What size argon bottle?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

What size argon bottle?

Post by scottsax »

I'm thinking that for the long winter ahead, argon would be nice in my suit. What size bottle do you folks use?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: What size argon bottle?

Post by Sounder »

I use 6cf bottles. I had considered getting a larger one, but instead I just a few more 6cf bottles.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:I had considered getting a larger one,
TWSS
Sounder wrote:but instead I just a few more 6cf bottles.
Why doesn't that surprise me?

How many dives do you get out of one 6cf?
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

scottsax wrote:How many dives do you get out of one 6cf?
I get two tech dives or four recreational dives (if I'm careful) out of a six before it drains to the point where I can't get the reg to deliver gas. If I'm being sloppy on the scooter, a lot less :)

I quit filling mine with argon years ago, too. As long as it's not helium in the suit, it doesn't seem to make a difference.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:
Sounder wrote:I had considered getting a larger one,
TWSS
Silence! I keeeeeel you.
scottsax wrote:How many dives do you get out of one 6cf?
2-3 recreational dives, or two baby-tech dives. Also obviously depends on depths and depth changes during the dive, but generally 2-3 is a good bet. After 3 dives I swap it out for sure, and if I do 2 dives in a day I will call it done and refill it (I won't bring it out another day to squeeze that third dive from it).
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Does the smaller bottle trim out better?

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

scottsax wrote:Does the smaller bottle trim out better?
irrelevant to trim, you don't even know its there. for single tank diving you want a 6cf.

a 13 or 14cf bottle strapped to a single is redunkulous. its no big deal on doubles.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

What ever size you get, make sure it is a LP tank. Argon is filled from a LP bottle that is usually filled to 2200 to 2400 psi. If you get anything but a lp tank you will never get a full fill unless they boost. And most shops do not boost Argon.

I have a lp 14 and get anywhere from 6 to 7 dives out of it. It trims out great with my pony on the other side. I also have a lp25 O2 bottle converted to argon with a trans fill connector to fill on long dive trips. But then I also have a Argon fill station with booster at home.
Charles
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

the only lp size that exists in AL is a 14, which is overkill for single tank diving.

most shops in Pugetropolis boost argon to 3k
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

CaptnJack wrote: most shops in Pugetropolis boost argon to 3k

Once again you guys and gals are lucky. I don't know of any in Portland that do.
Charles
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounds like multiple sixes is the way to go, or a 13. How does it mount to my backplate? I have a DSS stainless plate with the weight plates.

camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

scottsax wrote:Sounds like multiple sixes is the way to go, or a 13. How does it mount to my backplate? I have a DSS stainless plate with the weight plates.
Couple of choices. One is a velcro strap with a grommet that you bolt through the plate holes in the side. I use one of them, and a piece of bungee around the valve area, inverted. See http://www.halcyon.net/?q=node/29. If you search other manufacturers, there are far more appropriately priced versions out there. I just used scrap webbing and made my own, and it's pretty easy.

Alternatively, you can just rig it to look just like a can light and strap it on your hip belt on the left side. That works well, too.

Either way, a six is so tiny, you won't notice it.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Piranha has some of the best pricing I have seen in a while. They also have the bags for hanging the bottles.

http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/shop/?sho ... 61&cat=123
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.