Noob here.

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Noob here.

Post by Linedog »

Hey all I just got My OW cert. I have a bunch of questions but for now I will just say hello and am looking forward to spending some time underwater.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Gooch
Submariner

Re: Noob here.

Post by Gooch »

Welcome! Tons of really knowledgeable cool folks here that want to go diving with you and anybody else they can talk into it. This is a great site to get info, setup dives, and just feel at home. I'm down near PDX so we venture up north to dive on regular intervals.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

welcome to NWDC, linedog!

ask all the questions you want, that what this board is for. oh, and stupid jokes and inane banter have their place here as well.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Welcome to the ol' nut and fruit bowl!
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

OK heres the low down, I have my OW cert, I was able to get my old hands on a mixed bag of stuff. A Conshelf 22 with reg and octo. A Mares, Tusa and a Poseidon reg setup. From the people I have talked to, everyone from an ex Navy diver to shop owners, I have come up with a plan. Rebuild the Poseidon with the Din fitting, add my gauges to that reg. Then rebuild the Conshelf 22 and have that setup for my pony bottle, the Conshelf has a yoke. Use that setup untill parts run out for the Poseidon then upgrade to maybe a Scubapro. I also have a Zeagle Tech BCD, it needs some work, new bladder and hose just to be on the safe side. All I really need to rent now is a wetsuit/drysuit and tanks. Does anybody rent pony bottles?
Pop tarts and gravy,
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Linedog wrote:OK heres the low down, I have my OW cert, I was able to get my old hands on a mixed bag of stuff. A Conshelf 22 with reg and octo. A Mares, Tusa and a Poseidon reg setup. From the people I have talked to, everyone from an ex Navy diver to shop owners, I have come up with a plan. Rebuild the Poseidon with the Din fitting, add my gauges to that reg. Then rebuild the Conshelf 22 and have that setup for my pony bottle, the Conshelf has a yoke. Use that setup untill parts run out for the Poseidon then upgrade to maybe a Scubapro. I also have a Zeagle Tech BCD, it needs some work, new bladder and hose just to be on the safe side. All I really need to rent now is a wetsuit/drysuit and tanks. Does anybody rent pony bottles?
Hmm...life support equipment is something you defiantly need experience with...im guessing you have talked to a tech about the different type of equipment you have mentioned here?

my local lds as far as i know doesn't rent them, just sells them.

From personal experience if you are going to stay in the pnw, please buy a drysuit. You will save money in the long run.

Why jump for a pony bottle so quickly? Plan on doing solo diving?
Linedog wrote:Hey all I just got My OW cert. I have a bunch of questions but for now I will just say hello and am looking forward to spending some time underwater.
^^^^^ this is probably the reason most people would go...ehhhhhh huh?

Just be careful and dive safely, I would recommend having your older gear checked out before diving any used or older gear.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Linedog wrote:Does anybody rent pony bottles?
First Welcome, This is the place

I doubt it because ponys require a mounting system and there are dozens of different ways to go. but a brand new one is around $100.00 so it's small potatoes to the other stuff.

Check out Tacoma Scuba this weekend They are going to have a sale going on. Make sure those regs are gone through by someone who knows what they are doin before you use them. Have fun and dive safe.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Welcome, I think that you'll like it here better than Scubaboard.

You may get a little sticker shock if you send in your Poseidon for a rebuild. I believe that they were well regarded for their performance at deeper depths. I have been happy with my Conshelf 22 with the diving I have been doing above 80fsw or so. I would say just get a single reg set built up for the time being, practice good buddy skills, learn about rock bottom gas planning, and spend some money on a drysuit. When you reach a point where you are ready for deeper diving you can get a second reg set built and start carrying a pony if that still makes sense to you.

I have been diving a Zeagle Tech and am switching to a backplate/wing system. If I was going to keep the Zeagle I would swap the 65lb bladder with a 45ld bladder from a Zeagle Ranger, especially if I was faced with purchasing a replacement. The 65lb bladder is unnecessary large for diving single tanks and traps air too easily. I found mine to be much more comfortable after I added a crotch strap to keep it from riding up on me.

Plan on buying a decent LED dive lite ASAP that will eventually become your backup light. Something like the new UK SL3 would be ideal. Don't spend more than $75. We'll convince you to buy a really expensive flashlight after you have been diving a bit.

It might be worthwhile to go visit Tacoma Scuba's sale this weekend since they will be having a sale, serving food, and folks seem to like them. Watch craigslist carefully for tanks and drysuits. Don't buy aluminum 80 tanks. Ask your mentors or in the Gear Central forum here when you think you have spotted something. Folks are frequently willing to loan out a tank too so don't let getting air be an obstacle. Above all avoid buying the same gear twice.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Welcome to the ol' nut and fruit bowl!
Hey that's Aquanautchuck's Line!

Welcome LineDdog! I Hope you can dive on Thursdays! keep a close eye on the "Dive Planning" section and you will have no shortage of dive buddies almost any day of the week.

But ultimately, I welcome you to South end Thursday dives. :partydance:

See you at a local Dive soon!

Keith :salute:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Dashrynn wrote:Why jump for a pony bottle so quickly? Plan on doing solo diving?
a pony isn't just for solo diving. a lot of folks dive with an extra air source regularly.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

spatman wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:Why jump for a pony bottle so quickly? Plan on doing solo diving?
a pony isn't just for solo diving. a lot of folks dive with an extra air source regularly.
I know, just wondering. Pony bottles are a nice item that can be a life saver. But , i normally see solo diver's sporting them rather than buddy diver's.
renoun wrote: Don't buy aluminum 80 tanks.
listen to this...i have 2 80's i never use anymore. in a wetsuit this was enough for me to have a 40 or 50 min dive but that was in 30 to 55 ft of water.

renoun wrote: Plan on buying a decent LED dive lite ASAP that will eventually become your backup light. Something like the new UK SL3 would be ideal. Don't spend more than $75. We'll convince you to buy a really expensive flashlight after you have been diving a bit.
[/quote][/quote]

Light envy happens FAST
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Thought i would help you out here.....
tanks and a tech bcd and drysuit...maybe he would cut you a deal if you ask nicely \:D/
also some apeks not sure what type

looks like he is not sure of the price he would let these go for, i am sure he would go for around a 1,000 for all of it. if not atleast you attempted wheeling and dealing

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/1461891463.html
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Welcome to the group and take it slow. You mentioned that you just became certified and have a lot of questions. Well rest assured that for every question you have there are 6, very different, good answers. By that I mean there are so many different successful, safe, diving styles and gear configurations that you will be drowni..ahem overwhelmed in choices.

Get your gear safe and sound, dive it and ask questions with fellow divers. In addition there are quite a bit of people on here that already own what you may be looking to buy and are willing to have you dive it for a day. Different tanks, Buoyancy control options, Reg setups; these are all choices you will eventually have to make and luckily you found us so we can help.

Get in on some dives and you will be happy to know that there are some regular choices out there. Every Monday at Mukilteo there is a group that does two dives, one at 4 and one at 6:30ish.

In addition I think there is someone out there always looking for someone to join him on Thursdays....um ...OH YEAH BASSMAN, and I dive every Wednesday and usually the following weekend, somewhere in the North i.e. Edmonds, Mukilteo, Cove 2..etc

WELCOME!!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

Welcome to the dive board! I see that you live in Gig Harbor. So do I, and I can tell you that there are some great dive sites close by, especially for new divers. I always recommend visiting a dive site for the first time with someone who has already been there, and diving with a more experienced diver is a great idea when you are getting started. Feel free to send me a message if you are looking for a buddy!
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I guess I got a little ahead of myself, I defently will have Tacoma Scuba rebuild my regs. I had heard very good things about the Poseidon so I thought that might be the way to go. It sounds like having Tacoma Scuba rebuild and set up the Conshelf 22 to use with an octo would be the way to go. About the pony bottle, it looks like it would be a safe way to have an alt air source onhand. 2 reg setups are better than 1? I don't plan on doing any solo diving at all, sorry if I lead you to think that. In the mixed bag of things there is a light, a UK something, it has a single bulb, rechargable battery and is freaking bright. I was told not to use it out of the water as it gets very hot. Kraig used it the other day and it seemed to work fine. As funds allow I will be getting a drysuit, but for now it's a rental wetsuit or if I can find a deal on one, I would rather have my own.
Thanks all!      
P.S. Tom you were one of the dive masters at my OW class with Mike and Desi.
Last edited by Linedog on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pop tarts and gravy,
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Domer Down wrote:Welcome to the dive board!.....I can tell you that there are some great dive sites close by, especially for new divers. I always recommend visiting a dive site for the first time with someone who has already been there, and diving with a more experienced diver is a great idea when you are getting started. Feel free to send me a message if you are looking for a buddy!
Same here, and welcome Linedog!
:bday:
Tom, I should head up that way and dive with you again sometime soon.
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Welcome to the force! We're the Aqua Teen Diving Force! Only ... not teens. So, not really fitting, at all.

Wait. Let me start over.

Welcome! Give a shout out in Dive Planning, or tag onto some of the set dives and have a ball!
spatman wrote:a pony isn't just for solo diving. a lot of folks dive with an extra air source regularly.
You're my extra air source! Hot air, that is.
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Linedog wrote: In the mixed bag of things there is a light, a UK something, it has a single bulb, rechargable battery and is freaking bright.
If the bulb goes ask around. There are DIY LED upgrades for some of the UK lights and factory options too.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

renoun wrote:
Linedog wrote: In the mixed bag of things there is a light, a UK something, it has a single bulb, rechargable battery and is freaking bright.
If the bulb goes ask around. There are DIY LED upgrades for some of the UK lights and factory options too.
Yeah a friend of mine even found Light Cannon H.I.D bulbs for $40.00 on-line. :supz:
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I may need the link for that if mine ever goes kaput....
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Okay, I'll see if I can get that link, and I'll post it here.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Light Cannon replacment Bulb

Post by renoun »

I believe that the Light Cannon uses a Welch Allyn #M10N001 sold directly as a replacement part for $30. Let me know if you need to beat the $100 min. order, I have a couple of other things I need to get and $30 would put my order over the top.
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

:metal:
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Dashrynn wrote:
spatman wrote:
I know, just wondering. Pony bottles are a nice item that can be a life saver. But , i normally see solo diver's sporting them rather than buddy diver's.
I dive a pony pretty much exclusively and I'm pretty sure Karl dives one also AND I recall you diving as a buddy with both of us at least one. I guess Karl and I are just not "normal".

And Welcome Linedog!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

You are far from normal pracer :smt064 , and as for karl...well that man is a beast. In his current state he prob could out dive me. In his younger years I bet he was a hell raiser lol

I seen you had a pony but never noticed you ACTUALLY wearing that bad boy.