Continous Web or Shoulder clips?

General topics about technical diving.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Continous Web or Shoulder clips?

Post by dsteding »

Peter Guy wrote:Just finished a class with an instructor who does a lot of dives off the N. Cal coast (and lots of other places) where he is working with boats in swells and recreational divers. He complained about the continuous webbing for OW divers especially where there were swells/waves. He said he wanted at least one side to be able to be loosened so that it made doffing the gear in heavy swells/waves (did I mention he was referring to heavy weather?) much easier. I must say I think he has a valid point FOR DIVING UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS.

Another way I've heard about is to use two D-Rings on one side for a positive lock but easy removal -- and the D-Rings can be used as, uh, D-Rings for clipping off a reg or spare bolt-snap. IF I was diving in heavier conditions than I do, I would seriously consider modifying my gear to this.
Is this the same instructor that doesn't believe in teaching gas management to new divers?

Honestly if a diver can't get out of his rig, even in heavy swells/waves, maybe they shouldn't be diving that rig or in those conditions?
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.