C-C-C-Cold!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
60south
Pelagic

C-C-C-Cold!

Post by 60south »

Today we saw a water temp of 43F at Point Hudson (Port Townsend). It was actually nice in the water, a very relaxing dive -- but the cold air and high winds made suiting-up and the exit extremely cold. Brrrr!

What are the water temperatures looking like elsewhere in Puget Sound?

glenn
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: C-C-C-Cold!

Post by Penopolypants »

Redondo and TTN were clocking in at 45 degrees today. Between the breeze and the surface temps it was indeed a chilly day to be out and about in the Sound!

Fortunately we had some of Spatman's Patented Don't-Shiver-Me-Timbers Chicken Soup to warm us up during the surface interval!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

What I wouldn't give for those numbers. Put a minus in front and you'll have temps here. Depending on exactly where you are in our area it is between -40 and -60 with Ice Fog so thick I can only see one house down the street. Had to be out today and in some places the ice fog brought zero visibility. Add to this we have a Hazardous Air Warning meaning the particulate level is high enough it is dangerous for all people.

What is depressing is that we have been colder than -30 for a week and the forecast is for -35 to -60 for the next week.

Added: A high spot for the day were the three moose(meese?) in my yard. They came in to nibble on my trees.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Sweet! You must be inland to see those temperatures (Fairbanks?) -- or else far to the north, with the ocean freezing up.

I think I'd skip the drysuit and go straight to a hot-water suit. And chainsaws. Could be a lot of fun. :-)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It was 45 on the surface at Cove 2 on Friday, and 48 at depth. There was a pretty pronounced halocline, too!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

60south wrote:Sweet! You must be inland to see those temperatures (Fairbanks?) -- or else far to the north, with the ocean freezing up.

I think I'd skip the drysuit and go straight to a hot-water suit. And chainsaws. Could be a lot of fun. :-)
I'm skipping it all and leaving for Hawaii on Sunday. In preparation I took my new fins to the pool. Still waiting for the replacement for the Zeagle dive compuer. I've been promised it will be here by the 7th so I can finish with the dive gear.

Since I took off nearly 30# this summer nothing fits. I'm scared to think I might have to replace my dry suit before I go to Vancouver Island in May. Hot water suit sounds great if I could figure a way to get the hot water :)
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Clogged Pipe

Post by ArcticDiver »

Clogged pipe didn't show the first post. Don't know how to Delete.
Last edited by ArcticDiver on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.