My TDI: Intro to tech class

General topics about technical diving.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

My TDI: Intro to tech class

Post by sheahanmcculla »

The last two weekends I have not had a chance to have some fun dives due to a class. I have been diving though, just taking a class; Intro to tech with Sandra (Hydrogirl). http://www.sandramherrera.com/

OW day 1:

We went over my gear, and she wanted to see my setup. I dive a backplate and wing, I am not DIR but I like a lot of there gear configuration. Sandra didn’t have any problems with anything I had. She is real good at letting you dive with whatever you feel comfortable with as long as it’s safe. No gear or brand bashing from her.

We then went over our dive plan. One of the biggest things I have learned from this class so far is planning, when to turn, gas management, max depth, etc. I used an arm slate made by Bigsky to write down all the info we needed for the dive. I was to figure out sac rate on every dive as well. I wrote down the max depth and time, turnaround pressure, simulated deco stops and times, and what skills we were doing. I like having this on the slate so you have no doubt in your mind what the plan is.

So the 1st dive we just went to 75’ for 10 mins. and then turned around and did stops every 10 feet to see how my buoyancy was. We then did a mask failure at 30’ where I had to try to read gauges (ya right, there is no way I could read anything) and then have her guide me to the surface. She threw in an OOA on me but all went well. I had never dove with Sandra before so she kinda just wanted to see where I was at.

For the second dive we were to do the same profile as the 1st, but this time shoot a bag at 40’ and do a straight ascent. She explained to me about reels and spools, and different ways to inflate the bag. I was a little uneasy about shooting it so she said she would demonstrate the 1st one. We did our profile and then I watched as she deployed and filled the bag with air. Sandra made it look easy. Once the bag was at the surface I was given the reel and started ascending, reeling as we went. Current was pretty strong going right towards the ferry. Along the way we saw a fisherman’s line and sinker. It was just bobbing up and down off the bottom. Do the fishermen not see our bubbles, geeze!

First and second dives, were pretty easy, and laid back.

OW day 2:

Today we were going to do a lot of skills. 1st up was to bring up a non-responsive diver on doubles and 2 stage bottles. This went pretty smoothly, I just dumped my wing and positioned myself on top, grabbed her inflator hose and rode to the top. Next was going to 75’ and clipping on a bailout/deco bottle. The bottle wasn’t that bad, but it was a PITA to unclip my SPG. I guess it’s just practice. After our dive at depth it was time to make some stops and then time to shoot the bag. This time it was all me. I had just gotten a 100’ spool and was eager to try it. I unrolled the bag, connected the spool, and switched to the backup reg. Then the fun began. It was a struggle to get the 1st bit of air to stay in the bag. I was shaking it around trying to get it vertical. I got a little more in and then zoom it went to the surface as I held the spool between my fingers. The whole thing seemed like it took forever. I was all over the place trying to keep the bag in front of me and dealing with the deco bottle. At least I was off the bottom, but I was kicking up some silt. With the bag at the surface I made 2 stops and then ascended the rest of the way. The bag was a bit under inflated; next time I need more air!

During our surface interval, we talked about running line. We re-wound the spool to make sure it was on straight, and then ran some line around my truck to see how it’s done. Next was one of the most task loading dives I have ever done.

We descended directly on a log, and I recorded my depth, psi, and time (just like on every other dive). I tied the reel off the end of the log and dragged it along to a cinder block, tied it off then down a ways to a bench and tied it of again. I was then to be out of air, so I had to stay close to Sandra as we swam the length of the line from begging to end. Another OOA drill and I was leading Sandra back down the line to the Bench. Next I had to take off the deco bottle and place it on the line. Mask drill time; I took off the mask and was led along the line back to the log, keeping buoyancy and keeping track of the line. The water is so cold; I don’t like it for long periods of time. (All I needed was a pocket and I could have used a backup mask for this drill). A tap to the forehead and I could put the mask back on. A quick trip back to re-attach the bottle, and then re-wind the spool and write down my PSI, depth, and time again...I sucked a lot of air this time.

Bag time again. My time was a lot better this round, but I still struggled with buoyancy a little. I managed to put more air in this time then last, but still not enough. We ascended and all was well. This last dive gave me a boost of confidence, as I had to complete so many skills in 1 dive.

Sandra always does more training dives then a course requires so we are doing Cove 2 in two weeks for my last set of dives. Going down to the I-beams (never been before).

I am really happy I decided to take the class. Even If I do not want to get into tech diving, they are great skills to have for the average dive.

Big thanks to Sandra! She is an excellent instructor.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: My TDI: Intro to tech class

Post by dsteding »

Sounds like a great class--lots of good stuff there.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

sounds fun, sandra sounds like a great mentor.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Sandra is an outstanding instructor.....I'm glad to hear that it's going well for you!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

A good Intro-to-Tech class is incredibly valuable, for divers of ALL goals and backgrounds. Even if someone never has any interest in technical diving, ItT is a class which will make their recreational diving safer and more enjoyable.

It's also a great test to see where you're at. It can be easy to get comfortable with your skill level and feel that you're a fairly good diver... and truth be told, when everything is going right you probably are a pretty good diver if you try to be. When things start going wrong, however, that's when you learn how good you really are.

I highly encourage recreational divers who have no interest in technical diving to take an ItT course with one of the instructors who get high recommendations here. It'll make you a better diver and will change the way you approach this sport.

Glad to hear about your class! It sounds like she's definitely putting you through the paces and isolating the areas which need work. After your class is over, you'll know exactly what to work on, how to fix what needs fixing, and how to maintain the rest. That's the sign of a good instructor.

Good for you for stepping up to plate with this class. You'll soon find you're more confident and relaxed on your dives... and your dives will become more and more enjoyable.

I enjoyed reading your report.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Great report, Sheahan. Sounds like you had a great class and I agree...Sandra's a great instructor. Good job!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

sheahanmcculla wrote:I am really happy I decided to take the class. Even If I do not want to get into tech diving, they are great skills to have for the average dive.
This is so true. I never felt "comfortable" with my buoyancy skills until I took Intro. And that's when I realized that I was just beginning to learn how to be completely comfortable and "in control". Intro was a big step for me which made my recreational dives SO much better.

Great post Sheahan. Congrats on another important step in your diving education!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Thanks for the report Sheahan. I can't believe how fast you've been improving your skills since the first time I saw you underwater. I'm kind jealous though. I can't wait to do ItT.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Great write up, Sheahan! Sounds like a fun and challenging class so far! I've met Sandra a couple of times. And I've never heard anything but high praise for her teaching.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

sheahanmcculla wrote:
Big thanks to Sandra! She is an excellent instructor.
Yes she is, and we're lucky to have her in this neck of the woods.

-Valerie
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Thanks guys for all the feedback. Reading the responses boosts me that much more to continue to learn and become a better diver. Woot! :breakdance:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

BTW.....Sandra is a member of NWDC, although she rarely posts. She goes by the name of HydroGirl, (no surprise there!).

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Thanks guys for all the feedback. Reading the responses boosts me that much more to continue to learn and become a better diver. Woot! :breakdance:
This is the best post we've had on this site in a long time. :goodpost:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!