Bubble bubble...

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
brit
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Bubble bubble...

Post by brit »

Howdy.

I'm a diver/naturalist hoping to work on my in situ fish/algae/critter ID capabilities this year. Have also just signed on as a volunteer diver at Seattle Aquarium (maybe I'll bump into some of you there?). Have a couple buddies in the area but hope to get in the water this year more often than they are currently available. Glad a group like this is out there so I can make that happen!

Looking forward to getting in the water with you all. :]

~brit

(P.S. Anybody else think the emoticon exuberance congregated at the bottom of their submission form is slightly amazing/maniacal? I had no idea there were so many animated smiley faces in the world? Egads!) :grouphug: :axe: :toimonster: :seesaw:
"Faites attention aux baobabs!"
~LPP
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Bubble bubble...

Post by Sounder »

Welcome Brit! You'll find everything you asked for and more here - best dive forum on the planet.

Regarding fish ID, talk to Janna (nwscubamom) - she does all the REEF classes around here, and they're free. There is one coming up in March 19th & 20th at Redondo (in Federal Way). You can find all the information you want here: http://pnwscuba.com/critterwatchers/classes.htm There will be a ton of NWDCers there, and it's not only a fun class but you'll learn something too... did I mention it's free? You DO need to register though... the site has all the details. Bring your gear - there will be some diving after the class!!

Welcome again to NWDC - glad you found us.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Welcome! This is the right place to meet up with divers in the area. You can find a lot of buddies ready to show you the best spots the sound has to offer. I'm in the Vancouver/PDX areas so I have to make a special pilgrimage up there but others are more local.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Also - what shift do you work at the Aquarium? If you happen to be there Fridays, my boy and I often go for an hour or two to say hi to the "isheez."
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Welcome to the asylum, Brit.

About those emoticons, if you mouse over them you'll notice that quite a few of them are named after members here ... there's a reason for that ... :supz:

So where are you most interested in diving? There's a group that dives every Monday up at Mukilteo ... and there's a bunch of south Sound divers who get together on a regular basis.

And if Redondo suits your fancy, I'm there three or more times a week. Drop me a PM and I'll show you around the place. Right now's a great time to find lumpsuckers at Redondo ... they won't be there anymore in a coupla months.

Best way to hook up with folks is to post when you're available and where you'd like to dive. This is a divin' crowd, and you'll probably end up with more buddies than you know what to do with.

There's a few Aquarium volunteers on the board as well ... who knows, you might run into one or two of them at the Aquarium ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Welcome to NWDC! You're days of hunting for dive buddies should be over. Like Bob mentioned if you're ever up north of Seattle on a Monday or Wednesday join us for one of our Mukilteo dives. :metal: and some beer afterwards :mmmbeer:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
spatz84
Aquaphile

Post by spatz84 »

Hey welcome to the club. I am another north end diver I try to frequent mulkeltio and other area sites. I'm just a beginner diver but this club has been great to me. I'm sure you will find the same thing for yourself.

welcome abaord!

I was surprised at how many avatars this site has to. :80sdance: :partydance: :supz:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

welcome to the club oh educated one. Your words hurt my brain but im sure joshua or someone like that could carry on an intelligent conversation that would be on your level. Btw do you know jan kocian or is he just an idol of yours?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Welcome to the club!!! I'm sure that you'll find a home here! :rawlings:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

hello and welcome to NWDC! unlike some folks on the forum *cough* dashrynn *cough*, most of us appreciate large vocabularies and well educated contributors to the site.

we look forward to hearing more from you!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

spatman wrote: unlike some folks on the forum *cough* spatman *cough*,
never said i disliked it, but her massive vocabulary hurts my pathetic aviation electronic technicians brain. Oh! she could become my grammar teacher then i could surpass even spatmans mass grammarfication, but hopefully spatmans big words didn't scare her off!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Welcome to our "Nut and Fruit Bowl" Brit. :bounceline: :bounceline: Just a little bit of each all mixed up. One great group of bubble makers. Watch the dive buddy posts or just post yourself when you want to get wet. We should also be having a spring dive get together in the next few months. Hope to see you in the water.
Charles
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Welcome Brit! The water here is fine, and the smilies make for more emphatic posts. I'm particularly fond of them!

