San Diego in May

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Mongodives
Aquaphile

San Diego in May

Post by Mongodives »

Anybody done any diving in or close to San Diego and have any dive site recommendations?
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: San Diego in May

Post by WylerBear »

If you can, go out on a charter with Water Horse Charters. They are great!
If you want to do shore diving, go up to La Jolla and do La Jolla Shores or the Marine Room. You can check with OEX dive shop for info.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I can't say enough good things about Waterhorse Charters! We spent 3 days with them in January and I would book them again in a heartbeat.
Kelly
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

funkydiver and I will be diving LaJolla shores first week in April. I can let ya know how it goes....we will be diving Catalina on the weekend. But our diving in San Diego is mid week and so we won't be able to get out on a charter since they don't run mid week during this time...
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

La joya Cove is my favorit shore dive thier, the stairs suck but getting in and out of the water is much eaiser (no surf) and it is rock not sand.

The caves are just to the right from the cove.

Children's Pool (aka children's beach) is also a great place to get in at.

La Joya Shores is a big beach and a surf entry but their is a leopard shark colony their that is very cool to check out. That is about it.

If you have a scooter the kelp beds and trench are absolutely killer dives from the cove and children's, watch out you may drag a large friend back with you. I had a huge tiger shark follow me back the last time I ran out to the trench. the Life guards were circling above with a boat to keep it corralled and away from the swimmers doing the buoy courses. He was just checking me out I guess. I never saw it just heard about it from the LG's when I got back to the cove :geek: .

I dive off the Marissa when I am down their, it is owned by friends of mine and is the only boat that regularly does the offshore wrecks both recreational and technical dives. It is a fast boat with a great crew.

http://marissadivetickets.com/

i love diving down thier but vis ussally suck untill you get down below 30' just a heads up.

Their is not a lot of shore diving down their due to access most of it has to be boat dove.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

thanks all
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody