NW Dive Club Winter Hood Canal trip, Dec 8-10

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Okay Gang the chilli is STEWING!!!!!

I have never made a batch this big, it is tough, I think its still AWSOME though. I made 8 gallons, that is a butt load of chilli, Sould be good for dry suit inflation
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Maverick wrote:Okay Gang the chilli is STEWING!!!!!

I have never made a batch this big, it is tough, I think its still AWSOME though. I made 8 gallons, that is a butt load of chilli, Sould be good for dry suit inflation

H O L Y C R A P ! ! ! ! 8 GALLONS?

I thought you dry suit guys liked to use Argon to inflate your suit
so tell me does Methane keep you warmer or just make you smell funny?
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Who wants to unzip MY dry suit for me after a couple dives?! :vom:

Assman :bootyshake: - be sure to bring your laser pointer! I want to see you get jumped by the dogfish!!! Then it'll be my turn! #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Trailer is packed, truck is fueled up! I've got 1500 cu' of gas at high pressure in the bed of the truck too!!! Whooo Hoooo! Hood Canal or Bust! \:D/ We're leaving at 3:30pm from Seattle and will be in a white F-350 Crew Cab towing a white trailer with stripes. We're in one of the water-front RV hook-up's.

Has anyone called to remind them about the oyster BBQing? They asked us to remind them... Sparky, you on it? Otherwise I'll check with them when we arrive tomorrow evening! \:D/
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Sounder im all over that for you BRO
dont worry

I am driving my sons Green Suzuli Side kick because im haveing problems with the Dodge Ram and the wifes Cavalier is just to dam small for all the dive gear

i should be there pretty early in the morning
so you guys can watch for m ollie at EL Dive Cassia I hope to be in the water by noon at the latest

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Alrighty, I've clocked off for the last time before our trip. I'm getting stoked as heck! :supz:
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

The Costco size vat of oil is 35 lbs/4.43g. I don't think three gallons are enough. I think that is the size I bought the first time, which wasn't enough by about a gallon or so. I recommend buying the Costco size.

I would like to get two dives in Friday. However, won't be leaving until probably 1, 2 latest.

See you in a bit.

'01, Black/silver 4/Runner, with brushguard.

Rich
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Is this the longest thread ever on NWDC?!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Looks like we're dialed in for a 3:30pm departure... too bad Mrs. Sounder had to work today or we'd already be on the road. \:D/
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Sounder, did you ever figure out your argon issues? Are you two using it? What did you end up getting?
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

Well, I think the cold I picked up is getting the better of me for now. So, I'm going to come up for the weekend, but I'm not going to dive. #-o I could probably get by using sudafed or something, but i'd rather not chance it. [-X

Maverick, I'll get the drinks like you suggested. I think nicediver decided he was going to get diet drinks, so I'll get regular varieties.

Nick
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Rich - I haven't yet made the decision. The one rig I was interested in had to be filled from a yoke-valved tank. I didn't want to a) turn one of my HP tanks into an Ar supply tank and b) wasn't planning on buying a supply tank.

I'm torn between filling at the shops when I get my breathing gas filled (I have to get breathing gas, might as well get Ar too) and trans-filling from a supply tank at home and getting it filled from time to time. I'm leaning toward the shop route, but then again when going to places like HC and Neah Bay, it'd be nice to refill my Ar from a supply tank if that's my suit-gas. Then again, how often do I do that?

Jury is still out and so far we haven't been cold when filling our suits with back gas. It is just a matter of finding the right one I suppose... I was kind of disappointed when I found out that the one I wanted had to be filled from a k-valve tank.

I just wish I could out-argue Mrs. Sounder (the voice of reason) when it comes to buying EVERY POSSIBLE piece of dive gear a boy could want. I should know better - I'm out of my league if I try to argue with you attorney-types! :bootyshake:
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

mav and i are leaving now!! we are meeting calvin and doug at BUWS and heading out!! see you all there!!!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

You guys and gals have one heck of a great time. Wish I could come up but have a bunch of Christmas things I could not get out of. Anyway, my Zodiac is all torn up getting new upholestry would not be able to do it. I will see you all again in the spring for the "Spring Fling".

Merry Christmas
Charles
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

After a family cancer surgery (looks like they got it all) I thought I'd sorta side shuffle off to the Canal for a couple days. However, the family members I was counting on to pass the torch to dropped the ball.

The truck's loaded, my cold is manageable and I'm prepared to bail ASAP so hopefully I'll see you tonight or tomorrow.

If anyone is WIFI reading this look for Pig, my '82 4x4 Ford with white canopy top and Tommy Chong on the back window. Don't be shy, say hello.

Hope you have a great time and stay safe!

'Quatch
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great Trip! :supz: Thanks to Sparky, Mav, and all the others who made it happen.

Bassman and myself had to come back Saturday due to Christmas dinner plans, but got in 4 nice dives, met some great new folks, and renewed friendships with others. Great to see you all! :partyman:

Viz was 25 - 40 ft. The high viz was Friday early, then rain and some rototiller divers made it drop some, but it was really great. The Hood seems MUCH healthier, although I know we lost some life during the low oxygen levels.

