Worst month ever

General banter about diving and why we love it.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Re: Worst month ever

Post by DiverDown »

Pez7378 wrote:
airsix wrote:
LCF wrote:Okay. I got certified three years ago...
I'm still hung up on the fact that you've only been diving 3 years. I'm still reaching for that personal goal of being as good as you were at your 1.5 year mark!

-Ben
Are you an amateur, or a professional?

Amateurs train, until they get it right. Professionals train, until they can't get it wrong.

Lynne is a professional.

Get out and dive, with any luck, you'll be half as good as Lynne was three years ago! :smt064
Are you serious Pez? Do you really think that's true? If you ever become a professional diver don't dive with me. I'M sure you've read the reports online of divers that have died. Ive been diving for over 4 years with 1000 plus dives, and I learn something EVERY time I dive! Besides panic, complacency usually kills the ones that know everything. :salute:
Who run barter town?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

DiverDown wrote:Are you serious Pez?
Huh? About Lynne being a good diver, yes.

About not learning or whatever you thought he said? uh... no.

Unless you're not serious. :dontknow: Which is quite possible.

Man, I'm either getting old or senile or nitrogen deprived (haven't been in the water for 10 days) or something... I just don't get it sometimes... #-o
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Meet me at Redondo at 4pm, Tom. :smt064
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

cardiver wrote:Meet me at Redondo at 4pm, Tom. :smt064
Boy, I'd love to Ron - just way too much to do... :violent1:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

DiverDown wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:

Amateurs train, until they get it right. Professionals train, until they can't get it wrong.

Lynne is a professional.

Get out and dive, with any luck, you'll be half as good as Lynne was three years ago! :smt064

Are you serious Pez? Do you really think that's true? If you ever become a professional diver don't dive with me. I'M sure you've read the reports online of divers that have died. Ive been diving for over 4 years with 1000 plus dives, and I learn something EVERY time I dive! Besides panic, complacency usually kills the ones that know everything. :salute:
Okay, maybe not the best quote for this application. It really has nothing to do with becoming a Professional diver. That's a totally different skill set. Experience however does go a long way towards making us better divers, would you agree?

My interpretation is that some people train until they get something right, then they quit working on that particular skill because they've done it. Others on the other hand, will not only get it right, but will continue to work on that skill until it is so natural to them, that they can't get it wrong.

It was a round about way of saying that Lynne puts in a lot of work, to dive the way she dives, and she will continue to put in work to either improve upon her skill, or to learn new skills. I hope that makes sense. :occasion5:
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Pez7378 wrote:
DiverDown wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:

Lynne is a professional.

Okay, maybe not the best quote for this application. It really has nothing to do with becoming a Professional diver. That's a totally different skill set. Experience however does go a long way towards making us better divers, would you agree?

My interpretation is that some people train until they get something right, then they quit working on that particular skill because they've done it. Others on the other hand, will not only get it right, but will continue to work on that skill until it is so natural to them, that they can't get it wrong.

It was a round about way of saying that Lynne puts in a lot of work, to dive the way she dives, and she will continue to put in work to either improve upon her skill, or to learn new skills. I hope that makes sense. :occasion5:

the quote makes perfect sense to me, I think the message is being misnterpreted. To be a great free throw shooter you don't shoot till you make one, you have to keep shooting, keep training until you no longer miss them. Fact is nobody will ever be that good and so the oither message is that we are always learning, we always have room to improve.

I am a fresh, baby faced diver, but this is not the first serious skill that I have taken to in my life. Firearms is one that compares, you can't just practice until you can pick up a weapon and hit the target, you have to keep going until you never miss. That takes a constant commitment to improving your skills, not everyone has that sort of dedication. Those that are that dedicated easily separate themselves from the rest.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

BigFameOne wrote: I am a fresh, baby faced diver, but this is not the first serious skill that I have taken to in my life. Firearms is one that compares, you can't just practice until you can pick up a weapon and hit the target, you have to keep going until you never miss. That takes a constant commitment to improving your skills, not everyone has that sort of dedication. Those that are that dedicated easily separate themselves from the rest.
Remind me never to piss you off. Image

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Sockmonkey wrote:
BigFameOne wrote: I am a fresh, baby faced diver, but this is not the first serious skill that I have taken to in my life. Firearms is one that compares, you can't just practice until you can pick up a weapon and hit the target, you have to keep going until you never miss. That takes a constant commitment to improving your skills, not everyone has that sort of dedication. Those that are that dedicated easily separate themselves from the rest.
Remind me never to piss you off. Image

-Eric
I'm a cupcake Eric, plus I already like you dude. :smt051
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Jake (Big Fame) and I have several things in common. :partyman: Diving, shooting, beer, taste of music, and spending WAY too much time TALKING about the things we love most.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Sounder wrote:Jake (Big Fame) and I have several things in common. :partyman: Diving, shooting, beer, taste of music, and spending WAY too much time TALKING about the things we love most.
Doug, You had me at hello. :bootyshake:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Look Pez, Im not trying to start a pissfest or something. Sorry if I offended anyone. I was trying to point out that once you get to comfortable things happen. It dosent matter how much training youve had or what agency your affiliated with. YOU can never anticipate everything. You can certainly train for most cenarios, but realistically its impossible.

Ive known divers that have trained and taught including me. Some arent around anymore, why? maby they might have thought they knew enough not to worry about it anymore! :dontknow: I hope that explains my point! :occasion5:
Who run barter town?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I believe you can practice until you're perfectly proficient... but you have to KEEP practicing to keep that edge.

Speaking of which - Lynne, are we still on for our training dive next week? :partyman:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yeah, you just have to tell me when! Can Kirk join us?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:Yeah, you just have to tell me when! Can Kirk join us?
Ah geez, I GUESS I would MANAGE to to have him along.

Are you kidding? Kirk rocks!! :supz:

He'll probably be quite entertained with my "valve kinda-drill" too, though we've made adjustments and things should be looking better and better. It's always good to get feedback from a diverse group of respected folks too and I'd definitely appreciate his thoughts after seeing me do it.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

DiverDown wrote:Look Pez, Im not trying to start a pissfest or something. Sorry if I offended anyone. I was trying to point out that once you get to comfortable things happen. It dosent matter how much training youve had or what agency your affiliated with. YOU can never anticipate everything. You can certainly train for most cenarios, but realistically its impossible.

Ive known divers that have trained and taught including me. Some arent around anymore, why? maby they might have thought they knew enough not to worry about it anymore! :dontknow: I hope that explains my point! :occasion5:
I understand it (your point) completely. I'm not sure what would cause you to think we were engaging in a "pissfest". No offense taken and nothing to be sorry about. None. Complacency is a very dangerous thing in more venues than just diving. I've been teaching that to my students at work for over a decade.

Really, the point of my post was to compliment Lynne on her hard work. Although I have never been in the water with her, I know she is a good diver, and she had to work at it. There are so many of us that want to be "good" divers, yet are unwilling or unable to put in the time.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

BigFameOne wrote: the quote makes perfect sense to me, I think the message is being misnterpreted. To be a great free throw shooter you don't shoot till you make one, you have to keep shooting, keep training until you no longer miss them. Fact is nobody will ever be that good and so the oither message is that we are always learning, we always have room to improve.
That's a great analogy. Back when I lived in Massachusetts I was a huge fan of the Boston Celtics. Having worked at Boston Garden for a time, I spent a lot of free time hanging around over there. One thing that impressed me was that Larry Bird ... who always led the team in FT percentage, and often was among the top five FT shooters in the league ... would routinely show up two hours or more before a game and shoot hundreds of free throws as part of his warm-up routine. Dude was one of the greatest players of all-time, and yet here he was day in and day out spending more time practicing his skills than anybody else on the team.

I think it's that way with most things ... if you want to be on top of your game, you have to put in the time and effort not just getting there, but staying there.

And yeah ... Lynne puts more effort into improving her skills than just about any diver I've ever known.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Lynne puts more effort into improving her skills than just about any diver I've ever known.
It's 'cuz I have to. Can you imagine how bad I'd be if I DIDN'T work at it? Oh, that's right . . . Bob CAN, because he "knew me when"!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames