Neah Bay?

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
kagey747
Avid Diver

Neah Bay?

Post by kagey747 »

So, how was it? I couldn't make it, but inquiring minds want to know.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Neah Bay?

Post by pensacoladiver »

It was an absolute blast. I am still recovering from damn near non stop action, so this is just a few lines. All 3 days had great weather. Made it to Tatoosh on Fri and Sat and could have made it Sunday if not for time.

The Waddah Fingers and 3rd Beach were very productive, as usual. I need a new spear gun as old Monster Ling managed to snap my spear right in half. :eek:

We had a $5.00 per person pot, going to the diver at the end of the trip with the heaviest Ling. Give you two guesses as to who that went to. :uh:

I either deep fried all my fish at night or gave it away. None brought home. Cory and Coop made some AWESOME fish tacos. Cory can bend the hell out of a corn tortilla shell. They were beyond description. :taco:

I also found out I can dive 8 people out of my boat on calm days. I had my doubts, but she got right up on plane and handled well. Everyone was great about only bringing gear they were going to dive onto the boat.

Could not have asked for better conditions and better people. I am already thinking about my next and probably last hoorah out there in mid to late June. Wish you could have made it out there buddy... maybe next time.

H20 Doc will hopefully get some video up soon.
Chad Ling.JPG
Weight.JPG
3 Amigos.JPG
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

It was a lot of fun, the spearing and awesome vis as much as meeting some new people and being able to put a face to the name. Even if you forget the name and only remember the screen name. Anybody know the name of that H20 Doc Guy?? <-- Thats more of a joke for Chris...

Anyways, thanks everybody for putting this on and making it such a success! Looking forward to the next one. Kagey, hope you make it next time.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I'd like to chime in and say that I had a wonderful time. rennoun and I rode out together and prior to even going to the camp site we met with pensacolaracer, Supercoop, and mattley for a couple tanks. They caught some fish and we ad some great dives. Back to camp and setup, ring of chairs around the fire, beer, and fresh fish.
Good people and some good laughs. Second day between dive one and two I was jumping from the port rail to the aft deck around some gear. I was holding on to one of the pole holders that had a spear gun hanging by its bands. Upon releasing my grip the spear tip caught my middle finger at the base and impaled itself into my finger until the barb stopped it. Luckilly it was hanging by its rubber band so there was some play. ewewww Luckily Renoun had an amle supply of first aid gear and we were able to clean it up and wrap it for dive two. Much fish cooking after those dives and the fish tacos were FANTASIC. I will do this again for sure!!!
Finger is ok, doc just gave me some antibiotics and told me to keep it covered.

GOOD TIMES!!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Awesome.

Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Norris wrote:I'd like to chime in and say that I had a wonderful time. rennoun and I rode out together and prior to even going to the camp site we met with pensacolaracer, Supercoop, and mattley for a couple tanks. They caught some fish and we ad some great dives. Back to camp and setup, ring of chairs around the fire, beer, and fresh fish.
Good people and some good laughs. Second day between dive one and two I was jumping from the port rail to the aft deck around some gear. I was holding on to one of the pole holders that had a spear gun hanging by its bands. Upon releasing my grip the spear tip caught my middle finger at the base and impaled itself into my finger until the barb stopped it. Luckilly it was hanging by its rubber band so there was some play. ewewww Luckily Renoun had an amle supply of first aid gear and we were able to clean it up and wrap it for dive two. Much fish cooking after those dives and the fish tacos were FANTASIC. I will do this again for sure!!!
Finger is ok, doc just gave me some antibiotics and told me to keep it covered.

GOOD TIMES!!!!

Good to hear you still have your finger :biggrin:
Just hearing you tell the storie gave me the heebie jeebies.

I had a great time. Still honing my spearing skills, as they aren't quite up to chads... Rick, you missed out on a wicked drift dive at the fingers on sunday. It was wild. We dropped down into about a 2 knot current, got into one of the crevaces and it was like that scene on the movie Independance Day where they are flying through the canyon. Me and Coop were down for maybe 30 min and let me tell you, we covered some ground. It was not however conducive to spearfishing.

Still good times though. Glad I got to meet a bunch of you guys.
Last edited by WASP7000 on Tue May 18, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Ya know what the best thing about this weekend was???? I mean, besides the fishing, diving, being on the open ocean, the fresh air, the dozens of eagles, the sea lions, falling asleep listening to the ocean waves..etc. etc...... The company! It was such a great experience to be completly out of cell phone service, sitting around the campfire with a bunch of great people. The food was awesome, the drinks flowed, and the laughter roared.

To sum it up....

Trip to Neah Bay with boat..... $500.00
Cost per fish...... $65.00
Cost per dive....$175.00

Watching Joes dog roll in fish guts for 10 minutes just before he had to go sleep in the car with Joe and April.......

Priceless!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Jaksonbrown wrote: Watching Joes dog roll in fish guts for 10 minutes just before he had to go sleep in the car with Joe and April.......
Video....we DEMAND video!!!! Surely ONE of you geeks took some????? :taco:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
Watching Joes dog roll in fish guts for 10 minutes just before he had to go sleep in the car with Joe and April.......

Priceless!
That was truely good stuff there, disgusting, smelly, good stuff..

And for everyone singing "I'm on a boat"...this is for you...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8F3UE9qFsg[/youtube]
Last edited by WASP7000 on Tue May 18, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I remember someone with a Hd camera ? Who could that Be ??
Could someone please write about there EXP diving at Neah Bay , the rest of the NWDC peeps want to Hear about it .. I'm working on the Video ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

H20doctor wrote:I remember someone with a Hd camera ? Who could that Be ??
Could someone please write about there EXP diving at Neah Bay , the rest of the NWDC peeps want to Hear about it .. I'm working on the Video ..

Did we go diving while we were there? Its all so foggy..... :partyman:

Joe... ya wanna weigh in here? Or how about you Mr. Makers Mark?
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Jaksonbrown wrote: Or how about you Mr. Makers Mark?

Huh? What? Where am I?

Seriously, what an awesome weekend. The diving was great, but hanging out with friends camping and eating fish tacos was even better. BTW Cory, Linda liked your fish taco recipe so much that we've been eating them ever since we got home :taco:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Ya ya... da hippie redneck can cook! LOL

I think with that fresh of fish.. you could have grilled it up on the exhaust pipe and it still would taste amazing!
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

I did the same thing! came home....unloaded the fish... hmm what do I want for dinner.... I know, fish tacos!!

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Last night was lemon pepper ling with garlic prawns cooked in white whine... mmmmmnnnnnnnnn

Is it friday yet????
supacooper
Avid Diver

Post by supacooper »

Jaksonbrown wrote:Ya ya... da hippie redneck can cook! LOL
Thought you were Mexican or was it Spanish?

I had a great time. Tatoosh Island vis was exrtaordinary. Last year all sites had that kind of vis. Don't think most of you paid Chad your $5. I have to listen to his bragging rights. Special thanks to Chad and Cory, without boats Neah Bay wouldn't be. I like your dive flag Cory. Think the space shuttle could see us. By the way, did anyone hear about H2O Doc's secret?
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Here are just a few pics.....

I think my flag is too small....
Attachments
Boat flag--april.jpg
group lake crescent.jpg
campfire neah bay.jpg
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Jaksonbrown wrote: I think my flag is too small....
Now THAT is a dive Flag!! Where on earth did you find a dive flag that big?

I can't wait for the stories about the boaters, "Oh, I didn't see the flag....". :rofl:
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

More???

:popcorn:
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

boydski wrote:

I can't wait for the stories about the boaters, "Oh, I didn't see the flag....". :rofl:
I found it on the internet one day goofing off....

The nice thing is that it doubles as a sail if we happen to loose engine power... :rofl:
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

boydski wrote:

I have to say with all the other boats out there I was glad for the dive flag!

I had a blast. Thank you Cory and Chad for taking us out and for the delicious fish!! The diving was great, the company was fun, the views were amazing and the food was fantastic. What more could you ask for??

Extra special thanks to Cory (since I rode on his boat) for putting up with us and nearly sinking his boat to fit all the dive gear!
April
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

supacooper wrote: Don't think most of you paid Chad your $5. I have to listen to his bragging rights.
I know I did! And I brought him some gloves \:D/ . But I definitely agree with Coop, thanks to Chad and Corey for bringing the boats so that we could overload them. It would have been a pretty sad trip without you guys. :occasion5: :salute:
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

I left Thursday evening with Supa Coop right after work. We actually met up with Matt and Linda in Pt Angeles. They followed us out to the campsite. We managed to get set up by midnight or so. Next morning, we headed to launch the boat around 0900 and wait for Rick and Ross.

Both showed up and by 10:00, we were headed out. The wind was fairly calm so I decided Tatoosh was the place to go. We were able to run almost wide open for the 6 miles out there, with the occasional slow down for the rogue wave.

We anchored up here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 4&t=h&z=17

and swam over to the rock wall. As stated earlier, vis was incredible. I don't have video and that is just about the only way I could describe anything. Hopefully Doc will get some up soon.

After about an hour of messing around there, we headed over to the south side of Tatoosh and dropped here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 8&t=h&z=17

It absolutely sucked. There was a pretty good surge from the south and vis was crap. A few of us got pushed pretty hard into the rocks on the way up and Coop even managed to put a hole in his drysuit from it. Oh well, live and learn.

We then headed into 3rd Beach Reef. Rick decided to run the live boat and he did an awesome job of it. Vis there was not the best either, but good enough to at least see some fish. I think I ended up with a Cabby, but honestly can't remember.

After the dive, we ran into the Marina where I tried to get a spot to tie up. No go as they were full. I was going to have to pull the boat every night.

Shortly after we got back from the Marina, the rest of the crew showed up.

Sat morning, we were back out to Tatoosh to dive the same spot. Great vis and some fish on the boat when all was said and done. We did end up with quite a few folks on each boat... 7 divers on mine and I think 7 on Cory's also.

the plan was to dive the fingers next, but many on Cory's boat ended up with flooded drysuits for whatever reason. My boat went to the fingers, Cory's went to the docks for some dry clothes.

The fingers were excellent as usual. Vis was a little crappy and current was ripping, but I had a live boat, so we dropped. Lots of fish and things to look at. By the time we were done, Cory had come back out and was heading to the jetty for a dive.

We motored on over to the jetty and I dropped there for about 30 minutes. Not as much life there as I remember, but it is also early in the season.

sunday morning, I got up at 5AM to launch the boat ahead of the very low tide. I then came back to camp, packed most of my stuff up and grabbed 7 more divers to head back to the boat.

We did the fingers again and 3rd Beach Reef. Both were awesome and very productive. Got the boat pulled by noon and were on the road by 1300.

Wish I had video, but I was focused on spearing. Doc, where is the video?
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Wish i was able to make it. looks like you guys had a blast. was there any beer there? and how long of a drive was it?
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Maverick wrote:Wish i was able to make it. looks like you guys had a blast. was there any beer there? and how long of a drive was it?

Beer there?? :rofl: :rofl: Nope none! :rofl:

April was afraid that there was not gonna be any room for dive gear after they loaded up the booze! I was a sick puppy all day sat with a killer hangover... :partyman:

It is about a 4.5-5 hr drive pulling the boat....

not couting the ferry ride.....