What's the best south sound night dive spot?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

What's the best south sound night dive spot?

Post by mz53480 »

Hi all,

Looking to do an easy (shore) night dive in the south sound area.......your thoughts?
Thanks!

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: What's the best south sound night dive spot?

Post by Pez7378 »

I would say, Redondo. Although there could be something better, Redondo offers the following amenities:

Easily accessible from I-5
Lighted Parking (although you do have to pay)
Easy Entry and Exit
Mild to moderate currents (with the occasional rogue thigh blaster)
Critters GALORE! Plenty of Octos, Sailfin sculpins, PSL's etc.
Easy to navigate terrain with Rope trails
Depths down to about 90fsw
Structure (Boats, Bottles, VW, RockWall, etc.)

Toss in a good buddy, and the cover of darkness and VIOLA! One of the best night dives around.

What more could you ask for?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Redondo ... hands down ... for all the reasons listed above.

It's a good day dive, but the night life is spectacular.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Pez7378 wrote:I would say, Redondo. Although there could be something better, Redondo offers the following amenities:

Easy Entry and Exit

Toss in a good buddy, and the cover of darkness and VIOLA! One of the best night dives around.

Also in the summer months you can find gear rinsing showers and public bathrooms for changing that life way easy. There's a hose in the parking lot too if you're so inclined.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think Redondo is a fantastic night dive, but what does the OP mean by "South Sound"? If he's in Tacoma, it's a bit of a drive . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Pez7378 wrote:I would say, Redondo. Although there could be something better, Redondo offers the following amenities:

Easy Entry and Exit

Hm, in this region I've only done a night dive at Cove 2 and across from the Yellow House in Hood Canal. I think a night dive at Redondo is in order fairly soon...
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

rjarnold wrote: Hm, in this region I've only done a night dive at Cove 2 and across from the Yellow House in Hood Canal. I think a night dive at Redondo is in order fairly soon...
... and be sure to let me know if you want a local guide to show you where all the cool stuff is located ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Grateful Diver wrote:
rjarnold wrote: Hm, in this region I've only done a night dive at Cove 2 and across from the Yellow House in Hood Canal. I think a night dive at Redondo is in order fairly soon...
... and be sure to let me know if you want a local guide to show you where all the cool stuff is located ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounds great! As soon as Greg gets his salvo light fixed I'll let you know and we'll set a date.
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Gotta Vote for Three Tree North.

I wouldn't dispute anything said about Redondo, and it is definitely an awesome dive, but I'd also consider TTN.

TTN has simple entry, and a LARGE area to dive if you know the site. You can run into all kinds of life there - you never know what you are going to find at night. Plus, Three Tree North doesn't have the weird "rogue" down current that seems to be a regular occurence there as of late.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Yep, 3 Tree is good, but I think for a night dive I'd still go for Redondo as well, and for all the previous reasons.

-Valerie
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Redondo...for all the reasons above and because I would be concerned about the neighbors at 3 Tree...
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

From Olympia, Redondo is a bit of a long drive late in the evening. Especially when I-5 traffic is ugly.

Depending on how far south one is starting from, Les Davis can't be totally excluded from the south sound list. Vis is probably its biggest potental drawback, but it does have stairs in and out of the water. Lighted parking area, restrooms and a chance for decent vis depending on river discharge and other factors. Structure. Mud flats below. Red brotulas, starry flounder, and other fun surprises.

If best is used in a general sense, counting amenities as well as actual diving experience.

A night dive at Day Island is another great south sound night dive spot. You just need to be quiet and respect the fact that you are parked in a residential neighborhood so should act like a good neighbor. I have seen as many as 10 octos out and feeding on the wall at Day Island during a night dive. Awesome! And a lot of good diversity. IT IS CURRENT SENSITIVE.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

For me it is hard to decide between Redondo and Three Tree N. For the average diver, I would agree 100%, Redondo!
For someone who knows Three Tree? It is a "must do" night dive! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Although Redondo can get unexplained currents, they're infrequent. And FWIW - what we experienced on Sunday wasn't a downcurrent ... it was a rip current running north along the shore in the shallows ... below the pilings it was non-existant.

TTN is definitely a great night dive site ... some of the most amazing night dives I've ever had were there, most recently the ratfish scooter adventure with Sounder. But it'd be less than convenient for someone coming from south of Tacoma.

Les Davis can be a very nice night dive ... but I've learned to avoid it at night due to the fact that the parking lot has become a hangout for Tacoma gang-bangers. For safety reasons I prefer to stay away from places where youth gangs hang out ... too many of them are armed and stupid.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Grateful Diver wrote: Les Davis can be a very nice night dive ... but I've learned to avoid it at night due to the fact that the parking lot has become a hangout for Tacoma gang-bangers. For safety reasons I prefer to stay away from places where youth gangs hang out ... too many of them are armed and stupid.
.. Bob (Grateful Diver)
Good observation Bob, It's Sad but True!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

BASSMAN wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote: Les Davis can be a very nice night dive ... but I've learned to avoid it at night due to the fact that the parking lot has become a hangout for Tacoma gang-bangers. For safety reasons I prefer to stay away from places where youth gangs hang out ... too many of them are armed and stupid.
.. Bob (Grateful Diver)
Good observation Bob, It's Sad but True!
Unfortunately so ... a fellow was beaten to death in that parking lot last year. Five punks between 16 and 21 years old were arrested and convicted of killing him. The motive was robbery ... they didn't even know the dude.

I no longer go there after dark.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Wow, thanks for the heads up on LD. I had not heard that. I have seen the evening crowds, but so far have been left alone. No sense tempting fate however, much rather live to dive another day!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Biodiversity_Guy wrote:Wow, thanks for the heads up on LD. I had not heard that. I have seen the evening crowds, but so far have been left alone. No sense tempting fate however, much rather live to dive another day!
I've never had any problems at night there other than having to answer the typical questions about diving while gearing up.
I also know that I've never had anything stolen at Les Davis.......More than I can say about Redondo.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY