Scaley head sculpin?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
aviddiver.her
Frequent Bubbler

Scaley head sculpin?

Post by aviddiver.her »

After reading Janna's post http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8436 regarding the ID of a Coralline vs Scaley head Sculpin I thought I'd make this post.

Last month I was diving Wharf II in Monterey CA. On the concrete wall I found a relatively large fish with large cirri on it's head hanging out upside down in a hole. I got a lot of bad photos trying to get a goood compositon with an upside down fish in a hole. It stayed in the hole so I assumed it was some sort of Fringehead. From ID photos it looked so much like a Onespot fingehead to me but I couldn't find it's "one spot" in any photos. I asked around and a very knowledgeable bay area diver suggested it is likely a rather large male Scaleyhead sculpin. After looking at photos in Paul Humann's ID book I think he may be correct. And the explanation for why it was hanging out in a whole rather than fliting about? Eggs! When I returned later in the dive the fish was right side up in the hole and kept hunkering down toward the bottom of the hole (where the eggs were). Unfortunately the eggs only show in two images and neither has a good image of the fish #-o . I've oriented each image so the fish is in the position I found it in relative to the top/bottom.
So, what do you all think? Is this a male Scaleyhead?
Attachments
This image isn't great for it's identifying marks but it is my favorite and does show the size of the fish compared to the Club-tipped anemone.
This image isn't great for it's identifying marks but it is my favorite and does show the size of the fish compared to the Club-tipped anemone.
The other side of the fish with more features showing.
The other side of the fish with more features showing.
Here I think you can see scales on the top of it's head. Also, note the size of the fish relative to the Club-tipped anemone.
Here I think you can see scales on the top of it's head. Also, note the size of the fish relative to the Club-tipped anemone.
In this photo you can see scales along the lateral line.
In this photo you can see scales along the lateral line.
N2009.05.16-176.1.jpg
Gooch
Submariner

Re: Scaley head sculpin?

Post by Gooch »

Great shots! I like the eye in the first picture....
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Great shots! Yes it is a classic fully mature male scaly head. The two large cirri over the eyes and the orange gills as well as the candy stripe eyes are positive ID factors. The two extra cirri behind the eyes as well as the large ones in front of the eyes are signs of maturity and desirability to lady scaly heads. Hence the eggs!
Last edited by Dusty2 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I agree with Dusty - very mature male Scalyhead Sculpin. Your 2nd shot down from the top shows the orange gills, and the two gigantor cirri coming out of the FRONT of the eyes is very male scalyhead. Note this one is old - and he's got the botox lips to show for it too.

Great closeup shots. Here's a not-so-crisp one I took years ago of one in a Giant Barnacle shell.
Male Scalyhead Sculpin - Point Whitney, Hood Canal, WA
Male Scalyhead Sculpin - Point Whitney, Hood Canal, WA
Dusty, that's really interesting about the 2nd set of cirri behind the eyes! Good info - learn something new every day.

Bring on more sculpins! :) Got any Corallines that you've shot from the side view?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
aviddiver.her
Frequent Bubbler

Post by aviddiver.her »

Great, another fish photo with a positive ID. :partydance: Thanks again!
Bring on more sculpins! :) Got any Corallines that you've shot from the side view?
Janna, I have a handful of sculpin photos I attached names to in 2005. Some may have incorrect names and some of which may or may not be corallines. I'll post them here, you tell me which are corallines then I'll check any other images I have of them and see if I've got side views.
Attachments
Is this a Coralline?  What about those bright bands/spots on it's dorsal fin?  Taken at Point Lobos.
Is this a Coralline? What about those bright bands/spots on it's dorsal fin? Taken at Point Lobos.
Labeled this as a Scaleyhead but now I'm thinking it may be a Coralline? Taken in the Channel Islands.
Labeled this as a Scaleyhead but now I'm thinking it may be a Coralline? Taken in the Channel Islands.
I called this a Scaleyhead but I'm not so sure about that now. Taken at Point Lobos.
I called this a Scaleyhead but I'm not so sure about that now. Taken at Point Lobos.
I think this is likely a Snubnose. Taken in the Northern Channel Islands.
I think this is likely a Snubnose. Taken in the Northern Channel Islands.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hey Nancy!

Here's what I think:
Top one is a Coralline. Colors and patterns vary widely, so you can't really go off that. The head shape and lips sure look like a Coralline, and all the other clues point to it as well.

I think the 2nd one is a Coralline as well - because of the head shape, and lack of cirri on the head.

The one you thought might be a Scalyhead, doesn't have any cirri on its head, and I don't see orange gills (you usually see a hint of orange from that angle). So I think that's a Coralline as well.

And the last one, I agree, is a Snubnose.

My 2 psi! Thanks for posting these!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
aviddiver.her
Frequent Bubbler

Post by aviddiver.her »

Okay, thanks. I'll look and see if I have any side shots of those. I assume you are looking for something that show the orange patch in the smooth area below the lateral line?
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Interesting pix and thread here, thanks for the tips!

Valerie
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Yeah, although I don't think the orange patch is always present - but I'd like to look at the scales above the lateral line and other features too - if you have any side shots. That would be great!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
aviddiver.her
Frequent Bubbler

Post by aviddiver.her »

I didn't have much luck. Since I'm not generally photographing for the purpose of ID I usually don't take direct side shots if I can help it. I do have a partial side shot of #2 that shows the scales. I don’t know if that helps.
I found another what I think is a Snubnose that shows side detail very well. Though I don't know if you have any need for a Snubnose side shot. The thing I noticed is that it looks like it has a hint of orange the gill. Do Snubnoses have orange on the gills?
Attachments
P2005.09.17.pm.025.jpg
P2005.09.17.pm.094.jpg
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Not that I know of...but I can see what you mean in your photos. Maybe it's just shadow? Hard to say.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>