holy cow 500$ edge canister light 1200 lumens????

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

holy cow 500$ edge canister light 1200 lumens????

Post by Dashrynn »

http://www.edgecameras.com/edcali.html

anyone read about this light??? i found a used one on craigslist and then looked it up....turns out its the same price as on cl but holy #%#@ this price is cheap as fudge!

I am seriously debating about buying this light...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: holy cow 500$ edge canister light 1200 lumens????

Post by Dusty2 »

That do look like a rockin light! very compact too.
Old Nubbins
Aquaphile

Post by Old Nubbins »

I dove with the guy who makes these once. Nice looking light and he uses a low pressure hose to route the wiring instead of glands - interesting solution. He was tight-lipped about the components, but thats understandable since this is his business. I am a QA manager in a machine shop so naturally I looked over the machining of the Delrin, and for a prototype done by an amateur machinist - it looked very nice. I couldn't tell how bright the light was while we were diving since it was daytime and I didn't bother taking a closer look until after the dive. One thing I did not notice was a switch - it was on the whole time, but then again, it was a prototype.

**EDIT** After looking at the link - I see there has been some changes since I first saw it.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Old Nubbins wrote:I dove with the guy who makes these once. Nice looking light and he uses a low pressure hose to route the wiring instead of glands - interesting solution. He was tight-lipped about the components, but thats understandable since this is his business. I am a QA manager in a machine shop so naturally I looked over the machining of the Delrin, and for a prototype done by an amateur machinist - it looked very nice. I couldn't tell how bright the light was while we were diving since it was daytime and I didn't bother taking a closer look until after the dive. One thing I did not notice was a switch - it was on the whole time, but then again, it was a prototype.

**EDIT** After looking at the link - I see there has been some changes since I first saw it.
was it a blueish light?
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

I believe that is the light a buddy of mine just purchased. It is indeed quite bright. I like how the canister is about half-sized. I noticed that the beam was much more focused than my UK Aquasun. Granted, my light isn't designed to be a headlight/laser beam like the sweet HID can-lights. My buddy really likes it, and night dives in Cozumel his beat everyone else's light hands down (although no one in our group had 10w+ Salvo/light monkey etc). From the boat or beach In Coz, topside viewers said the water was just glowing, and where my buddy was it was a clear beam like a lighthouse.

I definitely want a sweet LED can light, but I think I'll have to save and wait as the technology is really picking up!
Jacob
Old Nubbins
Aquaphile

Post by Old Nubbins »

Dashrynn wrote:was it a blueish light?
I want to say no but I honestly cannot recall
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Looks like they've made some changes since the last time I saw them on CL too. I think originally it was a 3 die arrangement like the DR head uses. If you believe his claims of brightness, he pushing an SST90 or SST50. Either way his claims of 10 hour is bogus unless he's talking about 10hours until it goes all the way out. Dash, why is the color of such concern for you?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

'm looking at getting a beefier light soon, and this looks pretty sweet. I love the size of the can, but from the picture, it looks like the head is bigger than the can! Does anyone know . . . is that just perspective or will this be huge?
Kelly
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

The little cree light is a pure white and honestly after diving with all the blueish lights out there that's all I really want.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dashrynn wrote:The little cree light is a pure white and honestly after diving with all the blueish lights out there that's all I really want.

You want blue, or you want white?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:The little cree light is a pure white and honestly after diving with all the blueish lights out there that's all I really want.

You want blue, or you want white?
blue...ish :metal:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Nwbrewer wrote:Either way his claims of 10 hour is bogus unless he's talking about 10hours until it goes all the way out.
Why do you say this?

I prefer a very white light. The light looks very promising. I wonder if having the switch on top of the light head like that ever results in it being inadvertently turned on/off. Looks like a great light. Is the beam focusable?
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Anybody have ideas on what a realistic burn time is? How about how many charges one can get out of the battery pack before it needs replacing?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

the light in question claims 6500k which from most of the research i have done is a typical hid. Here is a chart visually explaining the color temperatures and kelvins.

I also noticed that in these green waters or as you go deeper a blueish light presents a fuller and better color experience. That and blueish lights are pretty. Now technically this blueish light isn't blue but a true white, but when compared to other "warm" lights it is confused as having a blueish tint. But hey everyone knows it as blueish light so ill stick with that.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Tangfish wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Either way his claims of 10 hour is bogus unless he's talking about 10hours until it goes all the way out.
Why do you say this?

I prefer a very white light. The light looks very promising. I wonder if having the switch on top of the light head like that ever results in it being inadvertently turned on/off. Looks like a great light. Is the beam focusable?