Sadly, I have been reticent enough about posting and viewing the board in the past few months that I missed THIS one :burntchef:

Neat!

I feel confident that with enough browsing and posting, you will find your way around the wingnuts ... erm, I mean DIVERS on this board.

Happy Bubbling!
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Well somebody hijacked your introduction thread, that is a positive sign. Hopefully we'll meet in the water at some point.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
brit
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by brit »

Ha! Look at all these incredible welcome posts. I am uber impressed! :sunny:

(Dashrynn - fyi that "uber' means "super" or "overly" and (even better!) "uber uber" means jellyfish in Indonesian so its actually a pretty good word for a diver to know - not an utter waste of brain space. Um... let me or spatman know if you need any help with "utter".) :snorkel:

Sounder - thanks so much for the REEF class suggestion. I'll be there! I am currently working on setting up my shift assignment with the Aquarium. If it turns out to be Friday, I will definitely let you know.

Dashrynn - thanks for checking out my site. :]
I am a big fan of Jan's illustrations and think some of his online stories about Melibe leonina nudibranchs from way back might be to blame for sustaining the insane coldwater diving impulse. But... no... he has no idea who I am. (Hi, Jan, if you are out there. :bye: Thanks for all your amazing art and inspiration!). Hmmm... did you also check out Casey Curran's "Oceania" kinetic sculptures while you were browsing the links? He uses a lot of wires and moving parts that might appeal to your electronics technician sensibilities. (http://www.vimeo.com/2930900).

Man.. sounds like a trip up to Mukilteo might be in order... and down to Redondo to see those Lumpsuckers before they disappear!

You guys are all awesome! Thanks again for the warm welcome. :thankyouyellow:

xo,
brit
"Faites attention aux baobabs!"
~LPP
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

brit wrote:
(Dashrynn - fyi that "uber' means "super" or "overly" and (even better!) "uber uber" means jellyfish in Indonesian so its actually a pretty good word for a diver to know - not an utter waste of brain space. Um... let me or spatman know if you need any help with "utter".) :snorkel:
utter? is that one of dem ner swimming thingies that look like rats?

brit wrote:
Dashrynn - thanks for checking out my site. :]
I am a big fan of Jan's illustrations and think some of his online stories about Melibe leonina nudibranchs from way back might be to blame for sustaining the insane coldwater diving impulse. Hmmm... did you also check out Casey Curran's "Oceania" kinetic sculptures while you were browsing the links? He uses a lot of wires and moving parts that might appeal to your electronics technician sensibilities. (http://www.vimeo.com/2930900).
i hadn't checked up on the site but now that i have my hands on some video, i am now informed but let me say this, his work is amazing, put a small solar panel, and a battery motor (one within the proper rpm's) on these doo dads and set em outside!

Jan does draw very well and he is heavily modest about his work. I believe you will find he is an idol for most of us (plus hes a great guy in person) including myself.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

brit wrote:(Dashrynn - fyi that "uber' means "super" or "overly" and (even better!) "uber uber" means jellyfish in Indonesian so its actually a pretty good word for a diver to know - not an utter waste of brain space. Um... let me or spatman know if you need any help with "utter".) :snorkel:
lol, i like this girl!
Dashrynn wrote:utter? is that one of dem ner swimming thingies that look like rats?
nope, and it ain't a part of the cow, either.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

utter? is that one of dem ner swimming thingies that look like rats?

No that's as in "it was the utter guy who did it" :neener:
Charles
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

brit wrote: Hmmm... did you also check out Casey Curran's "Oceania" kinetic sculptures while you were browsing the links? He uses a lot of wires and moving parts that might appeal to your electronics technician sensibilities. (http://www.vimeo.com/2930900).
I absolutely *love* kinetic art, so thanks for the cool link!!
Kelly