Dive gremlins

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Dive gremlins

Post by Kalatin »

This is not a dive report. It should be a dive report. It should really be about five dive reports, but its not. It is a report of the dive gremlins that have moved into my life. I must have cleaned my gear after midnight or some other scuba no-no, because I can't catch a break.
Last Friday, my dive buddy canceled at the last minute. He got called into work. No worries, there is always tomorrow. Right? Wrong.
Last Saturday Casey and I were planning to dive, but my car refused to start once I got all my gear loaded. Car issues also destroyed my plans to dive Sunday. The ignition cylinder had evidently just worn out and had to be replaced.
Tuesday night, my car was fixed and great buddies waiting for me at Three Tree. I got trapped in traffic for almost 2 hours trying to get to I-5, so no diving that night.
Thursday night, I was too much of a chicken to leave my driveway and canceled my planned dive.
Finally, today the stars appeared to line up. Casey and I headed to Cove 2 and found a bunch of other divers, which made me feel marginally less insane to be getting into the water in the current weather conditions. Three strikes later, Casey and I trudged back to our cars after calling the dive. Max depth - 3 feet. Dive time - approximately 30 seconds. ](*,) ](*,)
This is getting old. 5 dives planned over the last week and every single once canceled. Can someone please let me know the procedure (dance, invocation, ceremony, sacrifice, etc...) that exorcises dive gremlins? I would really like to go diving tomorrow.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive gremlins

Post by Grateful Diver »

Here's the plan ... show up at Redondo tomorrow at 9 AM and I'll help you scare those pesky gremlins away.

I'll be there with Cheng and Valerie ... a foursome would be awesome ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Done! See you there. I am looking forward to the Grateful Diver Gremlin Dance.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Please video it so we can all see!!!
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

So what was the reason your dive at cove 2 didn't work out?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Cove 2 had three minor issues (not including the snow and ice). First, my LP inflator hose turned into a fizzy mess as I was assembling my gear. We swapped it around and figured out that it was the hose, not the inflator itself. Went to the dive shop, swapped out the hose, problem fixed. When we go in the water, Casey's regs decided to freeze up and start free-flowing. We eventually got them in order, but it reduced his available gas and counted (for me) as a strike. Then it was weight check time. Casey had swapped out to an AL80 and was too light. He added more weight, but still no dice. That was it for me - too many things (even small things). We had fries and beer instead and talked about diving. :occasion5: Stupid gremlins.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Kalatin wrote:Cove 2 had three minor issues (not including the snow and ice). First, my LP inflator hose turned into a fizzy mess as I was assembling my gear. We swapped it around and figured out that it was the hose, not the inflator itself. Went to the dive shop, swapped out the hose, problem fixed. When we go in the water, Casey's regs decided to freeze up and start free-flowing. We eventually got them in order, but it reduced his available gas and counted (for me) as a strike. Then it was weight check time. Casey had swapped out to an AL80 and was too light. He added more weight, but still no dice. That was it for me - too many things (even small things). We had fries and beer instead and talked about diving. :occasion5: Stupid gremlins.
Probably a good choice. Sometimes the force is telling you to pack it in. I have found it is best to listen. It's not good to plow ahead when everything is saying no.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

My guess is that you have somehow offended the scuba gods.

Did you, perhaps, dive with your long hose UNDER your light cord? Or use rechargeable batteries in your backup light? Or . . . gasp . . . dive AIR?

I believe a penance of three S-drills and a mask remove and replace should put you back into a state of grace . . . :-)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

LCF wrote:My guess is that you have somehow offended the scuba gods.

Did you, perhaps, dive with your long hose UNDER your light cord? Or use rechargeable batteries in your backup light? Or . . . gasp . . . dive AIR?

I believe a penance of three S-drills and a mask remove and replace should put you back into a state of grace . . . :-)
<writing down for future reference>

At what depth does the remove and replace need to happen for my records?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Any depth, so long as the water temperature is below 50 degrees . . .

Kate's gremlins are still active; I bailed on her tonight, deciding that being a bad dive buddy was preferable to a hip fracture. Is this slippery crud that's all over everything EVER going to go away?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

If Lynne hadn't canceled first, I would have been all over canceling our planned foray to Cove 2. An icy walk in scuba gear at night just did not seem to be a very good idea. I am clumsy enough as it is. I don't think this one as gremlins - just Lynne being the voice of reason.
The dive gremlins are still with me, just to a slightly lesser degree than last week. I did get one dive in over the weekend, although I had planned two. On the surface swim out for the first dive, my first stage started to bubble away and I swam back and spent the next hour swearing at the gremlins. As it turns out, a stop-gap measure until all gremlins are truly exorcised is to dive with Grateful Diver (aka Human Dive Locker). He truly does have everything in his Element and saved my second dive. Zen Diver's karma cleaning exercise also works as a temporary measure, although it didn't stop the drysuit leak. :pale: Seriously, I can't catch a break lately. ](*,) Hopefully I will get a gremlin-free 2009 as a Christmas present. Next up - S drills and mask remove and replace (just to cover all my bases). Thanks again to Bob, Cheng, and Valerie for helping with the gremlin infestation.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I left my gear in the car all day before a dive last week, and when we got to the site in Mukilteo thew temp was 28 deg. So of course while testing reg, it free-flowed, and when we got in the water, the dry suit valve leaked all down my arm. The regulator settled down when it warmed up in the water, and the octopus was fine, so we had a dive to 100' - but the viz absolutely stunk, 10' most the dive, and the water temp was a balmy 35 deg for the first 20'.

short story - keep your dive gear warm, it will work better. Cold diving has it's own problems, and most of us are not used to it.

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

well i'm not sure if it was gremlins or not, sounds more like the dive gods got angry. #-o
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!