Because it says a 12.5 ah battery. The only LED that's going to be pushing out 1200 lumens is an SST-50, or a 90. . To get 1200 lumens you're pushing either one at about 5amps. So, 12.5ah/5amps = 2.5, not 10. Also just by the volume of the canister, I know there's not 200watthours (roughly 20watts for 10 hours) in there using any battery chemistry commercially available. He even states that it's going to dim.
* 10+ hours of burn time on a fresh battery (burn time updated 2.26.2010), light will taper and not go dark immediately
If I had to guess, (again from the chemistry, amphours, and canister volume) I'd guess it's running 3 or 4 26650 li-ion cells or maybe 5 18650's.

As far as how many charging cycles, it really depends on the quality of the cells. There are some cheap Chinese cells that will only give you a 200-300 cycles, and really good Sanyo cells that will go 1000 cycles.

I'm not saying it's a bad light, I actually like what they did, I just think they may have exaggerated the light output/battery life a little. 1200lumens even for 2 hours isn't bad for $500.

Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

You know the blue vs. light debate has interested me for some time. I got into diving by way of a saltwater aquarium (long story). On my tank at home I have 2x250w Metal Halide (HID) bulbs on the tanks running about 10 hrs a day. These bulbs are 15,000k and very blue. Some guys even run 20,000k bulbs. Most aquarium guys feel that the higher kelvin bulbs make the colors in the fish and corals "pop" more. The downside to this is that if you get too high on the Kelvin spectrum the light has less punch and thus the corals lower in the tank will exhibit less growth. Thus the guys that are trying to grow corals as fast as possible will use 6,500 K bulbs.

In my opinion the bluish light makes the colors come out more vibrantly which is one of the reason I really like HIDs. OTOH this is a purely subjective opinion and clearly there is no right or wrong in this regard since it boils down to personal taste.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

I got to hold and look over one of the lights today and talk with Jeremy from Edge. It is a nice light and definitely bright as hell. He swears it gets at least 10hrs of run time on the battery. We will see Jason flys out to Tulum in the AM with one to play with for the week and I will hear all about it when he gets back. But overall it is a very nice light worth looking at especially for the price.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Myself and other would like to hear how it performed and a video would be nice...
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

My friend and I each bought one of these. Compared to what else is out there, at this price it seemed worth trying. We took it on the dives in Cozumel Jacob wrote about above. Only have used it on 2 dives so far, both in clear warm water. The light is very white. There is a nice, intense center beam that is surrounded by a softer "halo". The center, intense beam really carried in Cozumel - we had 100+ vis. Like Jacob said, my wife and the others on the surface really noticed the Edge. The softer halo made it easier to read my compass than with my old UK C8LED, which had a lot of glare. Jeremy has it back right now to install the switch - should get it back this weekend. Will let you know how the switch works when I get it back. I really like the light - compact and light. Will also let you know how long the charge lasts.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

So i went ahead and bought this light. Here are some pictures, i just started charging the light but the initial 5 minute charge the light isn't impressive at all. But that may change once its fully changed. The led emitter is also pretty small i have to say, compared to the cree mce 700ish dive light.

The battery was weird and built in the canister where you couldn't get it. That would make future modding near to impossible.
Attachments
volt and amps
volt and amps
crazy battery style
crazy battery style
light5
light5
light 4
light 4
light 3
light 3
light2
light2
light1
light1
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Dashrynn wrote:So i went ahead and bought this light. Here are some pictures, i just started charging the light but the initial 5 minute charge the light isn't impressive at all. But that may change once its fully changed. The led emitter is also pretty small i have to say, compared to the cree mce 700ish dive light.
So, if I understand you correctly, you bought the light, charged it for 5 minutes, then turned it on and were not impressed? #-o

I certainly hope you do not expect your dive light to be capable of charging in 5 minutes.

Some of the things you post....
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacoladiver wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:So i went ahead and bought this light. Here are some pictures, i just started charging the light but the initial 5 minute charge the light isn't impressive at all. But that may change once its fully changed. The led emitter is also pretty small i have to say, compared to the cree mce 700ish dive light.
So, if I understand you correctly, you bought the light, charged it for 5 minutes, then turned it on and were not impressed? #-o

I certainly hope you do not expect your dive light to be capable of charging in 5 minutes.

if its directly driven which i think its not then even a simple charge should be equivalent to the actual full output of the light. But since they say it tapers off then it stands to reason it isn't directly driven from a circuit board. However, i did mention it may change.

It has a hot spot for signaling but, still a giant spill from the led beam.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Dashrynn wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:

if its directly driven which i think its not then even a simple charge should be equivalent to the actual full output of the light. But since they say it tapers off then it stands to reason it isn't directly driven from a circuit board. However, i did mention it may change.

It has a hot spot for signaling but, still a giant spill from the led beam.
Right, right, right...
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

So did you mean to buy it or was it an accident?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Accidently on purpose