Managed to avoid the few Lion's Mane jellies we saw! =D>

BTW, in case anybody checks this board before the end of the weekend, I left a big round, red tub (about 2x2) at the Dive Casa. If Sounder or one of the North (non-Oregon!) divers could take it back with them so I could hook up with you all later that woudl be much appreciated! :prayer:

THanks and lets do another club dive!

Tom Nic
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Whoo Hooo! :supz: :wav:

All I can say is, "whoever missed this one, missed a Great Time!"

This was a Great Trip! \:D/

I enjoyed meeting and diving with some new faces and the Chilli was GREAT! {Absolutly the biggest Pot O' Chilli I have ever seen :smt119 !"}Good job Maverick! =D>

I spoke with Sparky today, (I'm back at work ](*,) )

He got the Tub to Sounder and I asked him to deliver the Diet Coke & Mentos to Sounder {Go for it Doug! or we will try it at some other dive site)

Sounds like the Fried Turky was a success! =D>

Sorry I had to miss that, the good news is that there was some fried turky at the dinner Tom-nic and I had to go to. "Yum!"

Sparky , Thanks for your organizing skills,and to everyone else who helped make this a good weekend, even if I did have to cut it short.

I wonder if the next one will be there (HoodsPort) or if we will try somewhere else.{Start a new Thread}

Lets aim for July again!
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

Oooooh! I had a great time, and now I have all those good aches--you know, the kind you get from a healthy workout.

The visibility was AMAZING today. Rich and I had 25+ (I saw him clearly as he headed off into the oblivion at 76fsw) at the South wall and only had to share it with the big, mean looking lingcod.

It was great meeting everyone this weekend. Putting a face to a bizarre avatar is always a positive step. Hmmm... I wonder if Mav, Calvin, Cuppie and Nice Diver will have hungover avatars today? :partyman:

Thank you, Sparky and Molly, for all of your hard work! I am already looking forward to the next one!

Delaina, Ryan and Teela
RSdancey
Avid Diver

Post by RSdancey »

Trip was great - thanks to everyone who made it happen. I really appreciate the fact that people put time & effort into this just to make a fun outing for all who participated.

The diving was fantastic - best vis I've ever seen at Hood Canal. Unfortunately, I think that's partially due to the tunicates, which really have colonized Sund Rock. Here's hoping that long term the problem is manageable.

We saw lots of big jellies, many large fishies, a half-dozen wolf-eels, but no octos! (None at Octo hole either!) Life seemed healthy, with no signs of fish die offs, and we found micro and macro life at all depths from 5fsw to 80fsw.

Thanks to Hoodsport & Dive for facilitating access to Sund Rock, and to Mr. Sund for not going completely postal when we (accidentally) blocked access to the entry/exit point briefly on Saturday morning.

A side note: Mike's Dive store filled Rich's doubles (with air) in less than 15 minutes from the time we pulled up at the shop -- a great option when you run low on gas and the line at Hoodsport & Dive is lengthy!

Ryan
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

4 1/2 hours later and I am back home in the middle of Oregon. I had a great time and met alot of great people and can't wait to see everyone again soon.

Great diving and I seen my first wolf eel...sooo cool.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Mollie and I had a grate time .

Thanks to every one that made it out and for them that did't make it dont
freet we took care of your share of the food I think I can drop about 10 pounds of led because I must have put atleast that much on

I have to thank Keith and Rich for all the help with the T Bird I would not have even atemted it without your help I was clueless

on a Side note

Ron at Hoodsport-N-Dive was so nice to us the last couple times we were there as a group

I thought it would be nice to say thank you to him in some way
So I gave him one of our club shirts and told him it was from the hole club

he was so tickled and he said for me to let you all know how much it ment to him

Speaking of which
Calvin shoot me a pm with the Info please I will need a nother Black XL
Shirt for my self

And the best part of the weekend was when my Wife said she would llike to learn to dive if I would buy her a Dry Suit :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :wav: :smt038 :smt035 :smt119 =D> \:D/

hows that for a grate weekend
I had been trying to get he intrested in diving for 5 years it only took you guys 6 months

two trips to the hood Canal with you guys and she is hooked

I love you guys you rock

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Did any critter counting go on, and where are some pics???
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Cuppie Calvin and I all counted critters but no one else that I know of did.

I had a good time, sure was nice to meet people. the one thing that was totally great was the vis. and of course it was cool for cuppie and I never to have to fill air because we have so many darn tanks. I am kind of a tank gooru. I love my air. I slung my AL40 stage bottle for the first time it was great. talk about piece of mind.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

We also had a great time and enjoy meeting new friends and catching up with old ones. The highlight of our dives was dropping only to have a large wolf eel swim up to us, completely in the open, as if to greet us and say "welcome to my home," then swimming parallel with us for a while.

Thank you to everyone for coming and making this a great trip. HOpefully next year Molly will be diving too! \:D/

Sparky - next time you talk to Ron, you should have him register here and join our POD. He 90% of the way there already having the shirt!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

"Go Molly, Go Molly, Go Molly, Go!" :bootyshake: :wav: :bootyshake: =D> :supz: :smt038

Congrats Sparky!

Cool WOLF EEL experience Sounder! :supz:

Congrats. to Nice Diver, on seeing your first WOLF EEL too! =D>

"Now you should plan on coming to Tacoma to dive Day Island Wall with us!" Key word is "PLAN" :book: {Wolf eel city}