Help me out please?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
rosssteed
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Help me out please?

Post by rosssteed »

I have snorkeled Belize, Glovers Atoll, Roatan and Hawaii in some spectacular sites. I want to take my 12 year old on a weeks snorkeling. What is Cozumel like? how about Cuba? I don't want to be disappointed with ho hum reefs or lack thereof, or poor visability or few marine life. CAn anyone advise? Much appreciated. Ross
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Help me out please?

Post by CaptnJack »

If you are a US citizen, going to Cuba is a huge huge hassle and opens you up to a pile of potential legal issues+fines via the Holmes Burton Act. You can go through an intermediate country but CBP is on the lookout for that as well. Tread very very gingerly in this area and research exactly what you are doing so you don't end up with thousands of dollars in fines or jail.

Oh and welcome to NWDC!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

I have heard fabulous things about Cozumel (but don't have first hand knowledge yet!). But I have dove Belize and Grand Cayman.

I found the Grand Cayman comletely superior to Belize...but that is just comparing the multiple dive sites I went to at both locations. That is my two psi. :)
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I wouldn't go to Coz for snorkeling ... then again, I wasn't all that impressed with the diving either. It's all boat access, and pretty much all drift diving. That's not ideal snorkeling conditions.

Have you considered Maui? There's some great snorkeling beaches there ... easy access, lots to see, shallow water. When I was there we pretty much split our time between snorkeling and diving ... both were fantastic.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Of all the sites I have been (not so many) I would second Maui for snorkeling. You can see a lot of really great stuff from shore--lots of sites too. And it's all pretty shallow so excellent for snorkeling. Of course, I enjoyed snorkeling on the other Hawaiian islands too.

p.s. Don't go to Cuba. Just...don't. Wait for the armies of Disneyland to arrive first and pave the way.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Kudos to the OP for starting this thread. What a great topic! I want to get my kids snorkeling long before they are scuba-age and am very interested in what this thread turns up.

-Ben

(Doug & Jake, are you listening?)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

For snorkeling I'd pick Maui. Stay at the Outrigger and snorkeling is right out past the restaurant. Then there is South Maui and of course Molokini. Then if you want a break to dive a bit there is quite a bit of life on the Maui side of Molokini. That is where I saw my first pregnant and about to give birth white tip.

My number two would be another Hawaiian island, Oahu. There are numerous beaches with near reefs. On both the Windward and Leeward coasts there are protected beaches that are good for swimming and snorkeling. You'd have a lot of very friendly local company as families spend their days on the water.

Plus, from the PNW it is a relatively cheap and quick domestic flight to Hawaii. Something not to be ignored in this era.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

I am going to cast my vote for Maui as well, our favorite place was Honolua Bay... and of course Molokini...

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT