laivindil wrote:
Yes there is. Weezle.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Well, let's see.... I learned that on at least 2 occasions I was reminded to be humble when diving, as no matter how good you think you are, there will be circumstances that will prove you to be otherwise....I learned that helium is a very very very good thing, especially at 200 feet..... I learned that Weezles are the best thing next to an electric blanket.... I learned that caves are very spiritual places..... I learned that diving blind is so Zen, it's like diving with God surrounding me..... I learned that I still have LOTS to learn and experience in the underwater world.

-Valerie
CaptBligh
Just Settling In

Post by CaptBligh »

Life is precious! You never know when the unexpected will hit you and then the whole game changes. There's too much in life and diving to ever think you know it all. Complacency can sneak up on you and take away all that you've worked for.
Safe Diving to all and to all a good night.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

I've learned that when I know a site really well, I've dove it dozens of times and can navigate around it like my own bedroom, I continue to find surprising things. (Come to think of it, I find surprising things in my bedroom too.)

And I can still get completely lost.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Easy,

I don't dive nearly enough and I have alot to learn!!!
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....